3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: nock point  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: nock point
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2013, 12:50:00 AM »
I use the tie on nocks points with a piece of old string material and coat with super glue.You can twist them like a nut to adjust them.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2013, 07:11:00 AM »
I use the adjuestable version shown by Ryan Sanpei on youtube
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline gordydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2013, 09:06:00 AM »
I really encourage you to try masking tape for your string nock.  It's so simple and effective.  Takes seconds and can last many weeks\\months of everyday shooting.  You can play with how many wraps and wrap direction get most durable result. It will surprise you how well it works. Great for tuning since it's easy to change out.

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2013, 09:36:00 AM »
I use both brass/tie-on. Tie-ons stay put if they are done properly. Rob DiStephano has a great little "how-to" in the "how-to" section on here. I shoot 3-under,and just do a top nock. rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline Paul_R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2013, 12:16:00 PM »
I struggled with this myself. I like the brass nock points but I could never install them worth  beans. No matter what tool I used they always looked like crap. Having them loose enough to move around would always cause the serving to spread out and they wouldn't stay put. And forget about removing them without tearing the serving....

Then I found the Tru-Fire Universal Crimping Tool.

Crimping Tool  

Perfect nock points every time. And it has a remover that actually uncurls the nock point so well that it can be reused and you'd never know it wasn't brand new!

Kinda pricy but for a ham handed hack like myself, worth every penny!

BTW, I like the tape idea    :thumbsup:
"My opinion is free and worth every penny"

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2013, 12:35:00 PM »
Starting from scratch, I tie an adjustable nocking point that threads up and down the center serving.  I use serving material in the .025-.030" range, tied in a whip knot, in the same direction as the center serving with around 6 loops.  3" material makes one knot, but you need approx. 8" or so working length to pull the tag ends.  Once the final nocking point is set, a dab of superglue locks it into place.

If I already know the perfect nocking point height, I may merely tie one into place using dental floss.  But, if materials are at hand, it is still easier to whip tie an adjustable nocking point, which can be thread up and down the center serving, to ensure the nock point is exactly where it need to be prior to locking it into place.

I completely dislike crip-on brass nock points, and I prefer a single nocking point set for "Hill" style nocking over.

Best  :)

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2013, 03:55:00 PM »
I use the whip knot like Daddy Bear. I use .035 Halo serving. I have used several tie on nocking points and none of them were good at adjusting until I started using the whip knot. Here is a video on how to tie it.

cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2013, 03:57:00 PM »
I tie on two, one above and below. I prefer bowstring material over serving thread because it lays nice and flat. However, I also use serving thread. Just worked one up yesterday in fact.

I trashed my brass nock locater supply back in 2005 or before.

There is a nice video at nasparchery.com showing how to tie on.  I've never had one move, in fact I can't move them if I try. I've tied on a few hundred, mostly on student archer bows.

Offline TC in Spfld

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2013, 05:21:00 PM »
I've used crimp on brass nocks for 45+ years with 0 problems.

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2013, 06:23:00 PM »
Dental floss and a dab of fletchtite. Brass nocks cut into my cordovan tabs, which I really dislike, even though I file down all sharp edges of the brass nocks.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline bucksakemmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2013, 06:27:00 PM »
I use a strand of the white inner from paracord, work great

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2013, 06:31:00 PM »
Tie-on nock point for me1 I use tan .024 halo for serving and a black serving material for my nocking points. I get them real close cause I know my bows pretty well, but always have to move a twist or two when tuning in a new string.

Bisch

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2013, 08:34:00 PM »
Old bow strings
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2013, 09:30:00 PM »
I use dental floss and a drop of glue spread into it when done. Holds up for several years that way. I, personally can't stand the brass nocks. Too hard to do anything with and to get off.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
Dental floss and a drop of glue. The brass nocks  cut my tab up.
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2013, 11:24:00 PM »
I don't have any problem finding where the nocking point needs to be. Once the right position is established I make mine permanent.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©