3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Unwritten laws or do's and dont's  (Read 283 times)

Offline el greco

• Trad Bowhunter
Unwritten laws or do's and dont's
« on: July 28, 2013, 09:50:00 PM »
As a new hunter(I grew up in Athens Greece, a big city with no hunting culture what so ever),I am still trying to connect with my first big game.So far I have only killed and tasted squirrels.This days I am hunting public land,hoping to get my first hog.
My question is, are there any unwritten laws in the hunting community that I should be aware of? For example sometimes I see those glaw in the dark things that I guess they mark somebody's favourite spot or something?Could I go there and put a treestand?
Generally I would like to know do's and dont's
From my cold,dead hands..

Offline Richie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Unwritten laws or do's and dont's
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 09:53:00 PM »
Unless there is a stand or a blind there already I dont see a problem with it. They shouldnt be leaving their trash (glowsticks) on the ground anyway.
Once a Marine always a Marine, Semper Fi

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 10:04:00 PM »
If you haven't already, you might consider taking the National bowhunter Education Course.  Most states offer them, and they can be taken on line in some states.  At the least, get your hands on a copy of their instructional manual.  Contains several good chapters on bowhunter ethics, dos and don'ts, etc.  Good luck

Offline Dendy Cromer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 10:06:00 PM »
i agree... but what's worse is trail marking ribbon, or flagging tape. put it up if you must, take it down when you leave- or it becomes litter. El G, public land is public land. if nobody is occupying the spot you want to hunt, it's all you.
Southern Zone Rep./Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia

Prov: 3, 5-6

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 10:08:00 PM »
Chris,

Most of the time those markers and others like them (survey tape, tacks, even blazed trees) are marking a trail in or out from a spot and if it is on public land it is fair game.  However in saying that their is or should be a hunters ethic not to encroach on another mans location that he has spent time in scouting etc...If it appears old then by all means use the area but if it fresh then I would recommend find another area within the same spot your seeing signs.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline el greco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 10:36:00 PM »
Thanks to all that replied
From my cold,dead hands..

Offline Stephengiles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 11:28:00 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it too much I live in Alabama and the glow stick you see today will probably be there until the string rots. If you see another person give them space that's really all that is required. If you don't live here you may not understand,but some people treat our woods like a dump.I've seen so much marking tape that when deer season starts to wind down I start taking evey piece I see out with me and then I usually get a shopping bag full of trash around my vehicle before I leave.your not even supposed to make natural blinds on public land here or even cut twigs to get a clean shot .much less leave your plastic !#%? behind.sorry for the rant but that gets under my skin ,you call me what you want. if you can't find your spot without help your not scouting enough.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 12:13:00 AM »
el greco Alabama is a top hunting and archery state. Join an archery club and hook up with other hunters who can show you the local customs. Generally folks are very willing to help. And it should not matter if they shoot wheelie bows as long as they are good hunters.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 12:29:00 AM »
Where I hunt people leave the tacks that shine when a light hits them. I do myself. If you don`t know they are there you will not see them in the daytime.
 Personally I never hunt a spot a person has marked. Out of common courtesy and I like to find my own spots. The public land down here in Ga is different that a lot of the counry meaning there is a lot of it and you can hunt several days without seeing many trucks on the road and no one in the woods.I never go down a walk road someone else is parked on unless I know where they are at and I`m not gonna mess them up. some of our walk roads ar 4-5 mil;es long.I do tear down and remove all the ribbons I find hanging in the swamp. If I trail a deer or need to mark a spot I will use tiny pieces of paper towel or toilet paper.after a rain its gone. RC

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 12:36:00 AM »
Never, ever struggle with too much draw weight because of ego or peer pressure, if you plan on drawing and shooting with the perfection that the ethics of quickly taking the life of another animal requires.
Perfection is perfection. Struggling with too much draw weight is not perfection.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 05:45:00 AM »
I've hunted management areas in fl. that had so many glow tacks it looked like Xmas decorations when you would turn a flashlight on. Some places it's useless to use them there's so many heading in all directions you have no idea which way to go.

Some people use so much ribbon it's about 10 steps appart..looks like a construction site and some are so bad I know they got to have a piece of ribbon tied on their truck door handle.

The public land I been hunting last 6yrs or so doesn't have any ribbon or glow tacks.

Offline Stephengiles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 08:14:00 AM »
I don't hunt within sight of such things but I have used them to pattern other hunters.especially after gun season starts.just keep walking till you don't see anymore markers.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 10:16:00 AM »
just do unto others as you would have them do unto you! but remember, it's public land, all you can really do is set the example and hope for the best and figure out how to make others peoples actions advantageous to you. I got my deer this year after another hunter pushed her past my stand. I had figured  out where the deer liked to travel when bumped and set my stand to take advantage of that and it worked for a change.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Stephengiles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 11:16:00 AM »
Old goat 2 nailed it.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 01:14:00 PM »
Leave no trace. No matter where you hunt.

The resource is limited, the numbers of people using them is increasing. At least try not to impact an area in ways that don't take the next hunter into consideration.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 08:59:00 PM »
I think the " do unto others" axiom says a lot.  If we all just think a bit before we react, we will all be better folks and our blood pressure will be lower.  Most of the "rules" are just common sense.
ChuckC

Offline darin putman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 09:48:00 PM »
After gun season opens here in Alabama there is  public bow only land. Use it!!!!
Osage selfbow and Surewood shafts

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2013, 09:51:00 PM »
Asking a question like this sure says a lot about your carachter. take a look at the tacks and maybe they show some age as though the guy may be long gone. most people don't remove the tacks or don't even think of it when going to another spot. just a thought, all good advice here.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©