3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: do you share?  (Read 1310 times)

Offline MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: do you share?
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2013, 10:46:00 PM »
Absolutely, we share costs and meat taken.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline el greco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2013, 10:51:00 PM »
There is a saying in Greece where I grew up.I will try to translate it.It goes something like "good explanations make good friends".
The dude you went hunting sounds like an as****
From my cold,dead hands..

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2013, 12:05:00 AM »
Thanks for all the input.
I agree that I should learn from this. Also I am gratified to know that what I was expecting is  usual and customary, that is, to share the costs and the harvest.
It occurs to me that with a new acquaintance, I feel most awkward discussing a potentially confrontational subject beforehand, fearing it would be misunderstood or would somehow taint the new relationship, but these new partnerships are exactly the ones that need it all spelled out in black and white. You really don't need to do this with your old friends.
I also wonder if age difference plays a part. I am 59 years old, about the same age as this guy's parents. Maybe I get dealt with a little different than his usual buddies.
I do have a long time partner that can still go deer hunting, but he had to give up this goat thing, his knees won't take it anymore. With deer, we usually each get one and pack his own, and just take turns on whose boat is used for separate trips for fishing and hunting, figure it works out close enough.

I won't have the time to do another goat hunt this year. God (and running program) willing, I do plan to go next year, maybe to this same spot, but will probably try to 1. go opening day and 2. take a different partner and spell it out somehow beforehand. I have gone goat hunting alone, but the steep cliffs etc are not good places to be without anyone to help in case of some mishap.
This year I saw three nannies with kids, one with twins, plus two possible billies that I could not get to. The critters are there. Next year may be my turn again.
I do like the scenario where he is going to show up with wrapped meat, and a cash donation, I have been thinking about that one. But I don't think I want to ask for it, just too much of a confrontation to come away with anything worth saving.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2013, 12:13:00 AM »
Share, understood. Split everything.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2013, 06:46:00 AM »
I have hunted with guys like that in the past but not anymore and those were quickly eliminated from my hunting buds. I only hunt local now and there are no expenses to share. I do have a 3 bedroom hunting lodge and invite guests and family from time to time. If they want to help with the food, great, but if not no biggie. We have always offered to share any game taken.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2013, 07:32:00 AM »
Always share everything, across the board. Unless otherwise agreed too before hand.
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2013, 11:40:00 AM »
If I was richer and healthier, I would pay for everything to have a friend take me goat hunting in Alaska.  The experience and a couple of pounds of meat would be a good repayment.  My wife has informed me that I have given away my last bow, a really nice Hill Razorback.  Everyone I hunt with, as she reminded, are hunting with stuff I have given away or are using trailers, carts and stands that I have purchased. But then I reminded her of all that we have gotten in return. By sharing my stuff, they have all shared back. I almost hate to admit it, but I am way ahead on the deal and I am getting behind.  Funny how that sharing thing works.

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2013, 11:40:00 AM »
I have been lucky I guess... It has always been a given that we share, the money topic never comes up.

If some one started taking advantage of a good thing, the good thing would end sooner than later.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2013, 11:52:00 AM »
I think Id already know a person well enough before planning a trip with someone. If they werent the "pull their own weight" type I wouldnt associate more than casually to begin with. If a man is down on his money thats a whole nuther story and Id be glad to treat at my expense.

The worst type are the ones always whining how they wish they could do this and that but are broke and the next time you see them theyre toting a new bow. Ive seen this type of thing 1st hand.

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2013, 12:19:00 PM »
I can't agree enough with what everyone on this thread has to say. This is because you guys are REAL sportsmen. I have had this stuff happen to me more times than I care to remember. When I had a good rabbitt dog I can remember having to go way up north to hunt snowshoes, and at the end of the day I was offered some uncleaned game as to clear their consence. I think this topic should be added to the hunter safety program so the new hunters can turn out to be REAL sportsmen and women. This is absolutly the perfect topic to bring up at the beginning of the hunting year.

Offline DayTripper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2013, 01:24:00 PM »
Evidently, common sense isn't so common anymore.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »
Back in the 1980's I hunted with some co-workers/friends. We left Indiana for a hunt in WY.

Everything worked great.  We each put a couple hundred in the kitty to buy gas and food. When the pot was empty we all put in an equal amount again. Remaining funds were equally divided.

We also shared work around camp.

Worked fine.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2013, 07:02:00 PM »
You take me on a hunt like that I'd be paying for everything and would be very thankful for it.  You basically served as a guide, least he could do really.

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2013, 09:59:00 PM »
I have had a hunting friend hunt with me at my place for a couple years and not ever pay for a thing.
I would drive, pay gas, tolls, heat,  stop at shop rite and pick up what we needed.
Never did he pay.
I once even said from my frustration while at the cashier that he should be paying this one time. He didn't even put his hand in his pocket!

These types usually think their Gods gift and bounce from person to person.
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »
Hunting and golf, 2 sports where people's true personalities show up real quick.
Been disappointed in people I thought were good folks more than once.

Offline krink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2013, 02:30:00 AM »
Im a little different.  I hunt with my dad.  He pays for everything.  I do not make the most money and he knows that.  I make sure I have the gear I need but he floats the gas bill, stands, lease, seed for food plots, ect.  I know he would never ask me to pay for anything.

BUT what I do to help repay him is do as much grunt work as I can.  He does not set stands.  He does not pull ground blinds let alone ones that have hornets nests in them.  He does not field dress animals.  He does not clean out the truck.  I repay him by working hard for him.  Repayment isn't always in the form of a green piece of paper.  I do what I can to earn my share.  I have hunted with guys who did not and it is frustrating.
The raising of that flag on Suribachi means a Marine Corps for the next five hundred years.
---James Forrestal

Sticks and stones will break some bones and feed my family this winter.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2013, 02:57:00 AM »
We always split up the meat. If I go in someone else's truck and there's only two of us I pay for half the gas and throw in some more for truck wear and tear. If I take someone and they don't share or pay they never get invited to go again.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2013, 03:21:00 AM »
Two of you? It should have been 50/50
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2013, 12:27:00 PM »
krink, your a good guy. Most of the time (at least with me) what you do is more apreciated than money. Also as for cahaba, it sounds like you consider oil change, brake and tire wear, and truck wash.

Offline tex-archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2013, 12:30:00 PM »
I don't discuss it with my hunting partner, we just split everything. Its not always a 50/50 split exactly but we don't expect just one of us to foot the bill for everything. And if just one of us gets something we split that too.
Aim small, miss small!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©