3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lighted nocks  (Read 919 times)

Offline Hunterdad

• Trad Bowhunter
Lighted nocks
« on: August 04, 2013, 12:37:00 PM »
During my compound years, I loved the Easton Tracer lighted nocks that used a magnet to activate. For some reason they are not nearly as reliable on  my recurve. Just curious what brands work well for you?

Thank you

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lighted nocks
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 02:08:00 PM »
On a primitive site, a guy shared video of how he'd built a cane arrow, then added a Nockturnal nock (which he claimed held up better, turned on and off better and was brighter) than others.

It was a hoot to watch someone shoot a self bow, with cane arrows and a high tech lighted nock!

FWIW
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 02:14:00 PM »
I would say nocturnal s as well. Easy on and off. Have used them for some night shooting without any problems. Although not the norm for trad shooters.

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 03:26:00 PM »
Nocturnal fan here also.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 03:57:00 PM »
Nocturnals for me too.

Offline Cmane07

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 04:06:00 PM »
Never shot a lighted out of a trad bow but nocturnals worked great when I shot the wheelie bow so I'd try them.
Caleb Hinton

58" PA-X cocobolo 50lbs @28"
"Luck favors preparation"

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 06:02:00 PM »
Nockturnals also. They are the only recommended by Alaska Bow Hunting Supply for their shafts.
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 06:26:00 PM »
Use the Nockturnals on my hunting arrows also. Seeing were my arrows strikes an animal is way more important than worrying on how trad my arrow is. Eye balls aren't as sharp as my broadheads!
Glenn

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 08:07:00 PM »
The Easton's are probably not as reliable out o the recurve because there is a lot more bending of the arrow around the riser. Your compound probably shot a very stiff arrow out of a perfectly center shot bow.

On an interesting note, as a Pope & Young member, I recently received a poll asking if I was pro or con on allowing them to be legalized for entries.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 08:15:00 PM »
I like Nockturnals over all the other. It is very useful,hunting wild boars at the last light of the day,to know where you have hit your target and where it is gone.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 07:35:00 AM »
Nockturnals are great!  It's not a gaget for hunting hogs in the swamps as most of the time there are multiple hogs present.  They all scatter at the shot.  Watching a hit hog run off gives you the starting path for your recovery! The lighted nock doesn't do anything to improve your shooting, it improves your recovery of a hit animal...that's traditional!
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 07:56:00 AM »
Check out "Two Guys and a Bow Archery". Best deal on lighted nocks and good reviews.
Tom

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 08:05:00 AM »
I use Lumenoks for hog hunting. I've had good luck with them. There is a cool night hog harvest on Bill Langer's new video with a lighted nock.
I shot a small boar Friday afternoon using a Lumenok, here is the link to the video:

As you can see in the video, I didn't really need the lumenok but they have helped me recover game in the past.

Offline StickSlinger74

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 10:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by onewhohasfun:
Check out "Two Guys and a Bow Archery". Best deal on lighted nocks and good reviews.
I've been using these for 2 seasons now and they are great!  Green and Red are both very bright and at $49/dozen they're the best deal out there right now!

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 10:56:00 AM »
Didn't think there would be so many using an "electronic" device on arrows while shooting a stickbow...?
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 12:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by snag:
Didn't think there would be so many using an "electronic" device on arrows while shooting a stickbow...?
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I don't believe there is anything more important than knowing where that arrow hit. I swore yrs. ago that my nite time blood trailing days were over. Now with the coyote situation the way it is things have changed.

I don't use lighted nocks, yet. But am considering using them.
Tom

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 12:54:00 PM »
They are just a very useful tool, do not make you shoot better, but can be invaluable in finding a downed animal as well as showing exactly where it is hit in low light. Stuff happens so why not use them if you want to. I am not getting any younger and neither are my eyes, yes I will use them in low light conditions. nocturnals for me as well.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2013, 01:06:00 PM »
Before you use them, make sure they are legal in your state.  In Colorado, for example, they are not legal.  I asked the quesiton a couple years ago as the regs only banned 'electronic devices on bows' and got a response that the ban did indeed include lighted nocks.  I see this year that it is spelled out in the regs.

I personally don't use them and likely won't in the future.  I use the dyed rabbit fur "tracers" sold by 3R on some arrows and this year bought them at a flytieing shop for a fraction of the cost.  Use contact cement to put them on your arrow - less than a grain each.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2013, 07:53:00 PM »
nocturnal
lumenocks came on in the rain (in the quiver)
Slickhead

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2013, 09:07:00 PM »
Used most brands at one time or another and nocturnal by far out performs the others.  

As far as them not being "traditional"...I'm pretty sure the Native Americans didn't have carbon or foam core limbs either.      :biglaugh:
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©