3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My shooting is coming around. Finally!  (Read 303 times)

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
My shooting is coming around. Finally!
« on: July 24, 2013, 11:35:00 AM »
As with many of you, I have been shooting all summer. For me, I usually get out once per week and shoot as many arrows as I can before I fatigue. Well lately, my shooting is beginning to improve. Here is a group I shot today at 15 yards. I have shot similar groups like this recently, so that's how I know my shooting is getting better.

I wish I could shoot this well at 20 yards. I can't believe how much worse my groups became at 20 yards. Oh well. Little victories, right?

Offline toby

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My shooting is coming around. Finally!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 11:43:00 AM »
Nice shooting
TOBY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 11:46:00 AM »
Thanks, toby. I have really struggled over the years with consistency, so it feels good to getting a little closer to that goal.

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 12:04:00 PM »
that is some good shootig but try throwing a cover or blanket over that target and get rid of those little targets which might work for sights but not for instinctive archery.

its really too much to think about looking at those tiny things that look inches apart at 20yds,,,, I like a plain solid color brown target face so I can focus on a certain spot or shaded section I see and not worry about some bright dot drawing my eye or forcing me to shoot at it,,

there won't be any dots on the deers.... because you've struggled a bit give this a try and let me know what you think,, at first its strange but eventually its a real confidence booster trust me....
"Us vs Them"

Offline NittanyRider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 01:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tajue17:
I like a plain solid color brown target face so I can focus on a certain spot or shaded section I see and not worry about some bright dot drawing my eye or forcing me to shoot at it
I'm new to archery, so my experience is limited, but in my case, I couldn't agree more with this statement.  I've been doing "bridging drills" lately where I cover the face of the target with butcher paper and shoot at varying distances from the target.  My only goal is to focus on my form and make sure I execute a perfect shot every time.  When I focus on my form and not the bullseye, I generally put the arrows right where I want to. However, when I take the paper off and "aim" for one of the dots, half the time I rush or forget a step in the shot sequence and that always results in a bad shot.  Eventually, I hope that I can burn the shot sequence in so deep that a dot on a target doesn't act like a wrench in the spokes.  I went to a shooting clinic with Rod Jenkins in March and he told me that putting it all together is kind of like rubbing your stomach and patting your head at the same time.  Come to think of it, I can't do that yet, either!    :biglaugh:

Offline toby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 01:30:00 PM »
Longbow, I see you have a Dwyer and a Toelke,  which do you prefer?
Toby
TOBY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 02:19:00 PM »
Toby, They are both great bows and both are great Bowyers. I prefer my Toelke though. The next bow I buy will be a Toelke Whip.

Thanks for the shooting advice. I actually aim for the dots because I'm a gap shooter. I will give it a try though, Tajue & NittanyRider.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 03:33:00 PM »
Great shooting!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 05:28:00 PM »
Thanks, Victory.

Offline dougedwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 05:36:00 PM »
Good shooting.  I have been shooting for almost three months now and still have trouble finding day to day consistency but it is all fun.

Doug
But you brethren are not of the flesh but of the Spirit if indeed the Spirit of Christ lives within you. Romans 8

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 05:55:00 PM »
So true, Doug. I've been shooting for 4 1/2 years. I guess I'm a slow learner.   :biglaugh:

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 06:01:00 PM »
Your shooting looks good to me. Traditional is really a simple thing, just be consistent. Well it sounds easy enough, lol...

Keep up the good work   :thumbsup:

Offline dougedwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 08:46:00 AM »
This is quite a transition from the compound bow world.  When I now shoot 6 arrows within a 7" group of the dot at 20 yards I consider it a triumph.  Used to be that I was very disappointed to do that at 40 yards.  But I sure did have a whole lot of contraptions on my compound and it did take some time even with all that accessory help to develop consistent accuracy.

Now, instead of shooting something that feels like a piece of furniture in my hand it feels like I am handling a fly rod and at 58 yrs old I am learning new tricks.  How cool is that?

I agree. Little victories are what is it all about!

Doug
But you brethren are not of the flesh but of the Spirit if indeed the Spirit of Christ lives within you. Romans 8

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 09:55:00 AM »
Toby, I agree with fanatic in that they're both great bows.  I'm currently shooting a whip and it's raised my standard of how a one piece longbow can shoot.  That said I've got a new dwyer coming any day now and I'm selling my whip for no better reason than I need the money to fund the new bow.  Personally I think the whip might have an edge in shooting qualities, but the customization and options and shooting qualities of the dwyer make it a horse apiece.  I'd be happy with either and probably happiest with both!
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 04:23:00 PM »
When you decide you have it COMPLETELY figured out...

... just shoot o-n-e more arrow!   :rolleyes:  

Keep after it.  It's great when things start coming together.
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline tradarcher816

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 08:34:00 PM »
Good shooting, keep it up
Love God, Love your neighbor.

Offline pcg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 08:40:00 PM »
Great thread. All about constant, consistent practice.
-1 John Schulz RH bows
-2 TimberHawk Monarchs LH, RH
-3 GP Swift T/Ds, LH & RH; GP Long Curve RH
-3 Dave Miller longbows LH, RH
-3 Rempp selfbows

'Bow' in Greek means life but its work is death. -Heraclitus

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »
Don't you just love it when a plan stumbles together?
Sam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 07:28:00 PM »
Thanks, tradarcher. So true,pcg! LOL, Sam!

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2013, 11:58:00 AM »
Great job! My biggest thing now is slowing down my shot. I tend to shoot to fast, regardless of draw weight.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©