3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How short of a LB @ 28" draw?  (Read 192 times)

Offline Gregg S

• Trad Bowhunter
How short of a LB @ 28" draw?
« on: July 30, 2013, 08:31:00 PM »
I recently bought my first D style longbow. It has a very very slightly dished grip. I really like it. I've always shot recurves but I like this grip that much that I don't think that I'll be shooting recurves in the future. My longbow is 68" and shoots great at my 28" draw. I'm concerned that I may have trouble shooting that bow from a treestand. Since I want to stick with a longbow with a straight grip I was wondering how short you can go and still have good shooting characteristics? I've seen some straight longbows listed that were as short as 60" but would that work at my 28" draw?

Offline skunkhound

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How short of a LB @ 28" draw?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
You could get a high R/D bow with a forward handle maybe as short as 58", but if you want to stay with a Hill style, I would guess 64".

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »
Think about it!  Going from a 68" bow to a 64" bow is only 2" off each end.  Will 2" really make that much difference for clearance??  As said, going to a more R/D bow can get you a shorter bow for a given draw length but again, if 2 or even 3" makes that much difference in clearance in a blind/tree stand/etc.  you probably need to re-think your setup anyway.  Guess what I'm trying to say is that if one end of your bow is 2" shorter, that is not much room to maneuver anyway.  You only have 2" of clearance.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »
I shoot a 68 incher out of a stand, no problem. Just practice a bit maneuvering it in the tree.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 11:38:00 PM »
I don't shoot them, but the people I've been around who do won't even consider a bow shorter than 66" with a true 28" draw.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline LEWIS VADEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 08:50:00 AM »
The Great Northern little creep is 58" long and is good for 29" draw according to their website.  It has the grip you are looking for,

Offline Gregg S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 08:55:00 AM »
Thanks for the comments. I guess the first thing I should do is get the stand out and give it a try before anything else.

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 09:03:00 AM »
Shrew CH here, 56" bow draws easily to my 29" draw. I would not hunt with anything longer now. Its easier for me shoot out of blinds/stands, in all kinds of weird positions. Sold all my bows over 60"es
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline Whitetails2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 09:29:00 AM »
Mike Treadway makes a 54" longbow that doesn't stack at 28"...

Offline hunthold

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 10:17:00 AM »
If you want to shoot a hill style with a straight grip and want a shorter bow, you need to order you a forward handle. I ordered a 60" forward handle howard hill bobcat as an experiment because I like short bows . My northern mist whisper is 64" and another forward handle hill at 64" both felt like they had more room on the draw and I draw a tad over 28". Well that little 60" bobcat is my favorite in that style and draws plenty smooth to me back to my draw. Works perfect..
The great northern lil creep is another good one with a straight grip and is a 58" bow mild r/d. Killer speed for the design and
smooth to 29".
If you just want the shortest longbow period and draws smooth to 28", call up rodney wright and order you a 50" wolverine.killer in a tree stand!

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 03:34:00 PM »
I am going to build a customer a 58 inch Frontier 66 so I will give an update when I get her done as to how it works out. It is a riser forward bow and slight string follow. The only thing I am really worried about is string angle on this style of bow. God bless, Steve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©