3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cutting carbons with a hack saw?  (Read 376 times)

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
Cutting carbons with a hack saw?
« on: July 28, 2013, 11:54:00 AM »
I have searched the forum and not found anyone using a hacksaw on carbons.  I own a stand-up paddleboard shop.  I cut very high dollar carbon paddle shafts all day long for my customers.  We use masking tape at the cut to avoid splinters and slowly turn the shaft while cutting. I use new blades with many teeth.  It is the industry standard because saws tend to cause splinters.
I am noticing that most on this forum use saws or dremels on their carbon arrow shafts.  Any splintering problems?  I own a dremel and can easily use it.  Just worried because of the issues it causes with carbon paddle shafts.  What is the best wheel to use on a dremel for arrows?  This is my first dive into the carbon arrow world!
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cutting carbons with a hack saw?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 12:12:00 PM »
I see no problem, But I would square them up on a disk sander after cutting.
I cut mine on an air driven cut-off tool, then square em up.
Tom

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 12:49:00 PM »
I just take mine to a local shop where they will cut the arrow for me with a proper hi-speed cut-off wheel (which is often incorrectly referred to as a cut-off saw)...even if they charge me the cost is insignificant compared to the cost of the arrows and the ends are always true and clean

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 01:07:00 PM »
Thanks for getting me thinking...I worked in an archery shop back in the nineties when carbon arrows were not the norm...we bought an Apple cut off saw and it worked very well, although I did get a lecture from a military air frame mechanic one day about carbon dust in my lungs...just checked the Lancaster Archery Supply site and it appears that Apple may not be the correct choice any more...in fact none of the cut-off saws they sell got good reviews...what I would suggest is simply looking for a good old used, made in the USA, Apple saw...for less than the price of a dozen good carbons one could be the master of their own fate...there are places to save money in archery...I am not sure that cutting carbon arrows is one of them

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 01:14:00 PM »
Carbons need to be cut with a high speed saw or you can cut them with a dremel tool.An arrow saw with a stop for repeatable cut length is desired.You could make a jig for using your dremel,can make your cuts more square and same lenghs.I have used a hacksaw but only for cutting wood shafts.

Offline Dick4bows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »
Paddle shafts are not subjected to the high stress of an arrow shaft.  If you continue to use a hack saw, make sure that you install the insert in the end you cut.  It may give you some support if you damage the carbon filaments. Dick

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 01:48:00 PM »
I've used a dremmel,but recently started using a tube cutter and had better results that way.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 02:10:00 PM »
I cut mine with a dremel and cut them 1/4" longer and grind them to length. Only takes a second.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline crafty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 02:20:00 PM »
If you are not looking to spend the money on an Arrow saw i recommend this to many. I have been using one for the last 5-6 yrs with no issues and it makes a nice clean cut. just rotate the a bit to finish. Its cheap and used for many small archery projects.

http://www.harborfreight.com/bench-top-cut-off-saw-42307.html

But the OPs original question. I have also cut a ton of shafts with fine hacksaw blades and tape and it seemed to work out just fine.
~Archer By Heart, Bowhunter By Blood~

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 02:45:00 PM »
When I was very green at the archery addiction I had my local shop cut and fletch my arrows. I then bought the aforementioned Harbor Freight saw. Used that for a short period of time, wasn't too impressed with the results, arrows weren't square enough for me. I have since purchased the Apple arrow saw and I will use nothing else now. Shop around and you will find one at a reasonable price, probably for around a 100 bucks, TRUST ME well worth the money spent, personally I would never use a hacksaw on such a small piece of material that is prone to splintering so easy. One more thing why would you just use a pneumatic cutoff wheel AND then add another process to square them up when you can do it in a second and be cut to length and be square in one step?

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 03:18:00 PM »
Dremel/sanding disk   :thumbsup:
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 03:20:00 PM »
Been using an angle grinder clamped in a vise with a 1/16 cut off disc. I cut slightly long then true it on a sander. Works pretty good.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 04:05:00 PM »
Here's what I rigged up without spending too much time with some scraps I had laying around:

My "Dremel" is actually a Sears Craftsman tool that's similar to a Dremel. It is capable of speeds to 30,000 rpm which is great for carbon arrows.

The cutting wheel I use is fiber reinforced and I get them at Sears. They last much longer than the standard cutting wheel that isn't reinforced. Notice, I don't use "saw" blades.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2013, 04:39:00 PM »
I would think the saw blade would work fine for alluminum shafts but would just splinter the end of a carbon shaft. I agree with those who say get an arrow cut off tool. Once you have one you will realize that it is well worth every penny.
James Kerr

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2013, 04:43:00 PM »
What Butch does- works fine for the few times I cut shafts
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2013, 04:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by motorhead7963:
When I was very green at the archery addiction I had my local shop cut and fletch my arrows. I then bought the aforementioned Harbor Freight saw. Used that for a short period of time, wasn't too impressed with the results, arrows weren't square enough for me. I have since purchased the Apple arrow saw and I will use nothing else now. Shop around and you will find one at a reasonable price, probably for around a 100 bucks, TRUST ME well worth the money spent, personally I would never use a hacksaw on such a small piece of material that is prone to splintering so easy. One more thing why would you just use a pneumatic cutoff wheel AND then add another process to square them up when you can do it in a second and be cut to length and be square in one step?
What I was trying to say, only you said it far better because you have actually done it...guess it is time I did the same...I have about 15 bows at any given time which means a lot of arrows as well

DDave

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2013, 07:03:00 PM »
Isoot4thrills that is a fine piece of work sir!  Ric
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2013, 06:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by atatarpm:
Isoot4thrills that is a fine piece of work sir!  Ric
Thanks. It could be improved upon a lot with better materials and more time but it works great for all arrow shafts as it is.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2013, 01:20:00 PM »
I cut mine with a hacksaw, but am careful and let the saw do the work. Then dress the cut square with a small bastard file.
You need to take care at the bottom and back of the cut to not fray the carbon- thats bad if it goes up the shaft.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline bigiron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2013, 04:05:00 PM »
you can buy a two piece arrow saw for what a dozen cheap carbons cost that will last you for ever.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©