3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many grains per pound for hunting?  (Read 586 times)

Offline arrowbuster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
How many grains per pound for hunting?
« on: August 07, 2013, 08:48:00 PM »
I am fairly new to traditional hunting. I want to know why 10 grains per pound is the accepted weight. The reason I am asking is because with carbon arrows you just about have to put 300 grains up front to get that if you are shooting a 60 pound bow. How hard is it on a well made bow to shoot 8 gpp? Just want to know everyones thoughts on this.
AH ACS CX 60" 53@28
PITTSLEY PREDATOR 60" 56@28
CASCADE BRUSH HAWK 56" 49@28

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: How many grains per pound for hunting?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »
GPP doesn't mean much for hunting, IMO. Should be thinking of an arrow weight that's sufficient for the critter you're after.  Now at 8 gpp, you'll have a 480 grain arrow, which is plenty for most medium size critters.  However, it is getting a bit light for your bow.

The lighter the arrow, the closer you get to dry firing the bow.  Doesn't make any difference whether you're hunting or target shooting.  Go too light, and your bow is increasingly likely to fail.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 09:13:00 PM »
Quote - "How hard is it on a well made bow to shoot 8 gpp?"

The bowyer who built the bow should be the most reliable source to answer this.

Note: Some bows are not warrantied down to 8gpp.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 09:16:00 PM »
GPP is relatively low on my worry list. I shoot woodies and have found that by the time I get them tuned up and performing well they are heavy enough to do the job.

I certainly am not a tinkerer or a techie and just don't feel the need to get into too many details. If the arrow is relatively heavy and shoots good, I stop at that point and hunt. Granted, I mostly hunt whitetails so extreme arrow performance is not a necessity. Now if I hunted elk, bear and some of the other big stuff, another approach might be called for.
Sam

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 09:26:00 PM »
I shoot 250gr up front on my carbons (100gr brass insert and 150gr point/broadhead). The extra weight up on the front end of the carbon arrow increases the front-of-center and is a great thing to have.

To answer your question, I donot know where the 10gpp rule of thumb came from. I do know that 10gpp makes a great hunting arrow, esp for lighter weight bows. I try to get around 10gpp but correct tuning is most important. When I get the tune correct, if I am at 9gpp or 11gpp, it does not matter.

I do agree with the comment above that I would check with the bowyer and see what he says about how low you should go with his bow.

Bisch

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 09:40:00 PM »
Shoot a carbon geared towards trad shooters like the CX heritage 250 or 350. 8 grains per a pound is acceptable for most bows.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 10:50:00 PM »
One of the reasons to get up there at that amount is it will quiet down the bow. Heavier the arrow, the more energy it absorbs and more energy that is absorbed, the less energy there is available to make noise. One of the ways to get your arrow weight is to get an arrow with a wrap on it, like the GT Traditionals or CX Heritage to name just a few of what's available. CX Heritage are some of the heaviest per inch and some of the toughest arrows available and will definitely get you up in the 10gpp range with ease.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline dad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 10:53:00 PM »
I remember someone asked Fred Bear what he liked for GPI and his reply was around 10.

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 11:04:00 PM »
I know folks who hunt and KILL regularly with less than eight gpp.  I shoot 9 gpp for whitetails and similar.  My bowyer does not honor the warranty if shooting less than 8 gpp.

A good tuned arrow, sharp broadhead, and sufficient KE will kill 'em.
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 12:41:00 AM »
I shoot doug fir and cedar from my 50# bows so it is hard to get under 12 GPP, which is great for hunting but 3D can be a bit tough.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 07:31:00 AM »
I'm right around 12.5 GPP with MFX 400's and Tree Sharks.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 11:16:00 AM »
If you shoot the Heavy Hunter carbons it is easy to get 600 grains with less than 200 grains of point weight...I opt for Easton Full Metal Jackets with 200 grains for a total weight of 600 grains with my 60 pound bows...who says we have to stick with carbon fibre arrows...there are other choices...this year I am going to be doing most of my hunting with 2317 aluminums what weigh 500 grains before I put a pointy thing on the front end..for 3D I shoot 480 grain arrow all the time out of two of my 60 pound bows...both the bowyers have told me their bows ought to be fine down to 7 gpp...no warranty anyway since I was not the original owner in either case

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline arrowbuster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 12:14:00 PM »
I was thinking about some woodies or aluminums. I just never had a problem getting the weight before because most of my bows weigh in around 50 pounds. Getting 10 gpp is easy with that weight. I am moving up some in poundage is why I have run into issues getting my arrow weight. I was just curious how most of you do it.
AH ACS CX 60" 53@28
PITTSLEY PREDATOR 60" 56@28
CASCADE BRUSH HAWK 56" 49@28

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 03:24:00 PM »
I like 9-10 grains per pound for the reasons stated above... quietness, and a good sound hunting arrow...

I do sneak down to 8 - 8.5 gpp for quick critters (Texas deer for one...) to get me a little edge and hopefully the critter hasn't moved as much between the time I drop the string and the arrow gets there...
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 03:29:00 PM »
I have killed with anything from 7.5-12 gpp. I usually shoot right around 9 gpp. for most any critter. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 04:25:00 PM »
My arrows are in the 10-11 gpp. range depending on the bow.  I like a quiet bow and a relatively heavy arrow helps a lot in that area.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 04:44:00 PM »
8-10 gpp and you will be fine. Some bowyers won't warranty a bow if you shoot less.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 08:39:00 PM »
I'm happy with a well tuned arrow anywhere between 9-12.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2013, 09:22:00 PM »
I shoot mostly around 50 lbs. and  cedar arrows. 9 To 11 gpp is about perfect for anything up to and including Black Bear.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Stumpknocker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2013, 04:18:00 PM »
I'd say a well tuned arrow is more important than exact gpp, within reason of course.  

I think 8 gpp would make my bows much louder than I would prefer, and also looks to be on the light end of what most experienced hunters here have posted.  Over the long haul that light of an arrow may be tougher on your, bow, which matters to mes, also.  

My personal favorite is GT 5575's that come in at 9 gpp with my setup.  Next in my inventory would be Easton 2117's at 10, then 2216's at 11.  Not saying you should do the same, but this is where I have wound up with my inventory of arrows and bare shaft and paper tuning for my rigs.
Let's go to the woods and learn things about life (Penelope, age 4, to me).  

plx osage 62" 56@28
sax bocote 60" 54@28
Morrison Shawnee 56" 56@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©