3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Step away from that target !  (Read 228 times)

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
Step away from that target !
« on: August 01, 2013, 09:35:00 PM »
Because its convenient, I shoot my target most every evening but this evening I done a little rove, which I havent done for quite a spell, through the pasture and down my lane, WOW ! I shot better than ive shot in ages!
Im sure theres no such thing as targetitis, but if there is, I had it!
By simply getting away from my target, my shots and form were as smooth and fluid as a flowing stream, and my sense of concentration seemed like it was magnified X 2, which in turn equated into much improved accuracy.
Any body else experience this ?   :campfire:

Offline Cmane07

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Step away from that target !
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 09:39:00 PM »
I definitely do.  I can shoot my target terribly but then hit random pine cones like nobody's business!
Caleb Hinton

58" PA-X cocobolo 50lbs @28"
"Luck favors preparation"

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 09:50:00 PM »
Random shooting practice is the best!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 10:17:00 PM »
Variety is the spice of life....LOL!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 10:21:00 PM »
Every year right before deer season I get into a funk and my accuracy and confidense go south. I guess it's the building excitement and the pressure to make a perfect shot that plays games with my mind.

When I realize it's happening I take a walk with a Judo. With the first shot I am reassured that the problem is my bullseye and 3-D targets, not me. Drilling random targets within hunting ranges is the confidence builder I need to hit the season with the right mindset.

Judo points are such a wonderful tool for the beginner learning instinctive shooting and those of us who have been at it awhile.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 10:37:00 PM »
Man all this shooting has me pumped up!  I'll soon be fighting 90+ degrees and enough mosquitoes to carry you away.  Can't wait to here the deer coming through the water!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 10:46:00 PM »
Around here when we go roving we are often shooting at live targets...they are Richardsons Ground Squirrels but we just call them gophers...lots of different unknown distances at small live targets will make anyone better on big game

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline -snypershot317-

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 11:24:00 PM »
i can say that i suffer from it...i can shoot all day at target and shoot anything but good at it. then i take off on a rove or small game hunt and can hit just about anything or miss by fractions instead of gaping misses of inches  :p  i personally cant shoot a target to save my life with any form of equipment  :p  but glad to hear you were cleared of the target blues  :D
"Now then, get your weapons-your quiver and bow-and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me." ~Gen 27:3

"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." ~Joshua 24:15b

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 06:37:00 AM »
Originally posted by -snypershot317-:
i can say that i suffer from it...i can shoot all day at target and shoot anything but good at it. then i take off on a rove or small game hunt and can hit just about anything or miss by fractions instead of gaping misses of inches   :p   i personally cant shoot a target to save my life with any form of equipment   :p   but glad to hear you were cleared of the target blues   :D  
Thank goodness! I thought it was just me that can't put together consistent groups on a target.    :knothead:   Good thing deer aren't made out of foam and have 5 a dice layout on their vitals.
55# Kodiak Mag

"Stay calm, Pick a spot."

Zwickey, the 1911 of Broadheads.
->>>-------->

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 08:15:00 AM »
I step away from my target at home about a month before the season starts.  Just stump shoot daily.  Performing under a variety of conditions sure helps when season comes in and you are shooting at live animals.

Offline -snypershot317-

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 01:46:00 AM »
yeah thankfully they dont..lol..otheriwse id be in trouble. although i am still looking for my first trad archery deer. ive been successful with trad muzzle loader but have yet to be successful with trad achery    :p   . hopefully will get my chance soon enough. i enjoy the sport but sometimes the target blues are more of a challenge than actually hunting    :rolleyes:
"Now then, get your weapons-your quiver and bow-and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me." ~Gen 27:3

"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." ~Joshua 24:15b

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 04:21:00 AM »
+1!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 07:05:00 AM »
When that happens to me, I step up a few feet away from the target and just concentrate on my form not worrying at what I hit. I also do a lot of random shooting.  At our farm in SC I have clear water bottles scattered around just about the size of a squirrel. You know when you hit those by the loud wack...tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©