3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: hunting from a climber  (Read 688 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
hunting from a climber
« on: July 25, 2013, 01:03:00 PM »
What kind of climbing stand do you hunt from?  I am shooting either a 60" Hoyt Dorado or a homemade 66" r/d longbow.  I am wondering if anyone hunts with an enclosed climber.

pictures would be great,

Thanks,
Daniel
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: hunting from a climber
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 01:12:00 PM »
Summit Open Shot or Lone Wolf hand climber.  Setup is still critical though.  Setup such that most probable shot is from 10 to 2 o'clock position for maximum clearance
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »
Timely topic for me.  I'm in the market for a new climber myself.  I want to face away from the tree without a bar in front of me.  I also want a BIG bottom section.  What are some recommendations based on that criteria?
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 01:28:00 PM »
I hunt from an enclosed climber. I generally lower the top portion as far as it will go or even turn it around backwards once I reach my desired height. This year though I'm thinking about chopping that bar off though and turning it into an open shot
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 02:21:00 PM »
I use a Summit Bushmaster. I would recommend a Summit open shot. The lone Wolf sit and climb is nice just out of my price range.RC

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 02:30:00 PM »
I use the summit, I think it is a razor, it is sit and climb. It has a front bar that folds down after you climb the tree.  This is the best climbing stand that I have ever used.
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 02:31:00 PM »
I use the summit, I think it is a razor, it is sit and climb. It has a front bar that folds down after you climb the tree.  This is the best climbing stand that I have ever used.
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 03:24:00 PM »
The only climbing stand I've ever had is a Lone Wolf hand climber.  I like the fold-flat ability for packing (get a molle harness) and that it doesn't have a rail in the way of shooting.  I also like the way I can silently fold the seat up against the tree giving me the whole platform for standing.  The seat also comes back down silently although I don't sit much.  The Lone Wolf hand climber has one weakness...no good for naps.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 03:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by Easykeeper:
The only climbing stand I've ever had is a Lone Wolf hand climber.  I like the fold-flat ability for packing (get a molle harness) and that it doesn't have a rail in the way of shooting.  I also like the way I can silently fold the seat up against the tree giving me the whole platform for standing.  The seat also comes back down silently although I don't sit much.  The Lone Wolf hand climber has one weakness...no good for naps.
X2.  LW hand climber is money well spent.  Brother shoots a recurve and had an API sit-n-climb with a front bar.  "It's sooo comfortable" he told me.  I said "shoot out of it".
"Well, that's not so easy..."
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 04:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by T-Bowhunter:
Same stand here. Better combo would probably be an open shot top, with a razor bottom. Razor bottom is longer than the open shot bottom.
Can't afford what I really want...lone wolf.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Blessed One

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 04:04:00 PM »
I have the LW hand climber as well but also have the extra wide sit and climb seat for longer days not as easy to shoot but alot more comfortable. The hand climber is just like being in a lock on.
Working that Northern Mist Mojo!
Making the transition from one who hunts bows to one who bowhunts!

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 06:42:00 PM »
Get the lone wolf. The bar folds under the seat and out of the way + now they have the seat that looks like a hang on. Got that one last year - awesome!! Expensive but well worth the money.
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 07:00:00 PM »
I prefer the Lone wolf sit and climb
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 07:01:00 PM »
I prefer the Lone wolf sit and climb
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 07:28:00 PM »
My next tree stand purchase(one of these days)will be a guido's web. My buddy has one and it's awesome. Super comfortable and easy to shoot from.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »
I use open shot (seat folds back) and Viper bottom (already had the bottom).  It is 4" longer and a little more comfortable.  If you are tall (I am not) that Open Shot platform is short!  It is solid and pretty quiet once situated.  

Looking hard at that Lone Wolf Flip Top climber - its a good bit of $$$, so maybe next year.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 07:34:00 PM »
I marry the bottom of a TimberTall with the top of the Lone Wolf sit & climb.  The TimberTall is so much lighter than the LW that it makes carrying very easy.  The fact that the TT has a self leveling feature and you never have to worry about the bottom [portion not being level because you misjudged the taper of the tree.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 08:44:00 PM »
Interesting combo Stinger. I have both stands and may try this out.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Cmane07

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2013, 08:48:00 PM »
I always stick to my ol man multi-vision.  Never have problems shooting from most angles and a great stand in my opinion.
Caleb Hinton

58" PA-X cocobolo 50lbs @28"
"Luck favors preparation"

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2013, 09:04:00 PM »
I use a Summit Viper. It is closed in with the bar, but I keep the back rest which is supposed to go against the tree, folded down to set on, so it raises me up slightly when I am seated. I shoot a 56" recurve when I am in that stand, and I have no trouble at all.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©