3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: do you share?  (Read 1311 times)

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: do you share?
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2013, 05:23:00 PM »
The group I hunt with (mostly family) always shares. On the caribou hunt I went on we split the food and gas money. As for the meat, we split that equally as well - which worked out for me, as everyone but me got 2 caribou and I got none! I called the meat I got my charity caribou, or 'charibou'.

With deer hunting we split costs when they come up. We split the meat as well, but it's understood that the person who shot the animal gets the best cuts of meat.

Hunting is a collective endeavour. People should contribute what they can and share appropriately.

Offline Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2013, 01:21:00 AM »
Totally foreign to me that someone would think that they wouldn't pay their fair share.  I feel like I'm a pretty good judge of character and think more than likely someone like that would have never ended up going on the trip to begin with.  Myself, I would be horrified if someone ever thought I wasn't doing my fair share, so I tend to go a little overboard making sure there's no doubt.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2013, 05:23:00 AM »
Not everyone is brought up "right." Things like this "shouldn't" hafta be talked about, but I've never had it hurt a friendship when one of us mentioned these kind of things, either before or after the fact. But most of the people I hang out with are not very sensitive. Lol. However, I would want someone to let me know if they thought I didn't contribute.
 As far as past experiences, I have not yet been the "successful" one so I haven't had the opportunity to share, but my buddies have shared plenty with me. I usually like to help with the cleaning/skinning though. I even got half a deer from a friend once, that I went to help pack out a deer he shot & then he almost cut his thumb off while finishing up the job. Since I took him to the hospital, my share of the meat went up some. LOL.

Offline jean-vincent

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2013, 03:30:00 PM »
same here in france , it's a hunting habit to share everything .. where a team of 8/10 hunter , one of us as 5 dogs , now and then whe buy it a 25kg bag of dogfood .. is dogs are hunting for all of us , whe share de veterinary fee when there is some , same thing for the bar , lol lol .. and for the game we hunt , we cut it by the middle , and 2 of us take a half  and so on ...
we even keep a few piece , that we give to the owner of the land where hunting on .. and one or two animals we give to the elderly house where the oldest of our village retire .thats make them a nice christmas /new year  diner
but i things our hunting habit are not the same as in your country ..
jack of all trades , master of none !!
 http://lames-de-jv.e-monsite.com/

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2013, 04:23:00 PM »
Update: It keeps getting better, or at least I found out I am not the only one getting the short end.
Before our hunt, we took a ride with a friend in his personal plane, just to scout the mountains we were considering lest we do the 7 or 8 hour climb up a mountain with no goats. He took us to three areas, all of which I have successfully hunted before, and we did spot a goat from the air on the mountain that we then climbed the next day.
Since he is not a commercial pilot, our flying friend just asked for a contribution to his fuel bill. I had cash in pocket and promptly gave him $150. My hunting partner had no money, but said he would go to the fuel distributor and put some money on the pilot's account.
I checked today and the fuel sales people never got anything. I called the pilot and gave a report on our hunt, thanked him again, offered more money, which he declined. I also asked if he liked goat meat, he said he had never tried it.
So today, I am buying my "partner" a cup of coffee and having a talk....

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2013, 04:49:00 PM »
Yes, we always split up everything in a very informal way.  Then again, I only hunt with my father-in-law and one of my two best friends.  We don't really keep tabs and go out of the way to make sure it's even so much as we like to share the wealth with those who share in on the adventure.  We would never allow a single person to absorb the entire costs of everything and then go home meatless.  That is just not cool.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2013, 08:20:00 PM »
Sharing expenses should never even need to be discussed - its just something you do without being asked. Same goes for sharing the meat, especially when one person does so much extra work to help the other guy have a successful hunt. I am not surprised, though, to hear about the lack of consideration some have mentioned. Unfortunately, many people are just not raised  on manners and lessons in ethics. I would not continue to hunt with these guys either.
Sam

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2013, 10:12:00 PM »
He quickly would become my "ex hunting partner". Life is too short to hunt with cheapskates.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2013, 10:40:00 PM »
We had a talk, and I am glad. I asked him what he thought I wanted to talk about, and he came right to it first try. Said he had been thinking about it and wanted to pay half the gas and give me half the meat.
We even got to talk about taking care of our pilot and not telling everybody where the spot is, etc. A good talk.
So not only is it good to discuss this stuff before the hunt, it is good to sort it out afterwards too.
Thanks for the support, it helped me feel justified in pushing the issue.   :)

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2013, 11:11:00 PM »
i'd get a new friend.
Make a life, not a living

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2013, 11:44:00 PM »
Did he pay you guide fees? If not you got taken bad. My hunting partner and I split game 50-50, if we go on a trip where we travel more any amount of miles I pay my share of gas. I had the same thing happen to me when I lived back east. One of my hunting partners got a deer and I got 2 chops out of the deal. I hope you tell him to find another sucker to hunt with next year...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2013, 07:04:00 AM »
Originally posted by boznarras:
We had a talk, and I am glad. I asked him what he thought I wanted to talk about, and he came right to it first try. Said he had been thinking about it and wanted to pay half the gas and give me half the meat.
We even got to talk about taking care of our pilot and not telling everybody where the spot is, etc. A good talk.
So not only is it good to discuss this stuff before the hunt, it is good to sort it out afterwards too.
Thanks for the support, it helped me feel justified in pushing the issue.    :)  
I'm glad he decided to do the right thing after you spoke with him. If it were me, I would avoid hunting with him in the future. It sounds like he has some integrity issues with a dose of selfishness sprinkled in!

« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2013, 08:30:00 AM »
glad you got it settled,  maybe he will turn out to be a good hunting buddie.    :thumbsup:
 hes lucky to have someone with knowledge and resources to lead him on some great hunts.

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2013, 01:04:00 PM »
We all like a happy ending.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2013, 01:20:00 PM »
Yes!  by all means share.. I think you need new friends!
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline TraditionalGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2013, 01:29:00 PM »
Good happy ending. I had some great experiences growing up and was taught by my father the unwritten rules of hunting with partners. I later had a couple of not so good incidents with other partners that did not adhere to the rules. When I move to California, it took me 8 years to find new hunting partners. I basically had to start them from scratch in both hunting and archery. Just to make sure, I also instructed them on these unwritten rules, which they would not have know had I not informed them. Now all we need to do is have one of us get something to share.
“For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.”
H. L. Mencken

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2013, 01:34:00 PM »
Lets see you took me to your hunting spot, in your boat, shared info about the area, helped me carry out the game. You would not have paid a dollar for gas let alone half and took home half the meat.

I always give the benefit of the doubt to someone, i don't know your friend or how long you have known him or how long he has been hunting, maybe he has not yet been exposed to the way most hunters react in this situation.

Just read that all came out good.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
Heck yea we share! Always have always will and if one of our hunting partners can't afford to go we make sure they can because the adventure wouldn't be the same without them!
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2013, 09:59:00 PM »
But then again I have hunted with the same people for the past 30 some years. Glad to hear it had a good ending.
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline TraditionalGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2013, 06:05:00 PM »
Here's a question that just popped up. If your hunting partner runs over a rock and cracks an oil pan, are you obligated to help pay for the repairs?
“For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.”
H. L. Mencken

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©