3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bare shaft question...  (Read 329 times)

Offline Rigs

• Trad Bowhunter
Bare shaft question...
« on: August 07, 2013, 10:04:00 AM »
Greetings All,

When bare shafting, do you want the arrow a little stiff or right on?  I'm thinking that with a broadhead (bare shafting with field points),it will soften the shaft a wee bit due to length...

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Happy hunting,
Jason
Hunting and Fishing ARE family values!  Lifetime member Traditional Bowhunters of Montana, member of Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bare shaft question...
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 10:45:00 AM »
I am sure you will get varying opinions, but I like to keep mine slightly weak to compensate for the feathers.  Also, for me anyway my shafts with broadheads have a tendancy to fly a bit like they are a wee too stiff if I tune for perfect flight bareshafting.

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 10:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rick Richard:
I am sure you will get varying opinions, but I like to keep mine slightly weak to compensate for the feathers.  Also, for me anyway my shafts with broadheads have a tendancy to fly a bit like they are a wee too stiff if I tune for perfect flight bareshafting.
same here...
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Black Creek Banshee T/D  49#@28
Iron Mountain R/D Longbow  53#@28
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »
I tune them a little weak-leaning left a little-I'm a rightie.

Offline Rigs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 11:32:00 AM »
So...how much is too much?
Hunting and Fishing ARE family values!  Lifetime member Traditional Bowhunters of Montana, member of Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 11:38:00 AM »
Slight weak here too. The reason being most guys will do the perfect form thing when bare shafting. Expanding real good and all that. But when they start flinging arrows. They don't always get full expansion and exact draw length. They feather has little effect for me because I fletch my bare shaft then trim off the feather leaving the quill glued to your arrow. It will also help in determining if you are having contact with quill on the bow shelf.  The main reason is the lack in reaching your full draw length when just flinging arrows around or shot on game. Where I seem guys rush and never get solid anchor are out of position and don't get that full expansion and form perfect.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 11:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rigs:
So...how much is too much?
Very slightly, almost to point you can barley tell
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 04:26:00 PM »
I like my bare shafts right in the same group as my fletched at 25-30 yards.  If I had to choose,   slightly weak (right side of group) and   slightly low (nock high) would be preferable to me than anything showing stiff or nock low (bare grouping above fletched).

I have always had the best broadhead flight with both bare and fletched grouping together.  I understand the idea of leaving them a little weak in case you short draw in a hunting situation, but if you don't short draw you are shooting a weak shaft and I don't think they shoot as well with broadheads as one that is just right...really splitting hairs here though.  As long as you aren't playing with tiny fletching most of us are probably fine with "close enough is close enough"...either way.

Offline SAVIOUR68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 05:14:00 PM »
Rigs IMO if you get all to group together then that is what I look for, which means that the point weight and spine are correct for your set up being a bareshaft or fletched arrow. Don't over think the which is BETTER weak or stiff.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©