3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: heavy longbow archers questions  (Read 309 times)

Offline ironmike

• Trad Bowhunter
heavy longbow archers questions
« on: August 01, 2013, 12:54:00 PM »
i just acquired a 90# hill style longbow, till now,been using 63-75# longbows,any advice on working up in weight?routines?how often? right njow i'm going slow, makes my 63# bows feel like butter,so maybe,it'll just become a tool for easier shooting on my usual's,any experience out there?please share.    :archer2:

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
Re: heavy longbow archers questions
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 01:12:00 PM »
Basic program Howard Hill showed John Schulz and brother Dan, involved repetition:  drawing your bow back 12" hold, then to 18" hold and to full draw, Hold. When letting down, reverse the process holding as before. Repeat several times, both RH and LH. Freguency, repeat several times a week, or every other day depending on what your capable of doing. Gradually, working up in weight. Because this is strenuous, go slow at first, and don't try to unstring the bow when your tired.

The brothers worked up to 150-180 lbs using this method.    :banghead:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 01:53:00 PM »
Dead nuts center shot Hud! This is it Mike.

Like to point out, you'll stress big before you're done. Suggest you may even start with a very comfortable lighter bow. Exercising the offhand side is a huge boost. Good luck.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 03:29:00 PM »
Great advice above. Also, if you have a weightlifting routine/workout regime keep at it. If not start if possible. One arm dumbbell rows, t bar rows, barbell rows, and low rows all help.

Also there is a thread on here if you do a search with a bunch more little pointers.

Have fun!

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »
All GREAT advice. I will throw one exercise into the mix. This can be alternated with the exercise Hud mentions and builds strength by using negative resistance.

Once you can perform Hud's exercise 3 reps or more with both left and right hand comfortably. Take the bow and just like you are about to shoot come to full draw in a smooth and rapid fashion. (DO NOT YANK the bow to full draw)Now once at full draw begin lowering the bow to brace in a slow motion while counting. Try to count to 15 as you are lowering, 20 is even better. Do this using both arms as well. As you get stronger just increase the amount of time you take to lower the bow.

Also, with any of these exercises it is important that you practice proper form and fully engage your back muscles. Expand your chest and squeeze your back muscles together at full draw, or when at the top of the rep when using free weights. Good luck!!

Offline ironmike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 04:49:00 PM »
thanks boys! i'll start with those guidelines.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »
Some stretching and flexing before hand is a good idea as well.

I shoot bows (both types) in the low to mid seventies range, and the draw weight is very comfortable...but I always do some mild stretching before shooting....even while in a long sit in a treestand.

To bad shooting a bow didn`t work your abs...I would have a six pack for sure.

Offline Fanto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 07:32:00 AM »
Be very careful you can really damage your shoulders, ac joints in particular

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 06:08:00 PM »
I would add, breathing is important, and but you want to exhale before drawing. This helps remove tension in the arms, chest and back. Try it, should make it easier to draw. It will pay off when shooting, because you will be more relaxed, steadier and your accuracy will improve faster.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 06:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by awbowman:
Not trying to be argumentative
Yeah, OK.....

Best advice I can add (Hud pretty much nailed it) is to WARM UP!!!

Make sure you're 100% warmed up before trying anything.
My first longbow, after shooting target recurve for a few years, jumped me from 38# to 79#.
It took me 2 months of drawing & letting down, 8 or 9 times a day, pretty much every day to get back to full draw comfortably & repeatably. Then I had to learn to shoot it properly......
Still working on that!  :D
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline ironmike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 08:02:00 PM »
all good advice,i'm getting another bow thursday,79#@28,that should bridge the gap..i want to get there at 90# smooth like..know what i mean?

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 10:14:00 PM »
when I was shooting the heavy bows, I always did opposing exercises like butterflies to help keep the shoulders centered. then when I went hunting I always pulled a lighter bow a few times to warm up. Once I was warmed up I tried to stay warmed up when I was hunting. When the temps dropped to below freezing so did my poundage.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 10:20:00 PM »
All good advice.  Warm up, practice with lighter 'bridge' bows and do negatives/ slow letdown.  Lay your body into it.  Get down with the push-pull.  Heavy bows engage it all.  Best thing to follow is, just keep at it.  Takes a few months.  I did it that way and one day I realized shooting 90# was fun and could go at it all afternoon.  Enjoy.  I have since dropped down to 65 or less lately, but I've got my eye out for another heavy hitter.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 08:18:00 AM »
I've had some emails based on some comments I made asking 'how to' move up properly.

1st let me say I'm no physical trainer with no 'certification'....but I do know what worked for me so I'll pass it along......

OK, before you start you need to make sure you are drawing your current bow correctly ....i.e., proper alignment and bone on bone structure.

Make sure you are 'closing the door behind you' with a rotational draw which will help immensely getting your alignment correct AND you will be able to pull more weight easier.

Here's a link explaining....in case some of you never go to the shooters form forum....

Link to Alignment Thread

Also, get a 'hook' on the string....this will help you pull more weight easier as well than shooting off the pads of your fingers(finger tips). Imagine trying to start an old rope pulled lawn mower with the handle on the tiips of your fingers rather than having your fingers wrapped around it.

What worked for me was going up 10#s and 'working out' with it....both right an left handed.

I drew the bow to anchor 3 sets of 8 reps every other day....once I got to do that comfortable....I did the same thing but would hold at full draw for 3 seconds.....then once I could do that comfortably I'd hold to 6 seconds.

Then I would move to 4 sets of 10 the same regiment. Only once I could do that did I start shooting the bow at targets.

Remember, that's both right an left handed.

If you are going to do it correctly, it takes time and effort and sticking to what ever program you chose. Once you get through with your regiment and you start shooting targets, you will be amazed at how effortlessly it will be.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 09:47:00 AM »
Here is what I do to increase bow weight and just to exercise to be bow strong at my weight. I have to take my own advise again, because I had eye surgery in March and a lot of construction projects taking an ordinate amounts of my time. If you lay off you loose it. Stamina can be gained and maintained, but not stored.

I have two posts on this page, I think they may help.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=119566;p=12
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 09:48:00 PM »
using howard hills method as I read in strait shooting pulling a 68 lb bow for the exercise over a period of 3 months I was able to use my 60 lb hhill bow for 3d at the 06 safari pulling it easily so it is a good method that has worked for me.
Arrow_Flynn

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2013, 12:28:00 PM »
It's like working up to any other physical activity...you take it slow and remember to warm up and stretch and apply yourself...after a while you'll find shooting a heavier bow is no different than the one you're shooting now. Then you'll wonder what all the fuss is about.

Mine is only 81 pounds so it's not that heavy, but it sure is fun to shoot an arrow that weighs over 800 grains and see it go thru stuff.....

Plus it just feels good...to shoot a heavier bow.

There are folks who hunt from box blinds while sitting quietly drinking coffee....and there are folks who put their whole camp on their back and walk miles back in there....each does what he does for his own quiet reasons.

Same with bow weights.

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2013, 02:04:00 PM »
Kudos and many thanks to Buddy Bell (straightera).

I had a beautiful Green Mountain Longbow listed for sale on the TradGang site.  66" and 59# @ 28" (on my scale).  My draw is 30 1/2", so for a guy used to pulling 45 - 50# @ 28", I was pulling some weight.

I was also considering reducing the weight on this bow.

Buddy came to the rescue.  He explained to me that reducing the weight on a bow seldom works out, and that I would be able with some effort to work up to this heavier draw weight without any problem.  He recommended the exercises repeated above in this post.

Well I have been following Buddy's recommendations for a couple of weeks, and this morning I shot 25 arrows through my Green Mountain before I started to feel a little strained, and I am still getting stronger!

Thanks Buddy.  That Green Mountain bow isn't going anywhere.  The only problem is that all of my other bows are starting to feel so light!  LOL.

Sincerely,
Rob

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2013, 02:30:00 PM »
Some great folks in our little section of the  world! I've had pleasure to correspond with many likeminded fellows herein.

Rob above is a study in this regard. I'm very happy for your progress with that especially nice Green Mtn longbow! BTW, I'm packed for my elk hunt already! No political references I promise!

Those that can do.., those that can't criticize. Have fun shooting your bows & you win regardless of weight.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©