3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: shipping one-piece bows advice?  (Read 469 times)

Offline Scott Barr

• Trad Bowhunter
shipping one-piece bows advice?
« on: July 27, 2013, 01:51:00 PM »
I recently shipped my first one-piece bow in trade to another Tradgang member.  Wow!  Way more difficult to package and way more expensive than shipping take-downs.  I ended up cutting up and creating my own triangular box from honeycomb cardboard. Some of you must have some advice about packing one-piece bows securely and efficiently to keep cost down.

I keep thinking there must be someplace to buy light cardboard tube or something similar?

Scott

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: shipping one-piece bows advice?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 01:58:00 PM »
Call or drop an email to Tom Clum or his sons, Tommy or Dan at Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear, a sponsor here.  They sell and ship many bows nation wide.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 02:21:00 PM »
3 or 4inch PVC.  I cut 1" wood that will fit inside the ends of the PVC tube and secure it with screws.

Or try Mudd's method.   http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=128801
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 02:56:00 PM »
I've shipped in PVC, square cardboard and triangular.  Seems like it was easier in the triangular box though the square wasn't bad either.  PVC is definately a PITA.  What I have done recently is used the gray foam pipe insulation tubes to slip over the limbs and the grip area.  You will have to secure it with some tape in some areas but it seems to offer a lot of protection inside the box.

Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 03:13:00 PM »
I ship in PVC tubes. Due to the pain in the azz of packaging one piece recurves, I only own one piece longbows, two or three piece longbows and recurves now days.
If you can make or buy round wooden plugs to slip inside the ended of pvc tubes, go that route. You just secure them with screws, screwed in from the side. Don't think usps and ups can't and won't knock a cap off the end of a pvc tube; because, they can and will.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 03:44:00 PM »
If I were gonna use PVC and caps, i'd screw them on too.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 04:01:00 PM »
1 hour ago, I rec'd (new to me) a tremendous HH Kramer Tembo lb I've been waiting on for 2 weeks. It came in a triangular cardboard box that somehow had managed to be cut in half at the middle by the time it arrived. Lucky all is OK with the bow!

PVC is cheap & sure & you can cover the ends with tuna or tomato cans & duct tape. Tougher than ten dollars worth of jawbreakers!
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »
I hate shipping long one-piece bows, but so far have not had one damaged.  I have decide to never own another bow over 58” in a one piece unless I was sure I was not going to sell it or trade it off anytime soon.  Recurves in general and LB’s over 62” are hard to deal with for finding boxes.  I  have had people ship me bows in two triangle priority boxes taped together and even just a piece of  corrugated cardboard folded in half.  They all got to me fine, but scared me when I saw how they were packed.

Do a search on PVC tube and you will likely get more about them being damaged than any other packing method.  I will not use them. They roll off equipment and get damaged in shipping.  

Go to a UPS store and get the right size and shape box for the job.  Put in a lot of loose packing and add layers of extra cardboard or foam board to the sides if you can.  Make sure to have extra material in the ends of the box, and wrap the bow good with cloth or with bubble wrap.  Make sure to pad the tips a lot.  Insure.  Good luck.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 04:27:00 PM »
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 05:04:00 PM »
Shipping one-piece  bows try to keep the package under 84",that is length plus girth.If you go over 84" total you will be hit with an oversize surcharge.And keep the weight within 5-6 lbs.,some of the heavier PVC pipes can push the weight upto 10 lbs or slightly more.Also shipping rates have changed.When I ship a bow I measure the package and weigh it and then use the online postage calculator to get a close estimate.It cost more to ship to some zipcodes depending on where you are shipping from.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2013, 05:12:00 PM »
Heres one I made in 10 minutes or so. Worked flawless!!  :D  

Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline normf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2013, 06:29:00 PM »
I've had the PVC end cap break and the tip damaged by USPS. Last longbow I shipped was in a cardboard tube like they use for carpeting with enough bubble wrap that it wouldn't come out even with nothing on the ends. I cut some cardboard circles for the ends and taped it.
NFetscher

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2013, 06:50:00 PM »
I run down to the local home improvement store and ask for their empty carpet tubes. Then I cut to length and cut cardboard pieces to fit the end caps. Lots of duct tape on the ends. Inside, the bow is in a bow sock and a little extra oadding is nice, too.

This is lighter and cheaper than pvc but still pretty strong.

Edit: just saw that normf posted the same thing before me. Great minds think alike.

Offline normf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2013, 07:26:00 PM »
I concur
NFetscher

Offline el greco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2013, 07:51:00 PM »
The SIMPLEST ,cheapest way is this:go to your local office depot,order a few ups triangular boxes(they are free),once u get em, connect two together,you are done.indestuctable.
From my cold,dead hands..

Offline rick7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2013, 08:31:00 PM »
for longbows i use carpet tubes they work great for me

Online darin putman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2013, 09:17:00 PM »
I use green sewer drain pipe, cheaper and lighter than pvc. Cut bottom off two cheap plastic cups from dollar store, bubble wrap bow, put in tube, stick cups in ends and duct tape. Done, I've even stuck a few arrows around bow from one end to send with bow before.
Osage selfbow and Surewood shafts

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »
For longbows I get the cheap 3" pvc and 2 caps. Wrap bow slide in pvc, slide caps on. I then have some long rectangular cardboards boxes about 3x5", slide pvc tube in box, tape up and send on way. This has worked out very well for me. It doesn't weigh as much as sch 40 pvc and won't roll on conveyors.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2013, 07:22:00 AM »
Pete,
 That is a great idea with the pipe insulation and being a plumber most my life I should of thought of that years ago...I do use heavy cardboard carpet tubes and make wood plugs and screw them on and loads of package tape and bubble wrap when I do a trade or sell a bow but that pipe insulation is even better as far as protection inside a tube or box...Good tip Pete    :thumbsup:

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2013, 10:40:00 AM »
I've had the PVC end cap break and the tip damaged by USPS. Last longbow I shipped was in a cardboard tube like they use for carpeting with enough bubble wrap that it wouldn't come out even with nothing on the ends. I cut some cardboard circles for the ends and taped it.

same here.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©