3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hydration?  (Read 620 times)

Offline 1Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Hydration?
« on: August 01, 2013, 05:04:00 PM »
Wondering  if you guys use anything other than water in your hydration packs. I guess I'm asking for the western ,or mountain hunters about additives for electrolites . Thanks

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hydration?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 05:39:00 PM »
water only in my camel back.  If I drink a sports beverage I will consume half, fill back up with water, then drink the diluted drink.  Putting sugar in your hydration bladder can make it smell and taste funky.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 05:48:00 PM »
Camelbak sells some flovor tabs but I haven't used them yet. I usually carry a water bottle, some Mio and fill from my quick link.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 05:57:00 PM »
All water here.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Firstlight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 06:03:00 PM »
Usually water only but sometimes I do add powdered gatoraid to H20 when I know it's going to be HOT out and a long day of hiking...

It helps!!

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 06:06:00 PM »
Water only.  I may drink a Gatorade or something like that before I head out, but you are supposed to drink AT LEAST twice as much water as any kind of electrolyte drink.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 09:40:00 PM »
Emergen-C makes an electrolyte mix, this isn't their vitamin C thing you take to keep from getting sick, it's an electrolyte mix and each pack makes a whole liter of water and has kind of a lemon lime flavor. No calories either. It comes in a green box, here in Denver I buy it at Sprout's Market. I also like the Camelbak Elixir tablets you put in water bladder.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 10:19:00 PM »
I'm not allowed plain water out doing such.  I have to have at least electrolytes, but most of the time the nutritionist will harp on calories as well.  If I don't have electrolytes, my heart gets funny.  I tend to go with something like Gatorade, but honestly I'd rather find a better balanced solution.  I always used Powerade in my Camelbak when I could distance cycle, but I need to look into it better for this year's hunting.

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 10:50:00 PM »
I fill up my stomach with water last thing before I walk out, and carry only a quart for a few hours hunt, just to sip on. Big fan of gatorade but I agree with Awbowman about 2 to 1 water to gatorade.
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 11:04:00 PM »
There is enough stuff that can grow in your bladder with only water in it.  Anything else just adds to the growth.
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 11:11:00 PM »
Altitude and heat compound the hydration problem.  Waterin the bladder.  Some type of electrolyte replacement in canteens.  Carry more than you think.  Packing a deer out of canyon at noon almost downed me due to lack of water.  Will not make that mistake again
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 11:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by Michael Pfander:
There is enough stuff that can grow in your bladder with only water in it.  Anything else just adds to the growth.
MAP
That's why an occasional bleach bath or citric acid bath is in order. But your definitely correct, I proved you right the other day when I poured the brown fluid out of my camelback from turkey season. Been sitting with bleach water in it for 5 or 6 days, put some water and lemon juice in it tonight, put fresh water and electrolyte mix in it tomorrow and all will be well again!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 10:33:00 AM »
When i used only water I had real problems with loss of co-ordination and mental acuity. This was pushing all day at or above 9500 feet.
My body needed electrolites and when I went to adding them to my water the above problems went away.

This is why I use a nalgene 32oz bottle. I don't think bladders are that good for what I do.
You don't need a steady dose of them, but they are very helpful in keeping your body at peak performance.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 10:34:00 AM »
I don't have a hydration pack, but I do carry a water bottle/canteen.  Been working for me in the mountains on my western hunts for the past 30 years.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 10:40:00 AM »
I like water in my hydration system it makes the clean up easier. I have use gator aid and tang when using purifying tablets in the past. Now I take a extra full gator aid or water bottle and powder if I need something extra. Sometimes I just need something besides water after several days on the trail.

Offline Nuctech

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2013, 10:59:00 AM »
I tried wilderness athlete hydrate and recover on a backpack mule deer hunt last year in my hydration bladder.  I liked the taste and it doesn't have near the amount of sugar that some gatorade powder does. It really seemed to help with muscle cramps at night after a long day of hiking up and down ridges. I seemed to drink more of it than just plain water but I always keep an extra bottle of just water in my pack.  It didn't leave a real sticky residue in my hydration bladder but I always clean it thoroughly when I get home.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2013, 11:04:00 AM »
Water only in the camelback, and with the "straw" attached to the shoulder strap of my daypack I can sip quickly/easily/frequently.  Never liked the sports drinks and never felt so good as when you've drank nothing but clear mountain water for a week.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2013, 11:39:00 AM »
For you guys who use electolytes, what brand do you like?  I have always used just water or maybe some Gatoraid but last year opening day of Elk camp I had a real issue mid morning that turned into severe leg cramps right after lunch.  A gallon of water later I finally urinated for the first time so dehydration was definately a factor.  I am now wondering if I also had an electrolyte imbalance because dehydration has never affected me like that before.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2013, 12:22:00 PM »
Oral Rehydration Salts (ORS ) is another option without the sugars.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2013, 12:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by NBK:
Water only in the camelback, and with the "straw" attached to the shoulder strap of my daypack I can sip quickly/easily/frequently.  Never liked the sports drinks and never felt so good as when you've drank nothing but clear mountain water for a week.
I'm with Mike.   I may take an EmergenC or two and mix it in a water bottle but 99% of the time it's water only in my Platypus bladder.  Besides, I wait all year for the taste of that water!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©