3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: hunting from a climber  (Read 689 times)

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: hunting from a climber
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2013, 10:39:00 PM »
I have the Lone Wolf hand climber top with the loggy base (cable model).It's a nice combo.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2013, 10:47:00 PM »
Lone wolf hand climb combo for.me easy to shoot out of easy to pack nice and flat. quietest stand I ever used especially when the temp drops below zero.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2013, 11:23:00 PM »
i am torn between getting two different climbers(unfortunately i can't because of $$). And i like both of them for different reasons.  

I like the Summit open shot.
- from what i can see, it looks like it is basically a lock on(which would be my #1 option if i owned my own land, but hunting public land, a climber is way more convenient).  My worries are that the seat would not be very comfortable, i am used to the strap type seat that is basically like a chair and i love that, which is why my second choice for a stand would be the Summit Cobra SD.  It has the open front, and the seat i am already in love with.  

Any comments?  I have never used either of these stands, so someone who has, please fill me in.  

Daniel
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2013, 12:56:00 AM »
I had a Summit Razor SS. You could sit on the bar to climb and then fold it under and out of the way. It was very comfortable and quiet. I sold it because of knee problems. They are around $300.00
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2013, 01:16:00 AM »
Summit open shot for me. Its a very good stand but i do like the idea of a slightly larger platform
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2013, 05:55:00 AM »
I don't like any rails when using my recurves..so use Lone Wolf Hand Climber and Summit Open Shot with an older Summit Open Front bottom.

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2013, 07:58:00 AM »
The only climber I use is the Summit Viper. I have had a couple Lone Wolf climbers. I have used the Treesuit and the Guidos Web. I prefer the bar and with a little adjustment it becomes an advantage.

I bought a web seat to replace the seat that came with the Viper.

http://hazmore.net/cart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=2

I also bought a set of these straps.  http://www.thirdhandarchery.com/product.asp?PRODID=13

These will lock the top of the Viper down enabling me to lean into the bar to make a shot. I can sit on it or lean without it moving.

Offline JLeMieux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2013, 08:09:00 AM »
I have an Ol' Man. Extremely comfortable but it is not ideal. I had a Summit Razor and it was very comfortable as well but still not ideal. I think the open front Summits, excluding the Razor, will be your best bet for a good mix of functionality and comfort.
Acadian Woods TD Recurve 58 @ 28
Acadian Woods Recurve 55 @ 28
Acadian Woods Tree Stick 60 @ 27
Acadian Woods Tree Stick 47 @ 28
Martin Hunter Recurve 50 @ 28

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2013, 08:22:00 AM »
For climbers,  SUMMIT is THE BOMB!  I have 2 Vipers (current version)  I recently retired the original I bought way back when it first came out.  That one was made of STEEL!!!   Heavy,  but safe and super comfy.
I couldnt imagine a better climbing tree stand.  I had an open shot but unfortunately that one was stolen.   The open shot was very nice.  Not quite the security of the Viper...but still way comfy.  You couldnt go wrong with a Summit....customer service is top notch as well.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2013, 08:28:00 AM »
Timely thread

First off hats off to hey deer an I don't know where you find this stuff but I'm gonna get my summit Goliath upgraded

I have had my Goliath for a few years sit and climb I'm not the most nimble fella but the sit and climb is great does it pose some challenges shooting out of YES  however it is  safe and secure I love it it is quiet and very easy to climb with

The dual strap is an amazing upgrade looking forward to that and the mesh seat

The Goliath is slightly oversized seat and platform if I recall

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2013, 08:32:00 AM »
Originally posted by VictoryHunter:
I hunt from an enclosed climber. I generally lower the top portion as far as it will go or even turn it around backwards once I reach my desired height. This year though I'm thinking about chopping that bar off though and turning it into an open shot
Not sure I'd go about that....those stands are specifically engineered as each model and undergo stringet testing as designed.  Even something as simple as drilling a hole anywhere in that sucker could be chance of compromised integrity of the structure.   At the very least, call the good people at Summit and see what they say or if they could possibly help.  Just be careful,  please!   I hate to hear about our brothers and sisters falling from trees.....  :scared:

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2013, 09:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by LookMomNoSights:

Originally posted by VictoryHunter:
I hunt from an enclosed climber. I generally lower the top portion as far as it will go or even turn it around backwards once I reach my desired height. This year though I'm thinking about chopping that bar off though and turning it into an open shot
Not sure I'd go about that....those stands are specifically engineered as each model and undergo stringet testing as designed.  Even something as simple as drilling a hole anywhere in that sucker could be chance of compromised integrity of the structure.   At the very least, call the good people at Summit and see what they say or if they could possibly help.  Just be careful,  please!   I hate to hear about our brothers and sisters falling from trees.....   :scared:  [/b]
I totally agree. It would not be wise to cut something that was designed a certain way and then trust your life 20 feet in the air way back in the woods. Not a good idea. I would just get a new stand.

Offline hogless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2013, 10:01:00 AM »
You can order separate tops or bottoms from summit to mix match what you want. I had the bushmaster gave it to son and got a open shot .we are both happy

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2013, 10:23:00 AM »
This will be my 10th season using my Summit Viper and love the thing.  Think it's the xls model if that sounds right.  I upgraded to the plastic stirrups.  They work well.
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2013, 10:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by hogless:
You can order separate tops or bottoms from summit to mix match what you want. I had the bushmaster gave it to son and got a open shot .we are both happy
That is good to know.  I like a longer base than the open shot has.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2013, 03:25:00 PM »
API Grand Slam
I suppose it is what you called "enclosed?" It has a wrap around upper section. I prefer it rather than the open type just for my safety sakes. With my HSS I lean out ON the wraparound part when I stand up.

Also makes for a good bow holder while you're waiting for something to come along.

Romans 8:28

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2013, 04:21:00 PM »
Summit Viper, I have used a 64" recurve out of it, very comfy and good for all day sits...if I can makes myself do it.  I usually position the top half with the seat and rail just a little below my waist line and haven't had any problems, you just have to get used to it and be aware of your surroundings.  If you have a place where you can use it in your yard to practice from helps too, along with kids willing to pull arrows and send them up in  a back quiver so you don't wear yourself out going up and down.
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2013, 07:41:00 PM »
I have a Lone wolf hand climber and it just tears me apart when I try to climb with it, if it wasn't a gift I'd of sold it by now but I'll keep trying to figure it out.

the best stand I ever sat in was a ole man multi-vision that you could use as a hand climber with plenty of room for your arms to lift, a sit and climb, you can sit and face the tree or face away, the foot rest spins around for a gun rest or to lay your head on as a knap bar last time out I sat for 11hrs in that baby with no probs,,,heavy though at 26lbs!  then I got the next best thing and that was gorillas version of the same stand but a little lighter.
"Us vs Them"

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2013, 07:47:00 PM »
I use the Summit Viper SS. I agree with the previous advice to lower upper bar or turn stand to face away from expected shooting lanes. The Lone Wolf Assault Hand Climber is what I'm hoping to receive for my birthday this year!   :pray:

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2013, 07:51:00 PM »
Hey Tajue17. Lone Wold now makes a strap to convert your hand climber to a sit and climb stand. Check it out. I hope this helps. It's called the Sit Strap.http://www.lonewolfhuntingproducts.com/shopping/Products/Hand-Climber-Sit-Strap__LWHCS.aspx

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©