3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: traditional bowhunting TV  (Read 634 times)

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: traditional bowhunting TV
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2013, 06:50:00 PM »
Yeah, the only way it would work if the producers of said show were traditional bowhunters themselves, because unless you are a truly dedicated traditional bowhunter, you don't get it, you don't understand why we do what we do, the ideal show to me would have more time spent around a campfire than in the woods, would show the dedication and diligent practice, honing ones skills shooting, sharpening, arrow building etc.... I know enough of the general public that finds those processes insignificant, point is that most of the MOB just doesn't get and probably never will. The only hunting show in the past decade worth it's salt was the videos that Keith beam and brooks Johnson from double bull archery put out, because to them it was about fun and you could see that clear as a Montana sky
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Offline TJ Arney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2013, 07:22:00 PM »
What's sad now, IMHO, is that many of these "archers' shown on these shows are making a switch to crossbows.  As if we didn't have enough marketing being pushed for "training-wheel" bows here comes something that some what resembles a bow with a scope mounted on it.  So much for effective range!

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2013, 07:26:00 PM »
I'd love to see a traditional hunting show but I would settle for any archery hunting show, stickbows or compounds, that wasn't 50% marketing, 30% idiots jumping, screaming, and high-fiving over a kill, 15% juvenile humor, and had more than 5% actual footage of game, scenery, and realistic hunting.

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2013, 07:43:00 PM »
If you have not read it yet, I highly recommend the editorial in the Aug/Sept 2013 "Traditional Bowhunter" magazine.  It is titled, "The Joy of Cooking," and it speaks to how our newest friends, the culinary community, are discovering venison, and with it, hunting.  While neither the article nor any of the cooking shows/books/magazines are specific to trad, the sentiment is leaning our way (if you squint your eyes just right).

OK...it's not Trad TV, yet, but I sense a strong resurgence toward self-reliance and minimalist lifestyles in much of the current TV programming.  

Just be careful what you ask for.....How many newbie trad wannabees do you want stumbling into your honey hole looking to kill a deer within the 30 minutes it takes to do so on television?

Kingsnake

Offline stiknstringer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2013, 08:00:00 PM »
There must be enough trad video's out with several hunts on them. If  just one hunt a week was shown, could produce a season's worth of shows. Just get permission to use them  :dunno:

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2013, 09:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:
There is a cool series coming up in September on "Back Lands TV" about the evolution of archery. Scott Anderson is the producer. They start with the "Ice Archer" they found in Europe and will go through a lot of different traditional bows to the compound bow.

Scott Anderson will be hunting all next year with traditional equipment. It should be interesting to watch....Kirk
Will he be using a Bigfoot bow like Sasquatch?
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
My question is....why??  I honestly think that the things that draw hunters to traditional archery are antithetical to big-time commercial production.  And I don't mean just the equipment.  None of the serious hard-core traditional bowhunters I know would be interested in putting themselves on TV.  That would just ruin it.   :(

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2013, 09:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by Easykeeper:
I'd love to see a traditional hunting show but I would settle for any archery hunting show, stickbows or compounds, that wasn't 50% marketing, 30% idiots jumping, screaming, and high-fiving over a kill, 15% juvenile humor, and had more than 5% actual footage of game, scenery, and realistic hunting.
True words. About the only show that fits this bill at all us Meateater, and it isn't archery at all...

Offline C.Cannon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2013, 09:59:00 PM »
Call me overly optimistic but a trad hunting show would work great on tv right now. Just not on regular outdoor channels.

Get a guy who is charismatic, genuine, a crack shot, knows a lot about nature and is good at sharing information. Have him tour wild places all over the world while showing the animals and people of the place while hunting with a trad bow (think Steve Irwin mixed with Howard Hill). I don’t even think you would need that many hunting sponsors

With what shows are popular now History, Discovery and National Geographic would start a war trying to get the rights to a show like that

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2013, 11:50:00 PM »
Ryan,
Why have a web-site devoted to traditional archery hunting? None of the serious hardcore traditional bowhunters I know even own computers.
Good thing Howard Hill or Fred Bear were never interested in filming hunts,lol!
Just kidding man:)
I do get where you are coming from, though.
It does seem counter-intuitive in some ways, but today I was fletching arrows, now I'm typing on a computer, and tomorrow I will be guiding hog hunters. A dad and two young sons, I'm even taking my 9 year old son/apprentice along to help out!
It just literally pains me to see some of the garbage TV that's out there.
I'm just saying we can do a lot better.
We have a far more interesting story to tell.
It's literally older than the written word and there are a growing number of people that are being drawn to the real archery.

Lets give then an authentic TV show about bowhunting, or, if they happen to be at our campfire, tell them a true hunting story(they should be one in the same).

Online graybarkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2013, 11:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by ron w:
As much as it would be nice to see a quality Trad Bow hunting show, I just know that the media would screw it up and make us look bad in some way.....    :archer:      :archer:  
I couldn't agree more... don't wake the dog..

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2013, 01:14:00 PM »
look at how the hunting vids have changed over the years, compound mainly, but the same with the wenzels and Paul Brunners productions of earlier days,I really enjoyed Alan Altizer slipping up on a bedded buck or spending 1/2 the time explaining his scouting etc...as well as Barry making that great running shot..  that kinda stuff could make a great show, but to just sit in a tree stand and shoot deer or whatever no matter what the equipment has no attraction to me in the least..it seems all the newer folks are just interested in the end result that being the kill, and it needs to happen quickly... i would love to see a good trad show that offered adventure and knowledge  not just "smoking" a monster " shooter buck"
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2013, 01:46:00 PM »
I think a trad show would leave out a lot of stuff I truly hate. How many shows have you guys seen where after the shot you hear "  he's down, he's down? Or when a buck shows up during the last 8 minutes of the show, you just know he's done for.

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2013, 02:02:00 PM »
The biggest reason it will never happen and I'm glad is, stickbow hunting is not an over night deal. It takes time and work to become proficient enough to even be ethical to take to the woods. Plus most bowyers are not going to throw money at folks to use there product to get rich, they enjoy building them one at a time and catering to the small following they have.

And biggest reason, most traditional hunters me included even though I'm still a green horn, relizaes 99.99 percent of the stuff marketed today is a joke. Guys been killing big deer in jeans and flannel shirts for years. Can you see a guy setting in a tree stand holding a long bow with cedars and a ozone machine strapped to the tree.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2013, 02:13:00 PM »
If we had our own show, I wouldn't want it aired on the same channel as shows with jerks like razor dobbs.  Guilt by association.  On the other hand, if that dirt bag can get a show, there's no reason one of the good guys here can't get one.

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2013, 02:33:00 PM »
$$$, its all about $ and sponsors...thats why fred went from shooting a palmer recurve to a hoyt. just the way things work im guessing. i always thought black widow would eventually come out with a trad show, im sure the company has the financial means to break into this market. i too wish we had an all trad tv show.

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2013, 02:35:00 PM »
Watch those shows with a make fun mindset. I watched one a while back and the bowhunter said that his 6 year old son asked him "to harvest a mature doe". Can you guys imagine a 6 year old talking like that? Maybe after the kid said that he went back to reading the wall street journal.

Offline ichibuns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2013, 06:10:00 PM »
I remember the only trad hunting on t v was the late Mr. Fred Bear on  the  Wild Kingdom show

Offline krink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2013, 01:58:00 PM »
I think the best way to get more Trad on the TV is to have it partner with a program that is already running.  You have a segment here and there.  IF it gets more views then there would be a place for a dedicated show.  With the views the sponsors will come IE more money for the network.
The raising of that flag on Suribachi means a Marine Corps for the next five hundred years.
---James Forrestal

Sticks and stones will break some bones and feed my family this winter.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »
Probably 15 or 20 years ago, Gary Morris (country and western singer) had an "all trad" TV show, on Sunday afternoon, I believe.  He frequently had a primitive bowyer named Brad Smith.  The show lasted maybe 2 years.  The show was very low key, very tasteful, and very enjoyable, at least to me.  Sure wish they hadn't cancelled it.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©