3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: unknown bow need help?  (Read 255 times)

Offline Smith.7647.J

• Trad Bowhunter
unknown bow need help?
« on: July 31, 2013, 10:22:00 PM »
Hello everyone!
have always had the interest to build my own bow but have not had time when raising two boys and a full time job. my current compound bow has broken and i was wondering if i could use this old fiberglass one a picked up in a michigan garage sale. it is 60" long i think recurve not sure and need experts to tell me a few things about this bow. Need a replacement bow asap for up coming archery deer season. my boys love deer and keeps us happy all winter long. can rifle hunt but get better land owners permission with a bow. this bow has no markings on it nor a string. was gonna post pics of it but not seeing a place to add them. maybe i am in the wrong place? any help would be awesome???? Thank you.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: unknown bow need help?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 10:45:00 PM »
Welcome! You came to the right place. I sent you a private message. Hope that helps.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Smith.7647.J

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 10:27:00 AM »
I would bet some of the string makers will be along to help you get a fitting string. Meantime, I'd take it to any bow shop - even those who carry only compounds will probably have a bow scale. Once you know the draw weight, that will help you pick some fitting arrows.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 10:44:00 AM »
The first thing i see is that there are not any tip overlays. i would not recommend using fast flight string on that bow. I would NOT recomend taking that bow to a so called "Pro Shop" at an archery shop... there are very few out there that have any pro's, and VERY few that know anything about traditional bow construction.....

That is a pretty aggressive R/D long bow. i would see if you can find a local Trad bowyer, or a Trad archer to look at it, or ship it to one, before putting a string on it.... I would be glad to do so myself if you cover shipping cost.   Kirk

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 10:56:00 AM »
Ben Pearson had an economy line of bows that looked like that.Back then,they called them "semi-recurves" though the string didn't even touch the limb.That would put it in the early 1960's or earlier,manufacture date.You definitely want a dacron string.

You will also need to know the actual pull weight before you can begin to select arrows for it.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 03:25:00 PM »
My first impression is Old Pearson too.
What Kirk said also .
Measure the bow from string notch to string notch and get a Dacron string that is 3 inches shorter than that.  If you want to shoot fast flight string you will have to have a pro add phenolic and recut the string grooves.

God bless, Steve

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 03:39:00 PM »
YES!!  A early to mid 60's Pearson.  I have one but painted it camo about then too and haven't seen since then nor do I remember the model name ( it was horse related a "Pony" maybe??).  Anyway as said above it was termed a "semi - recurve" and is a pretty darn good shooter.  B-50 will be your string material.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline CatSplat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 05:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by moebow:
YES!!  A early to mid 60's Pearson.  I have one but painted it camo about then too and haven't seen since then nor do I remember the model name ( it was horse related a "Pony" maybe??).  Anyway as said above it was termed a "semi - recurve" and is a pretty darn good shooter.  B-50 will be your string material.

Arne
That jogged my memory, I remember seeing something very similar posted here, it was listed as "Pearson 960 Colt" I think.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 06:35:00 PM »
You could very well be right Cat!  I camo painted it in High school for hunting.  Been thinking about taking the paint off for a few years, just haven't done it and the name is covered.  I was SOOOO smart in HS   :D    :knothead:  

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline Smith.7647.J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 08:08:00 PM »
Thank you all for the reply have been wondering where is bow was made. after googling pearson colt 960 it resembles his other bows. Moebow do you remember the poundage on this bow? Also how would i find and trad members in nebraska to contact? heck any of neighbors could be but doubt it.

Jeremy

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »
Smith,

Mine is 42 @28 but I think they were offered in several weights.  Lots of Trad In Nebraska, depending on where you are.  Just need to look around some I think.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline heartlandbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 09:41:00 PM »
Smith where in Nebraska are you. i could give it a look see.

Cory

Offline heartlandbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »
Make you a B-50 sting or throw some overlays on it.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2013, 10:04:00 PM »
My first thought was a pearson bow.  Look at the fade outs, usually thats where old bows fail.  If in good shape and a  decent weight,  Kill deer with It   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    

Welcome to the Gang
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Smith.7647.J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2013, 10:20:00 PM »
heartlandbowyer rural Grand Island area. really hoping this bow works out either way was gonna try my hand at making a pyramid bow out of maple.
where abouts you located heartland?

Jeremy

Offline heartlandbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2013, 10:30:00 PM »
In Exeter south of York grew up in Hampton. Im in GI quite a bit for work I can make you a string no problem and look over the bow too.

On a different note the Nebraska Traditional Archers Rendezvous is the Saturday and Sunday of Labor Day weekend, good time and good opportunity to maybe meet a couple trad archers closer to you. We have a website, check it out.

Cory

Offline Smith.7647.J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2013, 10:46:00 PM »
I knew your name sounded familiar Hampton we are Basketball rivals.

Thanks everyone for being so helpful. Hope this works out great.

Jeremy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©