3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: white spot  (Read 408 times)

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
white spot
« on: July 26, 2013, 11:12:00 AM »
Can you fix a white spot in the glass caused by a field point hitting it?
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Bob at Work

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: white spot
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 11:57:00 AM »
some will suggest a tiny drill bit and thin super glue...never worked for me but it makes sense...
hope someone has a cure...
Bob

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 12:10:00 PM »
You might try a tiny drill bit and some thin super glue. That should make bob a prophet and might fix the spot.

God bless and good luck, Steve

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 04:33:00 PM »
thanks
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 06:29:00 PM »
Interesting thread, here's why! A few years back I had a very nice Bob Lee long bow I got at a steal. Some friends and I were shooting out back and I missed a target and laid my bow down beside it to run up to the house to get another shaft. I returned to find the guys examining my bow and learned that one of them missed the target as well, striking my bow. By now you must be wondering why the moron (me) left the bow so close to the target. I aint figured that out yet. Anyway it left a small white spot like you described but seemingly nothing more. Later that evening I went out for another round by myself and after about 8 shots the limb collapsed on me and man was I sick. I think the impact sent a shock wave through the vineers and seperated the epoxy. Hope your's doesn't fold. Guess you don't want to disclose how your field point mark came to be do you?

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 07:04:00 PM »
Is the white spot from an arrow that was shot hitting the bow at speed or just on the inside of the riser from hitting the bow while nocking an arrow or handling the bow?
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »
just on the inside of the riser from hitting the bow while nocking an arrow or handling the bow?
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 09:04:00 AM »
Howard, I'm sure there's a solution Try your question on the bowyers bench forum and see if those guys will help. It might help to tell them what color glass. Seems some sort of clear laquer dirested right on the spot should do it. Best wishes.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 02:24:00 PM »
I think the drill and glue idea is for white spots under the glass to repair small glue separation or missed glue areas.  For most glass scratches and stuff I typically see a little dab of super glue recommended to fill the spot and seal up any loose glass fibers. It should also help cut down the visible whiteness of the spot.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 02:28:00 PM »
The super glue should work just don't blow on it. You will have a big white spot if you do.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2013, 02:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by xtrema312:
I think the drill and glue idea is for white spots under the glass to repair small glue separation or missed glue areas.  For most glass scratches and stuff I typically see a little dab of super glue recommended to fill the spot and seal up any loose glass fibers. It should also help cut down the visible whiteness of the spot.
Yip,
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2013, 03:20:00 PM »
Nicked mine with a sharp BH  :scared:  

Superglue placed so it'll leave a dot was the way I went. Once the superglue dried and somewhat flattened out I trimmed it totally flat with a razor knife, not even getting close to the fiberglass, but to bring the bump down to finish level and then some 0000 steel wool and no problems since.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2013, 07:50:00 PM »
It is just a cosmetic thing, I just try to keep my bows looking nice.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2013, 09:57:00 AM »
If it were just cosmetic, and it were mine, I would leave it alone. Drilling holes in bows seems scarier than having a white spot. Just my opinion.

all of my hunting bows show signs of being used.....
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©