3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: do you share?  (Read 1312 times)

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
do you share?
« on: August 08, 2013, 04:33:00 PM »
This is an ethics question. If you go hunting with a partner, do you share?
It has been my practice to share common expenses, like fuel costs, and if not everyone is successful, to offer to share some meat. At least to make the offer to even things up.

I just had a hunt where I supplied the boat and fuel (about $200 of gas), helped butcher and carry out game for two days across a mountain (we were hunting mountain goats, spent three nights out in remote country), and was left with no offer of any meat or gas money. The game bag was taken from my pack when we got back to town, and put into his vehicle.
We went to a spot I knew about and have taken goats before. It was his first goat hunt, so I supplied a lot of info to set things up.
This was a new hunting partner, and we did not discuss details beforehand or since; just curious if this would be outside usual practice with your partners?
Do you specifically talk about it beforehand? I guess I have always just tried not to get too businesslike with friends, just trust everyone to be fair.. Maybe this stuff just happens to tell us who our friends really are?  Feel sort of petty to complain, but I wonder if others address this with a more head on approach.  

What do you do?

Offline juneaulongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Fannin Texas
Re: do you share?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 04:36:00 PM »
When I lived in Alaska and had roommates we shared all game and fish, gas and other costs. My friends and I share now too but just a package of sausage here and there.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 04:38:00 PM »
Absolutely, And so do the people I go with... Weird scenario if someone does not.  Ive had people offer up entire animals!  I Partnered up with a guy who shot an elk on the first morning of our hunt, Needless to say the next 3 days were spent packing out, he gave me 1/2 of everything.. Pretty typical I think

Offline jjwaldman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 04:38:00 PM »
Sheesh, he should have at least split the basic expenses.  I would have wanted to pay for more since it was your equipment and hunting spot.  Just my opinion though...

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 04:38:00 PM »
I always split the cost if it's more than a day trip.....gas, groceries, tolls ...whatever. The guys I go with are always ready to share expenses. Most times it's brought up when making plans.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »
That ain't right, and I don't think you should have to discuss it, sharing should be automatic, with you paying the smaller share  because  you  used  your boat.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 04:43:00 PM »
Most definitely. We have an understanding with the guys I hunt with someone puts an animal down who ever helps pack it out gets a share.

If we rent a horse (done that a couple times) everyone shares the cost.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 04:47:00 PM »
I share and I swap-if I can't get out, but somebody uses my equipment (I have a few friends I do trust with my gear) we split what gets killed.  If I can't give money I'll make arrows, etc. to make sure they feel like everything was equal.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 04:47:00 PM »
I took a guy to eastern Oregon on an elk hunt, Called in a bunch of bulls for him , He finally shot one and got it way too far back. We literally tracked it up and down a canyon all day long. Would bust him and he would go to the top. Then work back down. My son killed him after about 7 or eight hours of this with a very long shot as he was crossing a fence. We then packed the bull out for him.   No thanks, No meat , nothing. Loaded his bull and left. Next year he was in our spot. We promptly found another place to hunt and have never talked to him since.
Personally I share and I don't need those kind of people in my life.
I hate to be this way but I have become very choosy about who I hunt with.  

God bless, Steve

Offline black velvet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 04:49:00 PM »
All the partners I hunt with share everything equal. Most times giving a little extra to the driver for wear and tear on the vehicle.
or if there is special equipment needed.

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 04:51:00 PM »
We are the same way, everyone kicks in for their share or at least what they can.If someone does not have much to throw in, then they say so and they make up for it the next trip.I dont like to keep good track of it, i like friends that i dont have to count the change. In fact, if one guy drives and puts gas in, the chances are more than good that the other guys end up handing him MORE than the gas cost. I hope your friend catches on or that you find friends that do you right. There is nothing like hunting buddies that are fun to be with,take care of each other and share what they can.I have noticed in the past that the guys that have the most money are the ones that tend to contribute the least.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 05:27:00 PM »
My deer campmates and I already layed out the expectations.  Don't hold a grudge if you don't discuss it. We often take for granted that others will instinctively know the unwritten guidelines for gentleman hunters.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 05:28:00 PM »
That ain't right, and I don't think you should have to discuss it, sharing should be automatic, with you paying the smaller share  because  you  used  your  boat !
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 05:31:00 PM »
Sharing expenses is always understood with the guys I hunt with.
If one person supplies the vehicle, or gear, I like to pay for the gas etc. It only seems fair.
Ken Thornhill

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 05:31:00 PM »
The guy sounds like someone I took a trip with once in Colorado. Once...

I like hunting with the guys that don't have to be "reminded" to chip in.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline yukon chuck

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 05:43:00 PM »
All the guys I hunt and fish with and for that matter, enjoyed dinners and stuff with have always just "whacked up" the expenses for whatever we have shared together. Sometimes a little more from me, sometimes a little less from me, but it always evens out. If we are doing something where it is apparent that one of us will be purchasing or doing something that would be out of the norm, then that person just automatically takes care of that portion that is extraordinary. Bottom line, good hunting and fishing buddies are hard to find. Good old fashioned manners seem to be getting harder to come by these days.
>>>--TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Longbow Association
Yucketsville Buffalo & Cricket Association

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle". -Plato

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 05:49:00 PM »
Walter,

Living up here also I have had the full gamut of experiences.  From giving me entire animals to offering nothing in return for the local knowledge, equipment or fuel cost.  On new folks that I encounter, some even from this site, I don't hesitate in laying out a full list of expenditures and what is expected.  It seperates the wheat from the chaff.  I have had some jaw dropping encounters and can't even fathom bearing that kind of karma.  Some folks can live with that kind of greed.  Not me.  Whenever game is harvested in my party everyone involved is going home with meat.  

Bottom line.

~CB
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 05:51:00 PM »
Lucky to have my brothers and Dad as my hunting buddies.  Every trip whether its deer close to home, or after elk it's all for one, one for all.  We throw money into a kitty for food.  We take turns filling up the truck with gas.  All guys stop hunting to pack an animal out, and the animal gets split 4 ways.  We make mental notes each season of who's "due" for a shot at a nice buck and offer the best stand.  I feel very blessed for having those guys because I know that not everyone has that.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline tradarcher816

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2013, 05:58:00 PM »
I've shared camp with guys before that didn't share the meat.  But I've never shared camp with folks that wouldn't split the expenses and chores around camp.
Love God, Love your neighbor.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 06:07:00 PM »
You should always discuss that type of stuff up front, especially with a new partner.
John

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©