3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lighted nocks  (Read 920 times)

Offline RickE

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lighted nocks
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2013, 09:31:00 AM »
I like to use the lumenoks.  Work fine for me and they are a blast to shoot in my back yard in low light against a 18-1 target.  It's just too much fun to watch the arrow fly like a tracer bullet right to where you're looking.

Offline irishhacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2013, 10:57:00 AM »
I used to be a nocturnal fan..
Since then, I found TGB tail light nocks..
They are more durable, brighter, and half the price!
 http://www.tgbarchery.com/Page_6.html
60x Custom Strings Staff Shooter  http://www.60xcustomstrings.com/

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2013, 10:58:00 AM »
The debate was intense at times here in Washington state, but the pro-lighted nock crowd prevailed and will be legal for use this year.
Lon Scott

Offline irishhacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2013, 07:57:00 AM »
I feel compelled to retract my statement a couple posts up regarding TGB nocks.
I posted this on another site in a thread started by the manufacturer titled "Lighted nocks at a great price"

These nocks indeed come at a great price..
I certainly paid the price last night.

With 10 minutes of shooting light left.. one of the bucks I've been after came into my doe decoy.
He approached her from the downwind side leaving me an 18 yard broadside shot. (perfect.. just like I scripted it)
I draw my longbow.. and let the arrow fly.
Wait, what the heck just happened? My arrow comes out of the bow in an erratic flight pattern and I see the TGB lighted nock land short of the deer.
Thinking this was just a fluke..
The buck jumps a couple yards to my left leaving me another shot. He is intoxicated by the decoy..
I nock another arrow.. I draw back.. let it fly.. same thing..
Arrow comes out crazy.. I see the nock land short of the deer.
At this point, I just hang the bow up and sit back and watch.. as the buck walks away.
I waited till 20 minutes after dark to get down.. really didn't want the buck to see me (as if he hasn't been spooked enough)

I get down and find both by TGB nocks .. but no arrows.. Only the nocks..
I was able to find both my arrows later with a flashlight.

I was assured these TGB nocks work with GoldTip arrows.
In fact, they did work when I practiced with them under warm weather conditions.
True, they did not fit quite as tight as the GT nocks that were provided by GoldTip.
TGB is adamant that their nocks work well with GoldTip arrows.
However, my theory is that during cold weather conditions, the plastic material they make their nocks with-- shrinks..
I believe this is what cost me my buck last night.

After last nights events.. I pulled the other 4 TGB nocks off my arrows and put them in the trash.. with the 2 that came off.. right where they belong.
Never again will I pay a high price like that..
60x Custom Strings Staff Shooter  http://www.60xcustomstrings.com/

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2013, 08:10:00 AM »
lighted nocks are great for tunning
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2013, 08:20:00 AM »
Originally posted by Coonbait:
Use the Nockturnals on my hunting arrows also. Seeing were my arrows strikes an animal is way more important than worrying on how trad my arrow is. Eye balls aren't as sharp as my broadheads!
Glenn
Ditto
Primal Tech Longbow 42#@26” 62” amo
Palmer Longbow 43#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 48@26" 58" amo
Osage Selfbow 38#@26” 64” amo

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2013, 03:11:00 PM »
Nockturnals for me.  I killed an 8 point on Oct 24.  The arrow is on top of my gun safe.  Its still on!

Offline Rick Moss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2013, 03:48:00 PM »
i have never used them, but have seen others use them, and they are pretty cool. but I think it is absolutely STUPID that you cannot enter a buck killed with an arrow with a lighted nock into the books(nor do I really give two turds about entering any buck into the books), but they absolutely do nothing to affect the performance or help 'cheat' in harvesting an animal. all they are is to help follow the path of the arrow and better see shot placement, I don't see why these would not be allowed...I really don't get it, honestly. sorry for my little rant, I do feel better now.

Online two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2013, 04:10:00 PM »
I feel the opposite as most.  Electronic devices do not belong on my traditional bow.  I strive to simplify my gear and hunting and enjoy the challanges and successes.  I do not need them and they are a gadget for sure.  Prices are high enough for my arrows with the cost of broadheads that I definietly do not want to add to that cost.  I use wood anyway.  I would love to shoot an animal for the books though I doubt it would happen where I hunt.....but I would follow the rules...there are other books you can get into without going down the slippery slope of allowing electronic devices.  Heck my state now considers the crossbow an "archery weapon".  Why add technology to a low technology device.  Soon you will be down the road that the inline muzzle loader has taken.

Just my 2 cents.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2013, 04:16:00 PM »
Lets answer the question and not condem his choice please.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2013, 05:38:00 PM »
I sure could of used one last night. Right at dark a group hogs came out under my tree. I hit my hog but the way they all scattered and in tall grass, I could not tell what direction it went. Never found him.

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2013, 05:38:00 PM »
I may go to them. I missed my last two shots due to low light conditions and never saw the arrows fly on either one to tell where I missed.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2013, 05:48:00 PM »
Can some reccomend a good place to buy them?
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2013, 06:22:00 PM »
If your looking for nocturnals, 3rivers a sponsor carries them.

I have used both the nocturnals and the fire nock and like them both. Although the firenock can be turned off if the arrow is banged into trees and such as the critter runs.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Robert Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2014, 06:30:00 PM »
Nocturnals, but I like bright fletch on arrows just as well, maybe better.

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2014, 06:33:00 PM »
Ive used nocturnals and luminocks
Luminocks came on in the rain (had a quiver full of glowing arrows)

Nocturnals are better IMO
Slickhead

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2014, 12:28:00 AM »
I've been thinking about trying them. Where I hunt the animals normally come out right at dark,and I can't see the arrow fly most of the time. Has anyone heard of the Firenock? I haven't seen it mentioned one time here,but saw a review on it and they liked it better than all the rest.

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2014, 01:37:00 AM »
To use or not to use?  It is an easy decision in Colorado.  They are illegal for hunting.

Offline GrisMunkyNinja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2014, 02:02:00 AM »
Nockturnals for me.  Lumenocks always seem to turn off on impact, or after an animals is arrowed and gets bashed around by brush.  Only downside is that Nockturnals are their own nocks.  Make sure you check how they fit your nocking area of your string.  I had to modify them on my wheelie bows because they were slightly bigger than my normal nocks and the d-loop would pinch the nock and didn't allow the string to hit the switch.  A little bit of filing is all it takes.  Also no matter what they claim, they will affect flight, and again I believe it is a fit issue more than weight affecting flight.
Stalker Wolverine 58" 45# @ 26

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2014, 03:09:00 AM »
I like to use the Lumenocks for 3D shoots and stumping, but I use the Nockturnals for hunting.

I like the Lumenocks for practice for the same reason I DON'T like them for hunting. They are just not reliable enough to trust that they will stay lit (if they come on at all) for hunting purposes, but they are easier to turn off while shootin' around.

I have had problems with the Nockturnals fitting my strings too tightly, but it's nothing that some sandpaper and a couple of minutes wasn't able to fix. They're a lot harder to turn off once they light (and I've NEVER had one not light when shot unless the battery was dead), but that's a good thing if a critter is taking off with your $30+ arrow. I have had them come out of my Gold Tips too, but I'm sure that just a little tape or a light coat of glue (or maybe wax?) would fix that too.

That's MY experience with them anyway, FWIW.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©