3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2 blade broad head orientation ?  (Read 434 times)

Offline skychief

• Trad Bowhunter
2 blade broad head orientation ?
« on: July 25, 2013, 09:31:00 AM »
For the users of 2 blade broad heads, do you orient them in a particular way, thinking ( or knowing ), that you get better flight ?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Skychief.

Offline dlnwohio

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2 blade broad head orientation ?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »
Mine are at 8 o'clock and 2 o'clock so when I can't my bow it puts them at 9 and 3 o'clock.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 09:49:00 AM »
I have all mine vertical.  No reason.. and they are all the same.  I don't want to be looking down the shaft at an elk and have a bh that is aligned differently, giving my mind an excuse to 'wonder'
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Online black velvet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 10:08:00 AM »
Vertical, but that's just my preference.

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 10:11:00 AM »
If you are tuned well it does not make a hill of beans. I like mine horizontal to keep the BH out of my sight picture. I cant my bow so the BH's are actually aligned at about 1 and 7 o'clock so that when I draw they are level horizontal 3 and 9 o'clock)

Bisch

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 10:26:00 AM »
I'm with Bisch.   Horizontal, out of my sight picture.  I don't like to have a blade sticking upright on the end of an arrow, just my personal feelings.
Mel Riley

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 10:55:00 AM »
Horizontal....
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 11:18:00 AM »
I've always went with vertical. I had a video of Paul Brunner mounting two blade heads onto an arrow and he said to always mount them vertical, I just always followed this advice and it seemed to work fine.

Offline White Falcon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »
Vertical.

Offline tex-archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 11:31:00 AM »
Horizontal for me.
Aim small, miss small!!

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 11:34:00 AM »
ok man.. theoretically... I figured I should mount them horizontally because an arrow bends more right and left coming around the riser than up and down....thought maybe the head wouldn't have as much chance to steer the arrow before it straightened out and started spinning.

.... after trying both ways ( - & I ) I couldn't find any difference..but I'm not a great shot anyway.

Ended up I liked them like this ( - ) ..just liked the sight picture better...no other reason.... actually just a tad turned so when I shoot with my normal cant..the blade is straight across.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 11:34:00 AM »
Horizontal for me too. If you think about how the arrow goes through paradox it is flexing back and forth horizontally. I'd rather the broadhead "cut" through the air than have that wide area act as a "sail" or interfere with the arrow's aerodynamics. Just a small thing. But it is the way I do it. Plus there isn't anything in my sight picture sticking up off the shaft.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 11:37:00 AM »
It makes no difference at all to me. I mount them on the shaft then rotate the head until the shaft spins true.

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 11:38:00 AM »
What ever makes you happy really!  If how the broadhead appears in your sight picture while aiming matters to you,  then accommodate for that.  If it does not,  then you have every option....so long as they spin test true!  Myself,   I lean toward horizontal as much as possible....my arrows dont hang off the shelf but 1.5 inches and I just like knowing the cutting edge is not perpendicular to my bow gripping index finger...that just puts me a little more at ease is all.  Also,  I can see the tip of the head a little more....gives me a better peripheral in regards to what is going on.  If I mount the head and its spins truest a little left or right of dead horizontal,  thats where it gets epoxied to the insert.  Broadheads or fieldpoints in flight and point of impact...no difference for me!  Ive been shooting mostly Ace standards.  Some Simmons as well!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 11:54:00 AM »
With wood shafts there is only one way to haft a head on, vertical. That's proof enough that orientation means nothing. Folks where hafting heads on wayyyyy before ferrules and glue came around.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 12:49:00 PM »
vertical   i dont like seeing the head in my sight picture and to me a horzional 2 blade is distracting...
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 01:03:00 PM »
Because I aim with split vision, I like my heads flat, want no interference with anything in my sight picture...
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 01:22:00 PM »
What Joe Skipp said.....
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2013, 03:02:00 PM »
Vertical....in John Schulz book he said if you mount them horizontal a person could get excited and draw the BH into the back of the bow and cause the arrow to fall off the string in the heat of the moment. He said this has happened more than once. If they are vertical you will feel the BH  against your finger before this happens.

Offline dink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2013, 03:51:00 PM »
Vertical for i shoot with a open grip with my pointer finger sticking out.feel safer not thinking im going to cut my finger off.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©