3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: carbon spine question  (Read 510 times)

Offline bunnyquiver

• Trad Bowhunter
carbon spine question
« on: September 03, 2007, 10:33:00 AM »
Please help. I have a new RER bow and my old arrows are too weak spined. (Even at 3 pounds lighter -- this RER bow is FAST!!) I've been using carbon express thunderstorm 30-50 shafts and am looking at the CX 150 shafts. I used the 30-50's because they're available for 3 dollars each at walmart. I have to scrape off the vanes of course, and refletch, but I enjoy that anyway.

I don't have a spine tester, has anyone ever spine tested these 2 shafts?

Another option I've considered is cutting my existing shafts shorter. They are 28 inches long and I could spare 2 inches or more with my 25 inch draw length. The problem with that plan is I won't have any arrows to shoot off my old bows. Plus there are several children around here that I've turned on to archery and they use my arrows with their bows. I'm pretty sure cutting 2 inches off of them would work for me but that leaves everyone else out of the picture.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: carbon spine question
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 10:41:00 AM »
Bunnyquiver, You don't say what poundage the new bow is nor how do you "know" they are too weak?? 90% of peoples tuning problem are arrows that are too stiff and arrows too stiff can "look" like they are too weak. If you can make them act stiff with lighter points then you want to use, then cut them a little at a time but until you can make them act stiff with point weight, don't cut them or buy new arrows.....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 10:43:00 AM »
Put a  thin leather shim behind the side plate material.
 Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline bunnyquiver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 10:54:00 AM »
Thanks for the quick response O.L. My boyfriend has been hunting longbows for years. The first arrow off my new bow he was standing behind me watching and immediately said, "Just as I suspected, these are underspined. I knew this bow was going to be faster".

He also said lighter points would probably solve it but I'm only using 100 grain points now and we don't have any lighter ones to prove it out. He says 100 grains is light enough, you want to load up the front when ever possible. I'm pretty confident he knows what he's talking about. He's helped a lot of people set up their equipment and we keep quite a number of arrows on hand cut at various lengths for that very purpose. Mostly though, those are shafts for heavier bows that men use. We really don't mind having more shafts on hand, some new archer will come along and be able to use them eventually. Or one of the kids will grow into them.

This bow is 41 @ 28 and I draw it 24 to 25 inches shooting 3 under.

Offline bunnyquiver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 10:59:00 AM »
Now I'm laughing at him. I told him what Pete said and he said "Well, duh, why didn't I think of that."

We'll give it a try. Any other tips or ideas are still appreciated, obviously he's not thinking too clearly right now  :)

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 11:16:00 AM »
LOL, So you wanted a "second opinion!" Your draw and your draw weight increases the odds even more that you are over spined and the back of the arrow is hitting the shelf/window making it look "weak". You can tune that bow with anything in the 30-35# spine range. Pete's suggestion will work but if you try that and things don't change or gets worse, go up in point weight and you might have to go WAY up. Make sure your nocks aren't too tight also. Comfirming with point weight??? You can shoot them with no points at all if you have to to force it. Until you can make them go the other way, cutting/buying new arrows is risky....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline bunnyquiver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 12:21:00 PM »
Yep, second opinions VERY welcome  :)

I have 2 shafts with no fletchings. And I found a couple 85 grain tips. Here's what we found out. Right handed shooter by the way.

85 grain tips fly way to the left of where I'm looking and nocks are pointing way to the right.

100 grain tips are the same only not quite so bad.

125 grain tips hit pretty much where I'm looking but still nock right.

145 grain tips fly way to the right and nocks point way to the right.

Now he says O.L. is right and his original observation the other day was wrong.

Suggestions? My guess is stay with these arrows and just buy a pack of 125 grain broadheads. Is that right?

Thanks again.

Offline bunnyquiver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 12:23:00 PM »
By the way, through all of this I don't hear the arrow hitting the bow. It's nice and quiet.

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 12:34:00 PM »
bunny quiver..im doing exactly the same thing with the thunderstorms that you are..they are spined extremely close to the heritage 150 line..im shooting mine 29" full length with 125 up front and they are still flying quite stiff out of a 40# treadway longbow and a 46# kanati cut to center..im guessing if you are cutting these down at all you will never get them to fly good unless you really load up on point weight..im going to try with 175 up front and then 200... these carbons get extremly stiff when cutting them down...the 40# and 46# is what im pulling at my draw weight... hope this  helps..im would like to find some brass inserts that fit these shafts but am not sure if they make them... the thunderstorm is a slightly thinner shaft than the other ce shafts..
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©