3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What's the dumbest or...?  (Read 1279 times)

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
What's the dumbest or...?
« on: August 06, 2013, 08:17:00 AM »
What is the dumbest, funniest or stupidest(sp) thing you have done in the woods and still saw or shot an animal that day?

Here is one of mine;

At very first light, I was making my way into the woods. I walked into a corner of the woods I have been in dozens of times without issue. There I am, like a polished predator sneaking into the woods. I am moving slowly and stealthily with my treestand on my back and bow in hand. Then, WHAM, I fall into a hole making a huge racket. What the #$@%? How did that hole get there?

A whole lot embarrassed and thanking God my bow was still in one piece, I humbly finished my "sneak" into my hunting spot and climbed a tree. The whole time I am figuring this hunt is over before it ever started....

I wasn't in my stand more than 1 minute when one of the biggest bucks I have ever seen makes his way right behind me! While he never offered a shot, he was at 10 yards forever.

Makes me wonder if he wasn't curious about the noise and the scraping of my stand against the tree as I climbed?

Anyway, that's one of my stories. I figured there isn't too much hunting going on and some campfire stories about mishaps might fill some time. Please feel free to post a funny one if you have it!

God bless,
Charlie

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What's the dumbest or...?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 09:13:00 AM »
Well...I was sprinkling the ground from my tree stand and in walks a doe.
...shot with my pants down..lol   :rolleyes:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 09:18:00 AM »
thats a classic there!!!!lol
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 10:06:00 AM »
I had just got my hang on stand hung, up in it and my pole climbers off..I was soaked in sweat and it was early afternoon in Ga. I decided to take my long sleeve T shirt off and cool down.

I grabbed the bottom and pulled it up over and off my head, looked up and a big doe was standing right in front of my stand looking at me. My arms were still in the sleeves. So, I had no choice by to continue as I would normally do and took my shirt off. Hung it on the limb my recurve was hung on, picked up the bow, drew and shot the doe right behind the shoulder. She stood there and watched it all.

I really felt bad about it..thought she may have been somebody's pet or something.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 10:20:00 AM »
I had to finish going number two and pull up my drawers once to shoot a cow elk. The following year I  had some stomach problems and was going number two and had a 6x6 bull and two cows steering at me at 30 yards. I didn't get the shot that time but did think about marketing a new scent attractant to the hunting world.   :)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 10:40:00 AM »
:biglaugh:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline jlnft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 10:49:00 AM »
One morning a few years ago I was hunting over a oak dropping acorns. Around 9:00am a coyote wandered into range. As luck would have it, I dropped it in its tracks right under the oak tree dropping acorns. After staring at it for about 15 minutes, I decided I better get down and move the coyote. So I proceded to get down, laid my bow at the foot of my tree and walked over to the coyote. I picked up the coyote by the tail and turned to walk back to the tree..... there were 2 bucks directly under my treestand, about 10 feet from my bow and me armed with a dead coyote. They looked at me, I looked at them, and they walked away.

I thought I heard one of them say to the other " hey, was that guy holding a dead coyote?"   :laughing:  

Moral to the story: Always have your bow with you in the woods!
God is good all the time, all the time God is good!!

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 11:01:00 AM »
Good ones! Keep 'em coming.

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 01:08:00 PM »
A year or two ago I was sitting in a new ground blind on a deer trail, in an area full of tall canary grass.  It had been a long time since I'd seen deer in the area, and there wasn't much sign, but it is the only place I really have to hunt around here...

I got all settled, all was quiet, and my eyes and ears were peeled.  I'm dressed in a couple layers of wool and such, all bundled up and cozy.  Suddenly, the alarm on my insulin pump (I'm an insulin-dependent diabetic) starts blaring like I'm about to go into a coma or something.  Real quick, I lay my bow down in front of me, fish through 2 pairs of pants and pull out the pump.  I push all the right buttons and the alarm turns off.  (All of this took about 45 seconds and made a bunch of noise.)  Then I look up and there is a nice buck walking -- as if he were in a trance -- right in my shooting lane, not 10 yards from me.  But it was no use... I had no chance to pick up my bow and shoot.  I watched as he vanished into the 4-foot tall grass.  

That was the closest thing to a shot opportunity I had all season.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »
I was sitting in a platform stand in the dark, waiting on daybreak. I noticed a big dark spot on the burlap I use to camo the stand. Didn't think much about it. Until day broke. I was sitting in a stand with at LEAST 100 red wasps. Luckily the cool weather made them sluggish. I sprayed a whole can of
OFF on them. Figured I was done with all that scent in the air. Ended up shooting a 4 point about a 1/2 hour later.

Offline Rock 'N Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 02:38:00 PM »
On day I was up in a tree for hours and didn't see any action. I decided to leave and loaded my gear into my vehicle. As luck would have it, it wouldn't start. I pushed the vehicle in an attempt to find someone to give me a jump start. As I was doing this, a doe was about ten feet away following me.
Todd Henck Longbow 68" 58#@28"
Dave Johnson Longbow 66" 60#@27"
Northern Mist Ramer 64" 50#@27"
Northern Mist Classic 68" 52#@28"
Shrew Hill #1 "Alpha" 67" 48#@28"

Offline wixwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 04:27:00 PM »
In the 80's when I first started bowhunting I worked 2 jobs and only had 1 night a week off so my buddy and I would leave at 4am Sunday backpack into our area and hunt through Monday afternoon. After a few weekends of this I was gassed out. I hunted in in the morning, found a favored spot and just plain crashed. I would wake up every so often, sit up and look around, shed a layer and doze off again. Finally after a good rest I woke up looked around, saw nothing of interest and proceeded to collect all my scattered gear with the plan to go find game. While I'm collecting gear and thoughts I look up and about 75yds away are 3 bucks and a doe. I couldn't believe they hadn't seen me and on they came. I had just enough time to get bow in hand and cover between us and move enough to have a chance at the best of the 3 dudes. it all came together and I shot my first ever buck with a bow!!!! Now, if I could just make one of those mountain naps work on a nice bull elk. I keep trying that same tactic but I guess I have yet to perfect the wapiti version.
Fort Collins Archery Association
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
NRA Life Member

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 04:32:00 PM »
I was sitting on a branch of an osage tree in Illinois a long long time ago.  It was dark thirty am and I was waiting for any hint of light.  All of a sudden a hedgeapple (wish I had known that at the moment) chose to fall from above, bounce off the branch I was sitting on, then fall to the ground and roll down the small hill side the tree was growing on.  Needless to say, lights went on and all sorts of old stories of aliens, and one armed chainsaw killers were bouncing in my mind.. .   Later, I had a nice broadside shot at a small buck.  Light sure is a good thing.
ChuckC

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 04:37:00 PM »
Zradix that is too funny!    :biglaugh:
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 04:37:00 PM »
Wixwood.  I had that elk nap down a few years back.  Just off a saddle, in the deep shade, sat on the slope with my feet on the trail.  Bow across my knees and face planted on top.  I woke nice and easy, looked to the right, and there was a really nice bull, standing in the sunlight MAYBE 20 yards away, looking like he was going to take the trail across the hill just below me.

Instead he turned a bit and came down MY trail, to about 7 yards away, when he decided to disaperate like Harry Potter.
ChuckC

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 05:10:00 PM »
I had one of those mornings running late with nothing in the cabinets but Poptarts. I hate Poptarts! I had a small buck walk through out of range and didn't get my bow up in time for another buck that walked under me. I sat down thinking the day was shot and opened that awful, noisey, shiney, dry pastery. At the same time a doe walked up the ridge and busted me blowing for a mile down the valley(Dang Poptart!). I thought all was lost til a brute of an 8 point crested the ridge looking for love and ended up with cupids Zwickey in the heart.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 05:15:00 PM »
I work nights. I got off work at 0500 and hit up an island on the Missouri rivers wher  know some good fox squirrel spots. I hunted all day and barely saw no squirrels. Tired and annoyed I headed out around 0930. Bumbling down the trail right by the exit I jumped a fox squirrel which ran up a thick hickory. I backed off 20 yards and sat to wait and promptly fell right to sleep. I came to 30 minutes later because that same squirrel was vbarking his head off at me right at the base of that big old hickory. Lol! Saw me come too and ran off. Would have been a perfect shot too. Ohh well.

Offline misfire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2013, 09:02:00 AM »
Had a tree stand up in the same tree for 3 years. Knew those woods like the back of my hand. Opening morning finds me hitting the woods in the dark. I could not for the life of me find that tree! I wandered around making all kinds of noise including a few choice, descriptive words about my woodsmanship, wondering why I didn't take up golf instead...ended up sitting down till it was light enough to see. My stand tree was about 40 yds from where I was sitting! Climbed up and took a doe about an hour later.
Mark

"The shortest distance from the earth to your mouth is the best." ~Wendell Berry~

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2013, 09:37:00 AM »
I hit the woods about an hour before daylight, walked a dim trail I had marked toward a ridge I planned to hunt. I had to make a pit stop so I put my bow and tree stand down in the trail and walked a few feet into the bushes to take care of business. I went back to pick up my stand and couldn't find it in the dark, how could I loose it, I only walked a few feet away from it.

I zigged and zaged, walked grids,circles, you name it but couldn't find my bow and stand. Just about daylight I stumbled across my gear, I had to have walked by it several times in the dark.

I got to my ridge late but still had a doe come in at 15 yards. I got a case of buck fever and completely blew the shot. The doe was either the first or second deer I shot at after I started bow hunting. I tended to come unglued when a shot opportunity presented its self in my early bow hunting years.

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2013, 10:56:00 AM »
Several yrs. ago I had a doe feeding at 20 yds. In the process of knocking an arrow I sliced my string in half, my spare was a mile away in the truck.
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©