3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: When practice time is limited....  (Read 231 times)

Offline Mooreski

• Trad Bowhunter
When practice time is limited....
« on: July 23, 2013, 07:44:00 AM »
I'm going through a time right now where I have less time to practice for a couple weeks. I have been shooting about 6-12 good quality arrows, and then doing my pull and hold for 20 second exercises then calling it a day.

Freaky thing is, I'm really shooting pretty good this way, but I know I'll go back to my much more involved practicing once things slow down a bit.

Anyone else care to weigh in on this?? Just wondering what you more experienced guys do for practice when time is limited. Thanks
"You can't build a reputation on what you are GOING to do." - Henry Ford

Offline Mooreski

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: When practice time is limited....
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 07:45:00 AM »
One more thing, I'm only doing the strength exercises every other day, or every other shooting session. Too much for every day for me.
"You can't build a reputation on what you are GOING to do." - Henry Ford

Offline bobman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 08:05:00 AM »
I cant shoot at all right now but for many years...

I rarely shot more than 25 arrows and usually shot every other day...its just like weight lifting your muscles need recuperation time to recover and get stronger. Shot 70lb bows for about 35 years injury free by allowing my body to recover overtraining is a path to shoulder injuries.

I do a lot of visualization on my off days sound strange but it worked for me.

Quality is more important than quantity IMO. I am a deadly shot.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 10:12:00 AM »
Just a suggestion for all the Old F**** (old folks) out there. DO NOT play on the monkey bars with your 6-yr old granddaughter who has calluses on her hands from the hours she spends on them.

I just hope I have not done permanent damage to my right shoulder. Can't lift my right arm now. I'm keeping it iced several times throughout the day and hoping I just strained something and didn't actually tear it.

I don't think wisdom necessarily comes with age   :(
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 11:10:00 AM »
Visualization is great and it really helps! I only shoot a few arrows a day and find that it really helps with consistency and accuracy. I used to shoot a 100 a day and was a terrible shot then I slowed it way down and it really tightened my groups up. Even now I'm just fully recovered from a broken arm and after a two month break I'm shooting better than ever before. It's hard because it's just so much fun to shoot! I think you have a good shooting regime and should stick with it. Quality over quantity.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 11:28:00 AM »
I do this as well.  I have all day, every day (so to speak) to practice but at the same time I have a sick body to respect.  Doing it this way is actually letting me creep up my draw weight some while improving my accuracy, and I don't have to come in and take heavy painkillers afterwards.

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »
One arrow only each morning - then a few dozen in the evening.  I always shoot one arrow from my hunting stool or tree saddle most every morning - I live with that shot all day.

Evenings I work on form (bale work) and various distances.  On weekends I try to stump shoot while I scout.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 01:14:00 PM »
I try to shoot every day, but it's usually only couple dozen arrows at a time.  In poor weather or if time is really tight it might just be two or three arrows at my 8 yard indoor target.  I learned a long time ago that a few arrow in several sessions is better than lots of arrows in one session.  Not only fatigue but boredom and lack of focus can creep up pretty quickly for me.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 05:39:00 PM »
Quality practice...even if you have almost no time, a few GOOD arrows are what you really need.

I usually shoot several rounds of arrows about twice a week....but I shoot three or four arrows EVERY DAY!...with the first one being the most important.

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 06:47:00 PM »
I am in the same boat with a 3 and 5 yr olds keeping me busy. Hope i can shoot a lot more before season.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©