3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: do you share?  (Read 1314 times)

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: do you share?
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2013, 06:07:00 PM »
That would be the last time he hunted with me !
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2013, 06:10:00 PM »
Boznarras:  Your friend isn't a friend or a decent hunting partner.  And, like Sixby experienced, I'd bet you'll find him hunting your area the next time you go there.  Selfish boors like that we don't need.  I'd certainly never hunt with him again.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2013, 07:04:00 PM »
I only hunt with three people. One has a family so I would never take meat from him if the opportunity. The second is my best friend who is single, and doesn't know how to cook so he usually gives me what he gets in return for the experience and nice grilled steak afterwards. The third is my Papa and that is all that gets eaten at our house so if either one gets a deer we both get to eat! Expenses get split for sure though without question and in a situation such as an elk hunt or something with someone new I would certainly be sure beforehand of their intentions and let them know mine as well. It is sad that someone could be so selfish though to ruin the comradery and not share in the spoils. It is better to give than to receive.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2013, 07:14:00 PM »
In our camp everything is split.  Before we even leave home or at least at the first gas stop everyone chips in a couple hundred to the camp bank bag.  Everything that gets spent on the trip comes out of that bag..........gas, road meals, grocery food, meat freezing, etc. - everything.  When an animal goes down, everyone chips in to get it back to camp and butchered and all meat is split equally when we get back.  When we get back the truck owners get an extra share for the use of the vehicle.  It really is the only way.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2013, 07:14:00 PM »
i have had hunting partners from both extremes, some wouldn't contribute anything to those who tried paying for everything.  I try not to keep a score card, prefering those that carry their own weight and expect me to carry mine.

The exception is when taking young hunters and college students out.  I insist on footing the bill for them.  I didn't big game hunt while in college, but do remember how hard it was to come up with the gas money to get to my favorite pheasant spots and most productive fly fishing streams.  Numerous times somebody at the fly shop hauled me to either Hat or Cache  Creek in northern CA and insisted on paying (though they probably thought they were getting a cheap guide).  Just my way of paying them back.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2013, 07:21:00 PM »
I may or may not share the meat half and half, but I will offer SOME, however expenses are split and sometimes more than split if we use their equipment.

Real friends probably shouldn't need to discuss this, but new partners probably should so there are no surprises.

ChuckC

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2013, 07:26:00 PM »
Chalk it up to experience, albeit not a nice one for you.  I personally would not have anything to do with this person again.  Basic, common decency would be to split everything.  It is obvious that this gent lacks that quality.  I would distance myself from him.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2013, 07:28:00 PM »
Always do my fair share and more.  Not only financially, but chores around camp too.  It's just the right thing to do.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2013, 07:35:00 PM »
We always share expense! It's kinda part of being an adult, least that's what dad taught me...
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2013, 07:39:00 PM »
Thanks for bringing this up, Walter.  While we would hope that everyone would share without having to say so, experiences like yours show that isn't always the case.  I hope I remember your experience when I take any kind of a trip with someone I don't know very well in the future, unless I plan to pay all the expenses myself anyway, and don't care about other things like sharing the game.  A few words up front can be an awkward thing to have to do, but not as awkward as what you had to go through.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2013, 07:39:00 PM »
I always share expenses. If only one animal is taken we also offer to share the beast.

I only hunt with very close friends or relatives. I would never want them to carry more of any part of the load (financial or chores) than me.

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2013, 07:40:00 PM »
I agree with Al. Learning experience!!  All things considered pretty cheap to find out the real person behind the face!!  Move on and find better buddies. Someone like that just doesn't get it and probably never will. Would be interesting to hear his argument if you did ask for gas $$, etc.  In my experience probably something along the lines of "well I figured you were going hunting anyway so why should I pay for gas you would have used anyway" ha ha.   Unless this guy is really young I wouldn't even bother with any explanation. You can find better... Maybe even right around here!!
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline jrbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2013, 09:01:00 PM »
Go to A trad shoot and see how many pans of left-overs come around in the evening from different camps, I'd say the community in general shares.
SAVE A STUMP SHOOT A DEER

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
My hunting partners and I share everything. If we go on a long distance hunt for game not usually hunted by us (like elk or moose) we share the meat between everyone. If we are deer hunting there is no need to share the meat but it is always offered.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2013, 09:25:00 PM »
Fool me once shame on you,Fool me twice shame on me.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
maybe he will showup with a box of properly butchered and frozen meat and an envelope with cash in it and a big smile and a firm handshake and say( thanks for taking me to your spot, would love to go again sometime)....hopefully huh!

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2013, 10:10:00 PM »
If the guy is new to this he might not know he should help out. He may have literally thought you were taking him on a hunt. While my upbringing would prevent me from such a mishap you never know how others you meet will see it. If he is not new to this sport then I agree the guy is a shmuck and took advantage of you and would not be invited back. I think it should always be a part of the planning discussion to make sure everyone understands these details so no hard feelings later. People do strange things over money. Had friend try to stiff me over some tournament winnings because he caught the winning fish. But I put the net under it and we were in my boat, pulled by my truck and pre planning agreement was if we won anything it was to be split 50/50. I held him to it but it caused some hard feelings.
Member NCBA

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2013, 10:14:00 PM »
If it was a new hunting partner to me, I think I would have discussed how we were going to split things up.

If I was "the guy" I would probably would have been asking to pay for all your gas for all the help you provided to me in a successful hunt!

Bisch

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2013, 10:22:00 PM »
I would not hunt with him again and wouldn't call him friend.

If he is young, I would talk with him and give a break.

Everyone I hunt with shares expenses and at least offers some meat.  especially if it was a hunt where you wouldn't expect more than 1 animal killed.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2013, 10:24:00 PM »
Wether the guy us new or not it's unacceptable, I have gone on vacations with friends that don't hunt and it's split into even shares, guy needs to man up and not be a free loader, it's down right rude and inconsiderate! I am so sorry that thus happened to you, FYI  I know a guy that would be more than willing to help out and foot the bill on an Alaska hunt  :D !
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©