3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Galax, Va  (Read 341 times)

Offline ShrnShndl

• Trad Bowhunter
Galax, Va
« on: July 28, 2013, 09:05:00 AM »
Anyone from the area?  Thinking about retiring there.  Please tell me about it, good and bad.

Thanks,

Jim

Offline Cecil

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Galax, Va
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 09:32:00 AM »
I live close to Galax. small town all around nice place. creeper trail and New river not far. alot of National forest to hunt and good bit of farming still going on. bow shoots every weekend some where around here.

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 09:42:00 AM »
Beautiful area!  Just drove through there on our trip to & from Editso Beach, SC.  I always enjoy traveling through that area...need to stop and see more some day.
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 09:46:00 AM »
Was engaged to a gal from Galax back in College...LOL.

With the exception of that, its a great area.  Good to great deer hunting (going from public to private land...lol)

Great interstate access to I-77 and I-81.  I-64 isn't far up I-81.

I'm about 3 hours from there.  Killed my first deer not far from there in 1985.

Its a good place, very few, if any, hogs if you're interested in hunting them.  But good small game, deer, turkey, and okay bear hunting should be close.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline ShrnShndl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 11:31:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  Sounding better and better.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 12:17:00 PM »
I was looking at that area myself. Seems real nice, but then my first grandson was born so now I'm going to northern Georgia in the not to distant future.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online adkarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »
Hey Ron - hoping you find some hog places to hunt.....  :)  Hope all is well.
New York Bowhunters - Life Member
Carolina Traditional Archers
North Carolina Bowhunters Assoc.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 02:41:00 PM »
Hi Martin......hope all is well with you and your family. I been to a few 3-D's with your Dad, he keeps me posted on you and the kids. When I move down we won't be all that far apart....lol!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 03:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Cecil:
I live close to Galax. small town all around nice place. creeper trail and New river not far. alot of National forest to hunt and good bit of farming still going on. bow shoots every weekend some where around here.
What Cecil said plus really nice people in the area.

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 04:17:00 PM »
I used to live in Low Gap, just down the road.  Galax used to put on a world class fiddlers convention every year.  I know, you're telling yourself I hate Bluegrass but if you move there you'll find out how wrong you are.

Offline mark stella

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »
I just live up the road (north) about an hour if that.
Just inside WV through the tunnel. Galax is a pretty nice place.
Mt. Rogers to the west, New river and Claytor Lake not far, and plenty of deer. I would suggest taking a look a Bland County just north on I77. Pretty rural, lots of national forest, plenty of game, and most of all property and taxes are probably cheaper.
If ya make the move let me know. I can show ya around.

Offline ShrnShndl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 01:12:00 PM »
Mark, thanks very much for the offer.  We will look over several areas before making a final decision.  Will be going down in a couple of months to look things over.  Again, thanks very much.     Jim

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 02:33:00 PM »
Jim,
One word of warning about the area. If you are trying to escape winter we have real winters here due to the elevation. In 2009-10 we had multiple snows of over 20".

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 09:19:00 PM »
I live in Ashe county in NC that borders Grayson county. I have a cousin that live just outside Galax. Plenty of deer, no hogs, bears to the west towards mount Rogers.  Locals tend to shoot anything with antlers, a lot of road hunting during rifle season. If you want some more info, email me.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Cecil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 09:27:00 PM »
Hillsville next to Galax has a huge fleamarket on labor day weekend.

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
I've ridden the Creeper Trail from end to end and back. If you enjoy cycling its a load of fun. I have not hunted in the area so don't know what is available. Galax and Damascus are really neat towns. People seemed nice to me. Jefferson Bear Tree Camp ground was great too. There's plenty to do around there. Appalachain Trail goes through there too. Good Luck with retiring.
Member NCBA

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©