3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need some advice  (Read 190 times)

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
Need some advice
« on: August 02, 2013, 06:03:00 AM »
I have a bit of a dilemma, I have a beautiful 64" hybrid bow that was made by a local bowyer that I bought new last year for $800. I haven't been able to get used to the thicker grip, and have decided that I prefer shorter bows (52-56"). I'd REALLY like to have a R/D longbow in that length range. The bowyer has quit making and working on bows due to some serious health issues. And there is just NO WAY that I can afford to buy another bow.
 So here's the question....Should I contact another bowyer to see if they can shorten this bow & fix the grip to better fit my hand, or just try my luck with a trade on the classifieds here (there are a few on the classifieds now that perfectly fit the bill of what I'd like to have, just can't afford to buy them   :banghead:   )?
 I don't know how much to expect this kind of work to cost.   :pray:

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need some advice
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 06:12:00 AM »
Shortening the bow is really not an option.  The limb design is a function of the length, the core materials that make it up, and the width of the limbs.  Shortening the bow, especially that much, would make it dramatically heavier and completely change the shooting characteristics.  

Changing the grip to fit your preference would be a fairly simple modification though, so if you could live with the longer length if the grip fit better that would be a good route to go.  To me, grip is everything in a bow, and if one fits you it makes all the difference in the world.  And personally, I prefer longer bows over shorter ones.  They are more forgiving and smoother drawing. (At least in my mind)

If you really want a short bow, your best bet is to take your lumps and sell your bow and then use that money toward the bow of your dreams.  A trade might work if you can find someone who wants exactly what you have and he happens to have exactly what you want.  But that is much harder to  pull off than a sale/purchase transaction.

Good luck!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 06:55:00 AM »
Get the grip done the way you like it and save  your pennies for the bow you would really like to have.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 07:31:00 PM »
Listen to Whip, I gain 8 lbs for every 2" I peg a bow.  Changing the grip is a simple matter, since some refinishing will be involved you can expect the neighborhood of $100 + shipping both ways.

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 03:51:00 AM »
I appreciate the input, fellas. I kinda figured the shortening wouldn't be much of an option. I thank you for the explanation about WHY it won't work. I guess I'll see what happens on the classifieds....

Thanks again, for the replies.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©