3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: River cane self nock?  (Read 713 times)

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: River cane self nock?
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2007, 08:40:00 PM »
Yea basically it's an extended plug.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2007, 10:25:00 PM »
Well I got the nocks done and sinewed.  Put fletching that I ground down this evening on two and will finish the fletching up tomorrow and wrap the ends. And I am going to plug the point ends tomorrow also, cut a couple of point tapers and see what happens.  I have my heads knapped for hunting and will mount them next.  Wish me luck in this venture.  Will post some pics when done
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline 1gutpile

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2007, 12:37:00 PM »
LOL..Ferret you all right in guts book...nothing wrong with pluggin cane if thats your bag....I'll continue to foreshaft mine..but let me ask you..have you ever foreshafted any cane...if not you ought to try it  you will be surprised at the range of spine tolerable it helps make the cane( even though it is pretty tolerable to start with) and the flight is even better with the FOC..no plastic nocks here, no fletch tape,no field point or store bought broadheads...hide glue and sinew ...gut
to take from nature the materials needed to take from nature the meat needed....

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2007, 01:15:00 PM »
Yea you're alright in my book too gut, and I can appreciate where you're coming from.

Yes, I have foreshafted cane before

and have several foreshafted canes by others. I just don't care for all the work that goes into making a foreshaft fit the way "I" think it should fit (think piston and sleeve). Maybe if I had a lathe and could turn down the foreshaft, but just sanding and carving to make it fit right?, Naw, I'll take drill and plug.Fits first time everytime, nice smooth fit all the way around, nothing out of alignment, and the glue bond makes the end of the shaft stronger than the shaft itself. For the less than 15 yards I shoot (usually way less) I've never had a flight problem.    :bigsmyl:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2007, 07:26:00 PM »
Well I got the fletching done.  Both ends wrapped in seniew and drying.  Now the wait and then the points.  Hopefully this weekend I will get to try my new cane arrows out......wwwoooooohhhhoooooooo
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline 1gutpile

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2007, 10:30:00 AM »
you are right about the time..that is the worst part about making a cane shafts to me and tying on the feathers but it ain't that bad...tell what ole gut does...I get out my PRIMITIVE belt sander..LOL...man it makes the job go by so smooth.now I have a few that I made with oak saplings, went by pretty smooth too, just shaved them down with a obsidian flake in no time...still like the sander on my paduka and purpleheart though.....plus that way I don't have a big spot to fill in with sinew like in your pic..maybe you just don't have the foreshaft slid all the way in...Stringstretcher a little advise..I don't apply my feathers till after the point is in...so I can get a better feel for the configuration of the 3 feathers...but I guess you can do it either way..sure would like to see a pic when you gut-r-done..LOL..good luck to ya Mickey..I hope you got your mind right..you kinda scared me with thinking about a fiberglass bow and all..I hope your health has been taken care of bro...gut.
to take from nature the materials needed to take from nature the meat needed....

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2007, 04:11:00 PM »
gut, yea it's not slid in, it butts up flush to the cane shaft. Just showing what a foreshaft is and how it goes in.

Belt sander huh..and here I thought you just chewed em down like a beaver, all natural like ha ha. You at least chew your sinew right?

Went to 2 docs yesterday. All I can say is they are working on me pretty hard LOL. For what I've spent on co-pays and meds, and from money lost from missing work, I could have bought a new glass bow.ha ha

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©