3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Grizzly Broadheads ...  (Read 726 times)

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grizzly Broadheads ...
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2013, 12:13:00 PM »
Yep, they are great broadheads !!!

I've killed a few critters with them and have always been impressed..

Offline T Mowery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2013, 04:39:00 PM »
Bill has done an outstanding job on the Grizzley heads.The only way that he could improve on them now,is to hand them out free  :biglaugh:  

Have mine surgical sharp with the KME broadhead sharpener.Great stuff.
I think food is important and if you don't know how to cook, it's tragic." Julia Child

Offline bluemoonrising

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2013, 11:17:00 AM »
Bill--will you ever come out with 1-piece screw-in broadheads? Thanks!

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2013, 11:53:00 AM »
To have a screw-in all you have to do is mount them on an adapter.With the improved ferrule of the Grizzly,it is a snap to get them mounted and spinning true.It also gives you the ability mount your broadhead horizontally,vertically or however you want it if your arrows already have inserts glued in.Adapters come in several weights and different metals so you can customize the broadhead weight,making the glue-in a way more versatile option.

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2013, 12:07:00 PM »
I will echo all the praises above for the quality and ease of sharpening of the new Grizzly heads.

I had a chance to try out the new 185 gr head this weekend and was extremely impressed. With the added blade thickness these are one tuff looking broadhead. I weighed the broadhead before mounting it and it weighed 184.5 gr on my digital scale...about as close as you can get to an advertised weight.  I put it on a 75 gr steel adapter and it mounted up great and spun perfectly. Final weight was 259 gr.  I wanted to sharpen the head before shooting it just to see how easily it sharpened.  First I removed the burr by laying the flat side on a fine diamond stone and giving it about 10 back and forth strokes.  I then put the head in my KME broadhead sharpener and gave the beveled side about 15 light strokes which pushed a very small burr back to the flat side which I took off with a few strokes on a leather strop. Start to finish maybe 1 minute and the head was surgical sharp.  I'd post pics but I don't want anyone getting cut   :saywhat:  

I had little doubt that the broadhead would shoot great based on my past experience with Grizzly heads but just to confirm I shot the head side by side with my field tips (250 gr) and had I not known the head was on one of the arrows would not have known the difference...perfect flight.

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2013, 05:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by bluemoonrising:
Bill--will you ever come out with 1-piece screw-in broadheads? Thanks!
We will. I have to get a screw machine first. That way I can produce the inserts myself. I have looked into a few different options already. CNC heads are very expensive to have built if you dont own a cnc machine.
I have had some steel inserts welded into the Grizzly's at the same time as the halves were welded. That way the steel insert would be heat treated also. It worked pretty well but there were some gaps around the inserts at the back of the heads. Even though they were welded in and quite strong I dont think guys would like the looks of that.
I have looked into other options as well but have not yet decided on the best option yet. The main hold up is a screw machine. Unfortunately they dont just give those away.       :D    

Every time I see that photo Jim. I just shake my head in amazement. It had to take some time to hone that entire bevel. That is one heck of a picture.

Aaron, You are the first to get a hold of the 185 grain Grizzly. It seems we have the same impression of them. I can hardly wait to send one through a critter.

Thanks guys for all of your responses.

Thank you Jeff for letting me piggy back on your thread.

I will try to get some pictures of the 185 grain tomorrow. Tracy is not here to post them for me tonight.

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2013, 05:52:00 AM »
I have noticed the new ones made by zipper hold a hunting indge much longer then the last owner. I have some in a quiver fromt last year that  have been shot into a foam target many times, yet are still able to shave hair. They are harder to get the original edge (like the very first grizzlys) but theu really hold it.  I use just a small BH file.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2013, 09:39:00 AM »
"Every time I see that photo Jim. I just shake my head in amazement. It had to take some time to hone that entire bevel. That is one heck of a picture."

It didn't take as long as you might think.I worked them first on a coarse diamond hone and from there it is a snap.Great broadheads.

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2013, 05:20:00 PM »
I just mounted some Kodiak 200s on some Surewoods.  I usually shoot VPA Terminators, but I thought I might give these a try and see if they might work for my elk arrows next year.

D.P.

Offline crafty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2013, 07:00:00 PM »
All i know is i have been looking at single bevel heads for almost to years off and on and still not exactly sure if i want to try some or not..  UNTIL i read this thread.  Ive heard nothing but good in the past and Thanks to you fellas for pushing over the edge.  haha    Ill be picking up some soon for sure.
~Archer By Heart, Bowhunter By Blood~

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2013, 07:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by crafty:
All i know is i have been looking at single bevel heads for almost to years off and on and still not exactly sure if i want to try some or not..  UNTIL i read this thread.  Ive heard nothing but good in the past and Thanks to you fellas for pushing over the edge.  haha    Ill be picking up some soon for sure.
I was in your same boat. Looking forward to getting them bloody now.

Offline crafty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2013, 07:32:00 PM »
Likewise
~Archer By Heart, Bowhunter By Blood~

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2013, 07:48:00 PM »

Finally that picture I promised.This is the 185 Grain Grizzly with a steel adaptor.
Bill

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2013, 08:43:00 PM »
Very mean looking head!  Sorely tempted, but have a pile of sharps already.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »

"I've never gotten anything so sharp in my life"

There are a lot of people that struggle with getting Grizzly's (older models) sharp...I'm not one of them.  The new Zipper Grizzly's are a huge improvement!  

Great job Bill & Tracey!  

Kris

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2013, 10:17:00 PM »
:eek:  Really like the looks of that one Bill !!!

Bill

Offline Stealth Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2013, 10:49:00 PM »
I've been hesitant to get some as reviews I've read have said the adapters dont fit flush to the ferrules and that they are very dull requiring alot of attention.   Are these now made different?  Have I read some crazy reviews?   Love to get some if I can be reassured as to their quality......as this thread is helping with

Offline Stealth Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2013, 10:49:00 PM »
I've been hesitant to get some as reviews I've read have said the adapters dont fit flush to the ferrules and that they are very dull requiring alot of attention.   Are these now made different?  Have I read some crazy reviews?   Love to get some if I can be reassured as to their quality......as this thread is helping with

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2013, 10:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by Stealth Man:
Yes, these are different

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2013, 11:49:00 PM »
[QUOTEI've been hesitant to get some as reviews I've read have said the adapters dont fit flush to the ferrules and that they are very dull requiring alot of attention. Are these now made different? Have I read some crazy reviews? Love to get some if I can be reassured as to their quality......as this thread is helping with[/QUOTE]

The pre-Zipper Grizzlies had a bevel that was not 25 degrees, and because of the hard steel required a fair amount of effort to get really sharp. The original Grizzlies also suffered from some fairly primitive construction. Ugly welds, braze runs, etc. I also found the heat treating to be inconsistent. A lot of us still persevered and used them because at the end of the day they were a solid performing head after they were 'cleaned up'.

The first thing i noticed with the Zipper Grizzlies was the clean rear edges (no stamping/machining edges) as well as the crisp spot welds and pre-set bevel.

I love the new Grizzlies, and am hoping to put one of the new 185's through some rigorous 'in the field' testing in another three plus weeks.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©