3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk hunting Colorados san Juan's  (Read 478 times)

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Elk hunting Colorados san Juan's
« on: August 01, 2013, 09:18:00 PM »
Hey guys my hunting buddies and I are looking to do an elk next year fall of 2014, and I have always had an interest in southern Colorado, I am not looking for anyone's honey holes just want some general info on hunting pressure, what elevation elk are typically at that time of year, and just the overall hunting down there, I know a lot of the units are OTC which is a plus not having points. But anyway just looking for some general info, thank you! And God bless

Drew
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk hunting Colorados san Juan's
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 10:17:00 PM »
Drew, that is some wicked tough country.  You are one in good enough shape with determination to tackle it.  Good luck    :thumbsup:

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 10:36:00 PM »
Steve, that's what attracted me to it, go where only the not right guys would go !

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 10:39:00 PM »
I've been looking to plan a trip in that area as well in the next year or two. The 70 zones look great on a map. I would love to hear how it is there as well!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline akaboomer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 11:08:00 PM »
I can say that the elk range from the lowest to the highest elevations.  The higher elevations tend to have more elk but no way its an easy hunt. The rougher nastier places can be the places they like the best. Dont plan on finding places folks wont go. The guys that are determined will be there if there are elk.

That being said hunt hard cover lots of ground and you stand a high chance of getting an opportunity.  If the elk aren't there move on. Finding them is at times is difficult and they can be here today and miles away tomorrow.  Don't put all your eggs in one basket, be willing to try a spot even miles away.

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 08:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by akaboomer:
I can say that the elk range from the lowest to the highest elevations.  The higher elevations tend to have more elk but no way its an easy hunt. The rougher nastier places can be the places they like the best. Dont plan on finding places folks wont go. The guys that are determined will be there if there are elk.

That being said hunt hard cover lots of ground and you stand a high chance of getting an opportunity.  If the elk aren't there move on. Finding them is at times is difficult and they can be here today and miles away tomorrow.  Don't put all your eggs in one basket, be willing to try a spot even miles away.
Hunted there once and THIS is exactly the deal.  Hard country.  Be in great shape, have more than one trail head in mind and be willing to move.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 08:18:00 AM »
We hunted the San Jaun and it was TOUGH.  Really too tough for us.  Saw elk, just couldn't get on them within trad bow range.  We did have fun though.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 09:53:00 AM »
Love the South San Juan's.  Hunted there twice.  The pack in is tough but worth it.  Saw some good bulls, pretty country, got LOTS of exercise and were able to get a cow after 2 years and 200 foot miles.

Can't wait to go back!

Greg

Offline Nuctech

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 11:05:00 AM »
I will be hunting this year in the south San Juans during the second week of September for elk.  I can't wait! Been training hard since I have heard this country is straight up and down.  This is my first elk hunt with trad equipment.  I hope to have some good pictures to post when it is all said and done.

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 12:13:00 PM »
Awesome pictures!  Two4, how far didnyounhave to pack in to get away from te crowds, did you run into many other guys?

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 01:29:00 PM »
"A Man Made of Elk" knows, he lives there. Read David Petersen.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 01:48:00 PM »
There are places there where you can stand straight up and reach out your arm and touch the ground. Some of the steepest stuff I have ever hunted. And there were plenty of hunters. But the country was big enough that you could find little out of the way places and get away from the hunters and find the elk. I would plan on moving every two to three days of hunting. The elk get scared fast and leave the area. So then you have to go find them. Gary

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 03:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Stixbowdrew:
Awesome pictures!  Two4, how far didnyounhave to pack in to get away from te crowds, did you run into many other guys?
We had to hile 1 mile in elevation and 3 miles of steep switchbacks to even get to the huntable area.  From there we hiked 5 more miles back in and hunted there for a week.  We killed the cow back at the top of the trail where we came in, on the way out....go figure.  

the trailhead:

We were there a week starting on the first day of muzzleloader and bumped 2 solo compound bow hunters (say Hi to Moe if you go) and 2 groups of compounders(2 in one group, 3 in another) during the week.  There was also a guided muzzleloader father/son that we never bumped into except on the hike in when they past us with horses (they looked pretty good at that point).  

The easier trailheads had a lot of trucks parked but that initial hill made it pretty spacious where we were.

The elk could be anywhere.....they move.

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »
Awesome thanks for all the great tips so far guys! That first hill looks a little intimidating!

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »
wish I was going back this year!  Beautiful country!

Home:

Neighbors:

Morning:

Practice:

Ghosts:

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2013, 04:00:00 PM »
Ambush:

and missed opportunities:

and sweet success!

:campfire:

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2013, 04:07:00 PM »
Very awesome pictures!

Offline NormanDale33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2013, 05:05:00 PM »
You may need to look and check if the area you are planning has been taken out by fire. Our usual draw area was burned up recently. Beautiful country that is often in my dreams. Can't wait to get back.
Seems like there is lots of area to hunt with elk around most of it. Would really help to call the wildlife biologist in the area to ask. We always find elk around meadows close to water and dark timber, especially north facing. They love to hole up in the dark trees. Can't wait to see pics.
Show me your ways, LORD,teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me,for you are God my Savior,and my hope is in you all day long.

Psalms 25:4-5

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2013, 05:24:00 PM »
Don't have one specific unit nailed down yet got loads more research to do,

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2013, 06:27:00 PM »
Going in about 4-5 weeks,  first time in that area, I'll let you all know how it goes when I return
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©