3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tuning Questions  (Read 343 times)

Offline Training Wheels

• Trad Bowhunter
Tuning Questions
« on: August 07, 2013, 12:44:00 AM »
Ok, so here is my situation. Decided to tune my bow and arrows. cx heritage 350s 125g field point, 65# @28 Jeffery Mity Mag. Draw length is 27.5" RH. started with full length arrows and shot bare shafts down to 29.5 where the left nock seemed to stop occurring. Problem is bare shafts nock up every time and it doesn't seem to matter where my nock point is, worked up right from even to 1" up and didn't ever seem to make any sort of difference. I ended up going 1/2" up and fletched arrows are hitting well and I don't see any porpoising, any ideas? also I decided to screw in one of my brass inserts and brought the total tip up to 250gr without any effect, how could this be?

Offline Training Wheels

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tuning Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 12:48:00 AM »
Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks

Offline basket-rack'89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 01:03:00 AM »
I was having a similar problem with a deathwish longbow.  I kept tension in upper part of my hand while simultaneously squeezing with my pinky and ring finger, creating a "flicking" motion. I was putting so much pressure on the bow that the lower limb was occasionally hitting my leg.  I believe the nock high was caused from the shelf pushing up on the back of the arrow as it left the rest.  The problem was torquing my grip.    Fixed the problem by focusing on keeping a relaxed grip.  

Shoot straight

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 06:54:00 AM »
Are you using two nock points, one below and one above the nock?  It's possible for the nock to slide on the string at release without a bottom nock.  Really no downside to a second nock under the arrow and it eliminates a potential problem.  

This is a very good bare shaft tuning process if you are not using the same one...   acsbows.com/bareshaftplaning

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 07:00:00 AM »
For me the two nocks and changing my hand position on the bow corrected the problem. If the heal of my hand got to fat on the riser, nock was incurable,

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 09:27:00 AM »
Re adding point weight with no apparent affect.  Fairly typical, IMO.  A lot of bows will shoot a range of arrow spines well.  We get too caught up in efforts to find the perfect tune.  Most don't have good enough form to find it.

I agree with the others re two nock points and potentially torquing the string.

Offline Training Wheels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 09:39:00 AM »
I will try the two nocks and certainly pay attention to my grip when I get home. Hopefully this cures it. Thanks a lot, its awesome to be part of such a great forum with so much knowledge!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 11:25:00 AM »
When I have a few inches of nock up or nock left (rightie) at 20 yds it is time to fletch!

Offline M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 11:36:00 AM »
I am in agreement with Bjorn, a little nock high is ok. This is what I have read here in past.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 11:44:00 AM »
Add another nick point below the first with 1/16 gap while your arrow is knocked and report back
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Training Wheels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 09:48:00 AM »
Thanks for the input everyone, nock still a bit high when bareshaft. But they fly like darts when fletched.

Offline BarrBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 06:05:00 PM »
I was going to post a similar problem.

I've been barshaft and fletched tuning my buddies Wes Wallace Royal, 64" 52# @28".  I suggested a dozen 2020's cut to 29" with 125gr points, because I've tuned these to my widow and they fly like absolute darts. Very straight left and right and up and down. Perfect flight with broadheads as well. Shooting from around 15yards.

So I have been trying to do the same with the Royal, and I get extreme nock high! I started with brace 6.5" and nock of 5/8ths.  I moved it down to almost 3/8ths and had some improvement, but still is flying high, and a fletched shaft will show a wobble while straightening out the arrow.  I have increased the brace height to almost 7" as well, with no real improvement in nock high, but now the shafts are showing weak... So I've introduced another problem.  Switched to 100gr points, and that was sorted.

I had this problem with my hill as well.  Heritage 250's with 200gr points fly very well with only very slight nock high.  But put an easton 2020 on there, and it almost hits the target vertically sideways!  I have to twist my brace height up about 8 twists, around 6 7/8ths (shoot the 250s at about 6,1/4).  

I find this problem so strange, as when I tune the widow, I can use either a 250 bare shaft, or a 2020 without changing anything and get almost perfect flight.

I will try the double nock plan as well, it sounds like a great idea.  

Good thread training wheels, I'm stumped and I really want to get my buddies bow to shoot with the 2020's as thats all he has for the bow right now.  Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Barr
_ _ _ _ _ _______________ _  _  _  _  _
64" Black Widow PLX T.D. Cross Grain Graybark 50#@28
68" H.H. Cheetah 58#@28
_ _ _ _ _ _______________ _  _  _  _  _

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 06:20:00 PM »
Redshaft wrote

"Add another nick point below the first with 1/16 gap while your arrow is knocked and report back"

Thanks been using 2 nockpoints for years. I view the slight up and left lean as a positive.   :archer2:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©