3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: limb tip overlay repair  (Read 695 times)

Offline Mark Middleton

• Trad Bowhunter
limb tip overlay repair
« on: July 26, 2013, 02:09:00 PM »
I have a Groves Spitfire, and one of the overlays on the bottom limb tip popped off.  What would be the most appropriate glue to put it back on with?  Super glue, epoxy ...?  Thank you for any advice you can provide

http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/mmphoto49/library/

Offline delongbows

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: limb tip overlay repair
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 02:19:00 PM »
I always use smooth on...never had a failure with it. Just make sure the surfaces are roughed up good.
Dave

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 03:02:00 PM »
Smooth on also.  I have repaired a few lately with good results.  Don't clamp too tight.

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 03:16:00 PM »
Your question caught my attention because I have a tip overlay to repair, too, due to GT nocks breaking on my arrows.  (Darn things)
I happen to have Smooth On and plan on using it to glue the new pieces on.  About now, Mark, you are probably thinking, "What is Smooth On?"  It's a two part epoxy bowyers use for laminated bows.  Because I build the occassional bow I have some on hand.  It would be pretty expensive, though, to buy it just to repair a tip overlay.  If I were in your shoes I would purchase some very good two part epoxy at the hardware store for this purpose.  Be sure to sand and clean both surfaces well before gluing.  I use brake cleaner as it leaves no residue.
All the best in your fix,
Christopher

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 06:35:00 PM »
I would suggest a good 5-minute epoxy or medium density super glue.  They'd both work well.  Smooth-On is good too, if you have it on hand.  You;d just have to leave it clamped up longer.  No big deal.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline Mark Middleton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 01:25:00 PM »
Thank you all for your help.  I don't have any Smooth On, but I do have some 2 part epoxy, so I guess I'll just go with that and see what happens.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 08:49:00 PM »
When building new bows I use this brand of "impact resistant" "superglue" most of the time, never had a problem with it. I have used smooth on epoxy for tips and it is excellent.  I buy "smooth on" by the quart and always have plenty. Nothing wrong with Smooth On for bow tips,it just takes longer to cure.  Most people don't have a need for a quart of it, but a bottle of $5 superglue is nice to have around the house. The only tip failure I ever had was back in 1995 and I used a 5 minute epoxy for the tip overlays, very possible I didn't mix fast enough???    

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 09:02:00 PM »
2X what Robert said here... GG Impact resistant is excellent.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 01:44:00 AM »
3x Robert. I use the same glue exactly and have every since it was developed. I have never had a tip loss using it. I have had using epoxy but it was with antler and its hard to get a good bond to slick antler.

God bless, Steve

Offline Fanto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 04:54:00 AM »
i used 24hr Epoxy and had a failure, and it was maple to botuff

could have been a bif of wax as it was a bow that never had overlays

Offline Allen Boice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 03:17:00 PM »
Mark:

I would use super glue, Starbond EM-2000 or a similar product.

Offline Mark Middleton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 05:24:00 PM »
Wow, thanks for all of the replies!  This forum is amazing, everyone is always so willing to help. Sounds like super glue is the way to go.  I haven't seen any of the Starbond locally, but I have seen the Gorilla super glue, so I will pick some up this afternoon.  Thanks again for the help.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©