3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Big 2 blades....wind planing?  (Read 353 times)

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
Big 2 blades....wind planing?
« on: July 24, 2013, 07:01:00 PM »
Anyone have issues with this? Normally I don't but today I noticed a difference. Field points are flying well and are hitting right where I'm wanting, but my Magnus 1's seem to be flying just a tad squirrely.  

Just want some opinions before I change anything. Could just be that my release was off today...happens sometimes.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Big 2 blades....wind planing?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 07:10:00 PM »
Yep.  Some days I'm thinking it must be the wind until I notice its not windy!  Usually a day later they're flying pretty good again.  I'd wait a bit before you change anything up.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline rkelly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 07:36:00 PM »
TxAg

Shot zwicky delta's for years.  Whenever I had that problem, it was a spine issue.  (too light)
Always shot shafts spine 5# heavier than I thought I needed and the wide heads shot well.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 08:04:00 PM »
This head was mounted vertically. After doing a little digging in the archives, seems that position is more prone to a bad release or swirling wind.

I'll try horizontal tomorrow and post my findings.

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 08:21:00 PM »
I used to use the wide Magnus, shot a bunch of deer with them as well. One day shooting at a really nice buck with a quartering tailwind, about 30 yards, my arrow took a side step that I could hardly believe. After the deer bolted I shot a second arrow, that one side stepped as well. I lost both arrows. I only use Hills and Grizzlies these days, they do not ever side step in the wind.

Offline Old Chief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »
TxAg

I too tune everything to shoot the deltas.  If you think your spine is right, You might try a slightly higher nocking point, 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch.  It has worked for me several times.  Once I tune to a wide 2 blade, everything seems to fly right for me YMMV.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 08:37:00 PM »
Those big Magnus 2 blades can be picky.  I  used to get the best results mounting them horizontally or the 2 o'clock 8 o'clock orientation (if right handed, if left handed reverse to 10 o'clock 4 o'clock).

I don't shoot them much anymore as Tusker Delta's are nearly as big but fly much better, as do Simmons Sharks despite being wider than the Magnus.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 08:39:00 PM »
Not with Z Deltas....shot many a shot with Mag 1s....no issues...

Contact Charlie Lamb...he's been using Mag 1s for YEARS.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 09:12:00 PM »
If your spine is too light or your fletching is too small you can get what you've described.

Offline valleysniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 09:44:00 PM »
I shoot a Sasquatch, no problems both field tips and broadheads fly to same point of impact.,---they are really wide

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »
Make sure your fletching is adequate. I set up with 4- 5" feathers with a pretty good helical. Make sure the head is on in perfect alignment and of course the spine of your arrow needs to be correct.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 10:37:00 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys.

Here is my set up...I'll get real detailed
62" Toelke Whip HS
50@my 29.25"
Bow is cut to center and I have a calf hair strike plate (thin)
9 strand ultracam flemish twist string
Yarn puffs
Two tied on nocking point. Top one at 1/2"
I shoot a tab and split finger
Gt Trads 55/75
30.5"
Standard insert (18 gr i think)
1.25" of 2216 footing weighing 15 grains
200 grain head
Nocks aren't too tight
3x5" feathers
Total arrow weight is 540 gr

P.s. i have a 64" whip set up exactly the same way

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 10:38:00 PM »
Whoops...double post

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 03:31:00 PM »
You need to wrap that fletching around the shaft as your jig allows. I mean full helical. The other solution, use a larger feather cut with as much helical you can apply.

Take one arrow and try 5.5" High Back Shield or low profile Banana cuts. I also would align my broadheads horizontal, not vertical.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 03:38:00 PM »
Got home early and shot a few arrows. I tried the blades horizontally and my release felt better today. Arrows hit where they were supposed to...go figure, haha.

I still have it in the back of my mind that a different shaped head might fly better for those just-in-case moments.....but i sure do like these heads.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 04:34:00 PM »
I don't think it's the shape of the head.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 04:40:00 PM »
I had the same problem, switched to 3 blade. Now I'm shooting Simmons. They seem to fly better and be not as finicky. I use four 5"parabolic like Charlie as well.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 09:41:00 PM »
I know that you're a technical fellow. That being said, I know that your bare shafts are flying good. I would check the actual weight of the BH's. I have found a few BH's that were not consistent in weight at all.

I keep a bare shaft or two in my quiver for my daily form check. I have never had a problem with BH alignment when all of the variables are the same (BH and FP weight).

The only problem that I have had, was a vented BH that whistled but I believe that was a speed thing because it hit where it was suppose to. Those Journeyman bows will smoke an arrow.

I'm betting that you will make them work, good luck   :thumbsup:

Online Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2013, 10:00:00 PM »
Poor flight with big two blade (Magnus I) seemed to happen more when I shot woods exclusive but now using carbons w/EFoC not as much.  I concede to spending a lot of time dedicated to bare shaft tuning and tuning my bow, ad nauseam.  I have also reduced my fletching from 5.5" shield to 3, 4" para or shield w/excellent results.  Changing to concave & fluted BH's this season, namely the Tree Shark and Big Game head from Centaur also enhance excellent arrow flight from far less fletch than I ever thought possible.  Ashby/Adcock article on A&A fletching is excellent read Re: subj.

It can be very frustrating to have poor arrow flight and not figure it out.  Stick with it and try things outside your norm to brainstorm.  It's all a learning experience.

Best of luck!

Kris

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 12:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by Caughtandhobble:
I know that you're a technical fellow. That being said, I know that your bare shafts are flying good. I would check the actual weight of the BH's. I have found a few BH's that were not consistent in weight at all.

I keep a bare shaft or two in my quiver for my daily form check. I have never had a problem with BH alignment when all of the variables are the same (BH and FP weight).

The only problem that I have had, was a vented BH that whistled but I believe that was a speed thing because it hit where it was suppose to. Those Journeyman bows will smoke an arrow.

I'm betting that you will make them work, good luck    :thumbsup:  
Thanks Ben. I think you are right....I can make them work. i do like the big two blades. i'm going to lighten them up by 25 grains and pay attention to blade orientation. Figure that can't hurt. 175 grain field tips shoot just like my 200s. I'll still be over 10 gpp.

Will post my findings

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©