3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Can shooting multiple bows cause problem?  (Read 425 times)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can shooting multiple bows cause problem?
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2013, 07:30:00 PM »
:biglaugh:  Boy I hope not........
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2013, 08:18:00 PM »
I personally think it is a problem.  Each bow has it's own 'personality' and your brain has to adapt to that bow. Arrow speed and site picture come to mind.  If you shoot the two bows lots you will be able to adapt.... but when it is crunch time and the big one is in front of you....and your brain is already mush.. you will be better off if you're shooting a  bow that you have practiced with.. lots....
Joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2013, 08:25:00 PM »
I usually need a brief adjustment period but nothing dramatic. However, as hunting season approaches, I tend to stick with the bow I intend to hunt with.
Sam

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2013, 08:50:00 PM »
I switch between  :thumbsup:   same speed. After a half dz   :archer2:  arrows I'm right in the groove with what ever bow I'm shooting that day.
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2013, 07:22:00 AM »
The problem I've seen with some shooting more than one bow who have poor accuracy has more to do with the arrows they insist on shooting. I tried to explain they may need a get properly tuned arrows for each bow or atleast find out what bows shoot the arrows best and then get arrows for the bows that they cant hit the broad side of a barn with. We are talking a 5-10 pound difference in some with the same spine arrow, shooting both longbows and recurves.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2013, 07:51:00 AM »
Biggest problem is my back...pocket where my wallet is  :)
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2013, 11:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by moebow:
Lion.

I answered your other post too but shooting different bows should not affect your shot.  IF you do the same thing with each type of bow, you might have a very short period of adjustment but overall, IF you do the same thing with each bow, the shot should be the same.  Try NOT to change your form just because the bow/bow grip is slightly different.  

A bow is a bow, your form should remain the same.

Arne
This is absolutely spot on!  :thumbsup:

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2013, 12:27:00 PM »
When Arne speaks we should all listen

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2013, 12:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sam McMichael:
I usually need a brief adjustment period but nothing dramatic. However, as hunting season approaches, I tend to stick with the bow I intend to hunt with.
I have four bows I switch around with all the time. I shoot each of them well because I've had them awhile. After a dozen arrows I'm good to go.

Around Labor Day I decide on which bow I will hunt with in the upcoming deer season. I will shoot no other bow or arrow until the season is over.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2013, 01:50:00 PM »
I shoot 3 different recurves and two longbows regularly, no problem for me, course all the recurves are Schafer Silvertips and the longbows are Cari-Bows the bows range from 62#-54# at my draw, same arrow out of all of them, AD Hammerhead lites and yes all of the bows are tuned to that arrow, but I can shoot AD Trads also.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Pete Patterson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2013, 02:30:00 PM »
Not for me.  But all my bows are Hills/Hill-style.  That's as close to shooting the same bow as you can get and still be shooting different bows.
....and lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the age. Matt 28:20

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2013, 03:09:00 PM »
I believe that shooting multiple bows is fun any maybe necessary for some of us "trad junkies". I also believe if some one wants to be the very best that they can be, they will only shoot one bow. By shooting only one bow your brain will align with your muscle memory for better and more precise aiming.

I agree 100% that using the same proper form is the only way to be consistent with any bow. I have found in my case that the grip design has the most to do with me being consistent among various bows. I do shoot and love to shoot different bows. I do try to keep all of my bows in the same required arrow dynamic spine range, along with the same gpp range.

I think that if you're going to shoot multiple bows, they should be tuned to preform as close to the same as possible.

I have found that the string used on different bows can be a great equalizer. What I mean is I can put a "skinny string" (Rick B)on my 47" Journeyman and it will shoot the exact same arrow as my 50# Journeyman with a 16 strand string.

Side plates and rest used can also be used to make a lighter bow shoot the same as a heavier bow or vise versa.

Brace height can be added or taken away to make minute changes in your arrow flight.

I have been called anal with my tuning but it's what I like to do. I know I'm long winded but I hope this helps to answer your question my friend.

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2013, 03:13:00 PM »
I shoot different bows all the time. It usually takes me a couple shots to remember the little differences that they have. But what is important to me is  that they shoot the same arrow great. rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2013, 03:30:00 PM »
I had two identical longbows.  When shooting them instinctively at close range, I could not tell them apart. However, when I backed up the differences started to show up.  By concentrating on secondary aiming I could tell the differences.  The real problem with mixing bows comes after someone has grooved in one bow so well that they know what it will do without thinking about how they are aiming too much.  When that happens some sort of aiming will have to occur to cope with the differences. Changing back and forth from a high gripped center shot recurve with a low gripped side shot longbow is a more drastic change in both form and sighting.  I love shooting my left hand recurve in the spring and summer, but I have to unload it and it put away by August and get back to only shooting the longbow I will be hunting with.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2013, 03:33:00 PM »
I build bows, lots and lots of them. I shoot at least 5-6 a week, rarely the same batch each week. It doesn't seem to bother me much, or my shooting. I still have my "days" as everybody has.

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2013, 03:42:00 PM »
It caused me some problems! I have been shooting/learning my Hill for about a year now. Yesterday I disided to give my recurves some love.... I was aweful, I mean it was terriable how poor I was shooting.  I couldn't put all 6 arrows on a paper plate at 15 steps.  I'm no crack shot but I'm a lot better then that!  So I went inside and got my Hill and after about a dozen arrows latter I felt normal again.  

Now my bow hand is sore as heck.... gotta be the funky recurve grip  :dunno:
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2013, 08:21:00 PM »
Not for me either. It takes 2-3 days of shooting and I'm in the groove with that bow. Good luck

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2013, 01:56:00 AM »
I only get in trouble when shooting at longer ranges and when the drawweight differs more then 3 to 4 lbs.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2013, 02:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by riverrat 2:
I shoot different bows all the time. It usually takes me a couple shots to remember the little differences that they have. But what is important to me is  that they shoot the same arrow great. rat'
Same here. Might hunt with one in the morning and hunt with another in the after noon. But I shoot four of my bows all the time so I know what they do.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2013, 06:54:00 AM »
I differ in some thoughts on this subject as I also own eleven bows. When I have them all tuned right I have very little trubble going from one bow to another, but I have one bow that I love above the others and have not shot the others sence Storm (my bow) came along. Once and a while I have a fling for about an hour then it's right back to Storm. Stay with the one you love the most. If you have'nt found that one keep looking.
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©