3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bare shafting a little today. what do y'all think?  (Read 710 times)

Offline arrowlauncherdj

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bare shafting a little today. what do y'all think?
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2013, 03:18:00 PM »
Post that pic of the 7595 you sent me bro... bet that'll drop a few jaws. Bare shaft = bullzeye

Dave

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »
haha, Dave... stirrin' it up.    :biglaugh:   he's right, though.

7595 cut to 30.5", bare shaft.

20 yards
  [/url] [/IMG]

and at an unknown distance (later paced to 23 yards)
  [/url] [/IMG]
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2013, 03:54:00 PM »
maybe my draw is longer than i thought, but this arrow shot well fletched and unfletched (i stripped them off) at 15, 20, 25 and 30 yards on repeated shots. GT 7595, cut to 30.5", 100 grain insert, and 175 grain field point, three 4" feathers.

i don't know...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#

Offline arrowlauncherdj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2013, 04:11:00 PM »
stir baby stir, naw for real, I think that bow is prolly cut a bit past center and your draw is approaching 29".  And remember at just 7 lb more draw weight on my curve, cut to center, I have to use 125 gr points and mine show a fuzz weak when I bare shaft. I am shooting 60@28 with my draw being bout 28.5".  

Plus, you also stated that the arrow seemed faster than the lighter underspined 5575's, so its prolly recovering much faster making your bow more efficient even with the heavier weight these are giving.

Dave

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2013, 04:13:00 PM »
That's why everybody needs to do their own tuning, there are so many variables that are not accounted for with just bow weight, shaft length, spine, and point weight...mainly us.  Spend some time reading tuning threads and you will see there are trends but certainly no hard and fast rules.  Get your bare shafts grouping with your fletched arrows at 25-30 yards and who cares what the numbers are...and don't be surprised if what works for you doesn't work for somebody else with a similar bow.  

How far from center your bows riser is cut, the material on the shelf and riser, and the shape of your grip all play a part too.  Recommendations, charts, and tune calculators are nothing but starting points in my opinion.  It's one big system...bow, arrow, and the nut holding the string back...      :archer2:

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2013, 04:28:00 PM »
good stuff. and i truly appreciate the input from everybody. i have bowhunted for a lot of years, but only in the last year or two have i really come to appreciate the finer points of shooting -- form, tuning, etc. it has made a huge difference in my shooting too, and i fully expect that to translate into hunting success this year. my confidence is at an all-time high. and i have you TG guys and my shooting/hunting buddies to thank for it!
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2013, 04:43:00 PM »
I guess I've been lucky..all these years and I have never bare shafted in my life. Once I checked and verified my spine was correct, always cut my arrows 1.5" longer than my draw, never had a problem.

All bows I shot were center cut, and the few longbows I shot that were not, I just went weaker in spine, according to everything I could get my hands on and read.

Now I'm talking wood and aluminum. Carbon is a different animal but I learned if your not going to leave them 3" longer to weaken them up, then increase the weight up front considerably. I was fortunate with my AD Trad Lites. Cut them same as my aluminum, added 255 grains up front and they fly like darts.

Just throwing out my 2 cents from an old fashioned bowhunter.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2013, 10:23:00 PM »
You brain adjust real quick, take an arrow that is spined terrible. A 75/95 cut to 28"s out of a 40# bow with 100 grain point shoot it several times. You will start hitting what you are looking at pretty quick as your brains instinct takes over and naturally adjust. Sorry but I see way to many guys shooting arrows designed to be shot out of 80# compounds out of 50# traditional bows, come on think about it. Unless left awfully long or a ton of weight added, they don't work. I give a lot of advice and most of the time I get it right or darn close. I can honestly say for the guys just starting with carbons that claim good flight, add 50-100 grains of point weight and if you thought your flight was good before, most will find it is perfect after doing so. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »
Sorry Dave but you are doing something wrong or just etting lucky as the arrow passes thru the paper. If you are shooting 55/75 at 29.5"s out of a 60# recurve if I read your post correctly, with 125 grain point something is definitely wrong. 99% of the guys I know shooting 60-65# recurves with draws 28-29"s are shooting .400 spine cut to 28.5-30"s with a minimum of 225 up front to as much as 325 grains up front depending on the exact bow and set-up. Not gonna argue, just you wuld be the only one getting perfect flight that I know with that type of bow and arrow combo. Shawn
Shawn

Offline arrowlauncherdj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2013, 11:59:00 PM »
I am shooting 125 gr points on a 100 gr insert= 225 up front. He borrowed my 7595 to test with. His spines well with 275 and my heavier bow 225. Nothin wrong there bro. No compound shooter I know shoots a near 31" arrow and none shoots 200-275 up front either. Spine is relative not absolute... That's why God made different point weights and arrow lengths.

Dave

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2013, 11:34:00 AM »
Funny lots of compound shooters I know are shooting 29" shafts with 225 or so up front, they are learning that weight forward is a great thing for good flight and penetration as well.
Shawn

Offline SAVIOUR68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2013, 01:47:00 PM »
Bow center cut is a main factor in spine selection as much as draw weight and length ultimately PROPER bareshaft tuning will SHOW the results. Now put a broadhead head on your 75/95 to verify correct impact/flight. Your multiple tests/checks  show the proven results. NUFF SAID     :knothead:

Offline arrowlauncherdj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2013, 02:09:00 PM »
What Saviour68 said x2

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2013, 08:43:00 PM »
i know it might go against the general consensus, but that heavy setup sure shot well for me today! i got bored shooting my old ragged out bag target, so i decided to go get the ol' nanny doe from the garage and make things more realistic. this group was 25 yards, sitting in my Huntmore chair. three fletched, three bare shafts, shot in random order (blindly picked out of the quiver).

i think i might have found the right combo.

[/url] [/IMG]
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »
another group, 25 yards. these are GT 7595 Nuges, 30.5", 275 grains up front. with three 4" feathers.

my bow is as described earlier in the thread.

[/url] [/IMG]
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#

Offline arrowlauncherdj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2013, 09:06:00 PM »
Can't get much deader than that bro!

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2013, 10:20:00 PM »
The 75/95 zebra striped nugents spine at 340.
The 75/95 woodgrain spine at 300.
Looking good John. Now foot both ends with a 2216 and you got a tuff hunting arrow.
Tom

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2013, 10:34:00 PM »
that's right, Tom. i forgot about the difference in spine between the Nuges and the trads. that could make a difference for sure.
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#

Offline arrowlauncherdj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2013, 10:58:00 PM »
The camo ones are the same spine as the nuges. Yeah I made sure of that when I ordered from big Jim. These spine the same as the old 6075 basspro shafts.  I think they are the CX terminators, which I can't get anymore.

John and I did talk about that yesterday, so John before you hit up big Jim, check ur cart before u check out... Don't get the trads, get camo or Nuge.

Dave

Offline SAVIOUR68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2013, 07:01:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  I love it when a plan comes together

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©