3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need help wih this one  (Read 322 times)

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Need help wih this one
« on: September 03, 2007, 06:56:00 AM »
Hi guys,  I decided to shoot the easton legacys. I have a black widow td recurve 55lbs @ 28 inches. I will try to start with a 29 inch arrow. Black widow told me to shoot 10-12 grains per lb. What shaft size do I start with to try to get it tuned? watched the vidoe on tuning it and is a little confusing as far as to weak, to stiff spine. How do you know if your shooting knock left, right, to high, to low ?? Im not the best shot so if I don't hit where I am aiming at how do I know if its me or the bow?   :knothead:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need help wih this one
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 07:17:00 AM »
I would tend toward a 2018 shaft, 125 grain head, maybe 145 with the 2018. It is very hard to tell whether it is the bow or you when you are just starting out. But if the spine of the shaft is close to what your bow wants, then just practice until all of your arrows are doing the same thing in flight. Have someone watch you or video yourself so that errors such as plucking the string or inconsistant anchor can be eliminated.

Chances are, you will be on the mark, then.
Killdeer  :campfire:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 07:37:00 AM »
what is the length & weight at your full draw? if it is 55#@28" & you would like your arrows to be cut 29"BOP... I will have to agree with killdeer. 2018's should be the ones...

Online Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 08:39:00 AM »
In my opinion the bareshaft method is a good one, but only if you can maintain good form and know that you are not causing the arrow flight problems.  
  The good news is, there are other methods.  Here is a link that may help you.  

http://bowmaker.net/index2.htm

Offline Jim Boettcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 09:33:00 AM »
Frassettor, I used to shoot a 55#@28 BW. My arrows were 30" 2216. I know they are spined around 80-85#'s. It sounds way too stiff, but they flew perfect. If you can get a BW owners manual, it explains what they call the Widow factor when it comes to arrow spine. There is also a BW spine chart in the back of the manual. Trust me it works. Jim

Offline Anvil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 09:45:00 AM »
I shoot 2020 Legacy's with a 35 grain broadhead adapter and 125grn point off my Silver Fox with is 55# @28". I live about an hour north of you. If you would be headed to Green Bay any time, I can give you one to try. I also have 2018's and 2016's, I can let you try one of each. I love the Lecacy shafts.
Curt
Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him.      Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them.
Psalm 127:3-4

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 02:41:00 PM »
2018 or 2020 both will work i would try the 2020 with some weight up front 145 to 175. I shoot a PSA V it seems to like a heavy arrow with most of the weight up front. I shoot 53# @ 30" with a 31" 2117 with 200 grains up front. And dont hold your self to a 29" arrow cut it down untill if flys good, you could end up with 29.5 or 30" you never know.

In fact i have 3 2020's left over i have no use for if you would like them there are 30 1/4", just drop me a pm with your address and i will send them to you.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 05:20:00 PM »
Thanks for all your help!!   :archer:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©