3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help a female newbie with arrows! :)  (Read 477 times)

Offline Stephengiles

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help a female newbie with arrows! :)
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2013, 11:28:00 PM »
Hi. I would recommend you check out 3rivers arrow spine calculator.I agree with the other posts that you shouldn't worry too much about arrows until your form is down but it will get you close. after your bow arrives check your draw length and if possible your bows true draw weight. Carbons are probably your best choice because of their availability. I can't even buy aluminums or wood where I live ,but I order aluminums because I can easily modify them at home.don't sweat it good luck and have fun!

Offline Richie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2013, 12:28:00 AM »
Welcome   :campfire:
Once a Marine always a Marine, Semper Fi

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2013, 04:29:00 AM »
Welcome from MI.    :campfire:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2013, 06:15:00 AM »
Welcome from KY!

Nice buck in your profile pic!   :thumbsup:

Here's a link to help with your tuning:

http://www.acsbows.com/bareshaftplaning.html

I recommend you going to that trad shop in Des Moines as was mentioned. They should be able to help you with your selection.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2013, 06:37:00 AM »
Laura,

Welcome to the gang.  You will definetly get good advice here.

At your draw length and poundage, I would recommed going to a .700 or .800 carbon shaft.  The .600 in my opinion will be overspined for your setup.

I would give Big Jim a call and see what he recommends and can supply you with.

Good luck and don't get discouraged.

Hey TGangers is there anyone out there that might be able to send her a couple to experiment with?

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2013, 07:53:00 AM »
Welcome from Kentucky!

Get a test kit of arrows from archery store or 3rivers.com and start with a 600 spine shaft. Decide on a point weight from 125-150 grains and hot melt glue in your insert (so you can heat and remove it). Begin with the shaft at full length. Then shoot it 6 times or so and see how it flies. Heat and remove the insert and cut a 1/2" or an inch off the shaft, glue in the insert and shoot 6 more. Continue cutting and glueing. Every time you cut it shorter the shaft will get stiffer. You will find the proper spine eventually where the arrow flies the best. Hope this helps.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2013, 08:11:00 AM »
what swampdrummer said.  these should be plenty close enough to start with, and probably the best value if money is an issue.

I know you said no aluminum, but don't nock it till you've tried it.  what would break a carbon might only bend an aluminum, and you can straighten them back out enough to shoot some more.  if you have fletching equipment/know how, the bare shafts are only 2.75 each.  Lancaster Archery is great because you can buy shafts, or most anything, by the "each".

do a google search for "dynamic spine calculator" that will get you real close.

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2013, 09:52:00 AM »
laura,

Not sure if you caught my offer before or not - i have single arrows that i could send you to get you started. PM me your address and i will get them in the mail tomorrow.  

I have two daughters that wanted to shoot trad bows .... so that means i have gone thru this twice.  I know i have 1535, 3555 and axis 600's in my shed (might be others i cant even remember) I can "steal" a couple and the kids will never miss them.  Based on my experiences the 1535 worked great for my daughter that got in your weight/draw range, the axis needed a little more weight up front (and are more expensive) but worked as well.

Let me know
Mike
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »
Laura, Draw length is measured the same way with all bows, 1.75" plus the distance from the string to inest of the grip where hold the bow.

It's the same for compound and recurve.

I think if you are shooting with proper form, your draw length won't change from compound to recruve/longbow. I believe alot of people have this problem of losing draw length becasue they are either overdrawing their compounds to the back of their heads, or they're not coming to full draw with the longbow. It's easy to let your form collapse with a traditional bow, but if you have good form you should keep all your draw length.

Regarding the arrows. I shoot mostly 3555 shafts, from bows around 40-45# @ 25" and at full length I usually need around 175-225grains at the front of the arrow to tune well.

I think that with a 32# draw weifght, you will be best served by some 1535 (or any other .600 spine shaft you like) at or near full length. From there you can use tip weight to get the proper flight. My guess is at full length wqith 100gr point they will be too stiff and at full length with a 250gr point they will be weak ... but somewhere in there is a good tune.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2013, 10:42:00 AM »
"I only plan on shooting targets until I am good enough to hunt" is the most important thing you posted...we often get newbies on the websites who are just getting started and already asking what weight and type of broadhead they ought to be using...I find that very disturbing since it at least implies that they are thinking about going hunting right away...the learning curve is different for different people...I think everyone should spend at least a year of serious work before even thinking about hunting with a stickbow...good for you for taking that approach...as for what arrows to shoot out of that bow they should be long and round with a pointy thing on one end and a groovy thing and some feathers on the other end...coming from the compound world you think you need to buy arrows by the dozen...you do not...buy, beg, borrow or steal about 3 to start with and then work on your conditioning and form with a big target so as not to lose or damage those three arrows...just get started and the rest will fall into place and when you do go to buy that first dozen arrows you will know what you want...the compound world taught us to look for quick results...the traditional world teaches us to slow down and enjoy the journey

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2013, 10:46:00 AM »
Good idea, Laura, with asking the older guy to help you out...we old guys are pretty willing to help young guys out...we are pretty much twice as willing to help young ladies out since you tend to be prettier and actually listen to what we tell you

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2013, 11:18:00 AM »
Hi Laura and welcome to Trad Gang.

I think katie had the best advice. You can do a lot of guessing and even some pretty educated guessing, but nothing beats being able to walk into a trad bow shop and say "OK, fix me up with an arrow that will work" and then try it right there. I'm very fortunate to live within about 10 miles of one of the few trad shops left in southern Michigan. I just got a light (33# @ 28") longbow, which I draw to 29". I like carbon arrows, but they are expensive. I had nothing weak enough for my bow (3555's and even 1535's full length were too stiff). I took my bow to the shop, the owner said "Lets try some 1716s and Bingo! I stacked three of them at 20 yards, which is WAY better than I usually shoot. I have not bare-shafted them and probably wont. With 100gr points, they fly just fine and that may be on the stiff side as they also fly well with 125gr points.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2013, 11:42:00 AM »
Got your PM and I will send the arrows tomorrow.

Always glad to help get someone else started in this great sport!!

All i want in return is an invite to hunt Iowa    :pray:    :pray:    :pray:    

mike
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline tex-archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2013, 11:47:00 AM »
Welcome from Texas!! My advice is find someone who can show you some tips hands on and don't give up on it. Traditional archery is a great sport whether you hunt or just shoot targets. I love watching arrows fly!!
Aim small, miss small!!

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2013, 11:56:00 AM »
Contact these guys They will get you started off with what you need for a great price and great service. There is a lot of good information here but dont get wrapped up in dynamic spine and so on and so forth. Just get close shoot a couple thousand arrows and then fine tune the arrows to your perfect form and your bow.

https://www.rmsgear.com/store/pc/index_new.asp
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline hntngrl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2013, 12:31:00 PM »
Thanks so much to everyone for the outpouring of advice and the offering of sending me arrows to try! This is a great community.

Katie, I will check out that shop the next time I can make it to DesMoines. I'm in graduate school right now to become a chiropractor and its a very busy time for me right now with my national board exams coming up the first week in September.

pamike - Thank you so much for the arrows! I will put them to good use. As for hunting in Iowa, while I'm in school I have one spot to hunt that has plenty of does and little bucks, but the shotgun hunters hit it pretty hard so I haven't seen any big bucks yet. In two and a half years I will be finished with school and we will be looking for some good land to purchase. Start putting in for your preference points and maybe I will have some good land for you to hunt  by the time you get drawn  :)

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2013, 12:40:00 PM »
Sound like enough advice has been given. So, I will say, good luck, good journey, stay safe and shoot straight!

Welcome from the Pacific North West.   :campfire:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2013, 03:33:00 PM »
i really do have to start getting some points in Iowa so that I can get out there one of these days!!
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Makua Girl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2013, 07:59:00 PM »
Hi Laura!

I know you already received a TON of good advice.  Here's my set-up just to give you an idea, since we have the same draw length.

I am currently shooting a 36lb. Stalker Stickbow static tip recurve.  I shoot Axis traditional shafts, 600 spine at 28" in length.  My total arrow weight is 470 grains with a 200 grain tip.

Good luck and have fun! I used to shoot a compound as well and have found that traditional shooting is WAY more fun!!

Aloha,
Staci

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2013, 10:50:00 PM »
Welcome to the gang!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©