3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: figured something out today  (Read 252 times)

Offline southernwoody

• Trad Bowhunter
figured something out today
« on: August 06, 2013, 06:57:00 PM »
I finally figured out today that I can only practice 2-3 times a week and remain consistent. Anything more than that and I over think the shot and my technique. I was wondering why I was shooting so bad when I was practicing so much for season. Well my daughter came down and I've only been able to shoot twice a week. I thoughty shooting would deteriorate but it has only improved. Maybe I'm on to something or maybe I'm wrong. Your thoughts and opinions? Also I've been shooting my self bow mostly but picked up my old laminate just cause it looked bored hahaha and im still accurate.
SUA SPONTE
68" viper deluxe long bow 50#@28"
64" hickory self bow 50#@28"
60" pronghorn 3 piece R/D long bow 63#@28"

Offline tradarcher816

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: figured something out today
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 08:23:00 PM »
I think you can definitely shoot too much.  Depending on the amount of time you spend shooting.  The muscles you use to shoot are no different than any other and not enough recovery time can certainly have an effect.
Love God, Love your neighbor.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
I don't think it is a muscle issue but a mental one. I shoot nearly everyday weather permits.  Either you have proper focus or you don't.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 08:41:00 PM »
Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect. Three arrows shot with good form are worth more than three dozen flung haphazardly. Quality not quantity. I find one or two sessions a week more than enough to stay in tune (even though I'd shoot every day if I had time).
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline southernwoody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 09:06:00 PM »
I would love to shoot everyday bit I'm shooting better by doing less. So I guess I'll give it a go for a few weeks and see how it goes. I know I'm more accurate with my laminate bow and carbons but I love my hickory bow with hand made river cane even if its harder to be accurate. The muscles are definitely the issue it must be focus.
SUA SPONTE
68" viper deluxe long bow 50#@28"
64" hickory self bow 50#@28"
60" pronghorn 3 piece R/D long bow 63#@28"

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »
I agree with you in a way. I try to shoot often,but may not shoot as many arrows in a session. I might shoot a few in the morning and a few at night. I find that if I shoot a whole bunch at once I do what you're talking about and start second guessing and doing much worse.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 11:18:00 PM »
Yep, I agree with you on shooting too much.  Most of my practice is in the backyard over my lunch break, but every Thursday night I go to the local range where I warm up, shoot the course and then shoot the bales until its too dark to see.  I almost never shoot on Fridays though because I'm spent physically and I need that day to recover.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 11:46:00 PM »
I usually shoot every day but if my shooting starts getting bad I will back off and shoot less. It has helped me.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 11:48:00 AM »
After years of frustration I came to same conclusion few years ago. I can shoot 2 times a week or even once and be fine. I shoot everyday I usually fall apart.
BUT... If you brake your shooting down and work on certain aspects of your shot., and not just flingin arrows and do close bale work it has positive effects.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Kamu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 12:30:00 PM »
I go through phases I'll shoot a lot and I mean everyday with 100 shoots or more. Then I'll shoot once a week but there is no method to the madness for me I just shoot. I also change it up sometimes im shooting out of a tree stand other times from a knee or just what ever.
US Army Infantryman
OIF,OEF Vet
Praise be to the Lord, My Rock, Who Trains my hands for war, My fingers for battle.
He is my loving God and my fortress, My strong Mold and My Deliverer, My shield, In whom I take refuge, Who subdues peoples under me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©