3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Update on female newbie..  (Read 808 times)

Offline hntngrl

• Trad Bowhunter
Update on female newbie..
« on: August 08, 2013, 06:01:00 PM »
Hi guys,

First of all, big thanks to pamike and Jon Stewart! They each sent me a few arrows to test out (one sent carbons and one sent aluminums so I could see how each worked for me). It was very generous of them to send me the arrows at no charge and I really appreciate it!!

I got my Omega longbow in the mail the same day as the arrows (perfect timing, huh?). It's 62" long, 40lbs @ 28" (I draw about 25"). I've been busy with school but finally got out to shoot the bow yesterday evening.

The first impression I had while shooting is...I suck!!! I haven't figured out how to aim yet. My left and right is usually pretty close but I almost always hit high...and not just a little bit, but 8-10" or more. But I have no consistency. Sometimes I hit where I want to but most of the time its not even close!! No group to speak of either...

As for the arrows, I couldn't really tell if any of them were better than the others. On the .600 spine carbons, it flew pretty straight with a 200g point on the end. It seemed like if I really focused on my release, all the arrows flew straight. And if I knew I had a bad release my left/right was off (arrows usually hitting to the left of where I was aiming, it seemed like).

In case you were wondering, the arrows I were trying were:
GT Traditional 1535
Easton Axis 500 spine
Aluminum 1716
Aluminum 1816

Like I said (and you all told me!), I couldn't really notice a big difference between the arrows because my form is pretty terrible. I need to get a smaller shooting glove because my fingers keep slipping out of the leather, so I'm sure that isn't helping. Also, we had to put on the nock point and I think we have it figured out.

One question is: is the string supposed to have twists in it like a compound string? My string doesn't seem to have twists? Or maybe it came untwisted? I unstring the bow when I'm not using it with the stringer that was recommended by the bowyer.

Any advice you can give me would be great! Maybe I will take some pics to post later   :)

Offline dcmeckel

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Update on female newbie..
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 06:16:00 PM »
I would recommend you find a KNOWLEDGEABLE trad person near you. It is a lot easier to develop good shooting habits that it is to correct bad ones. Let them show you how to set your bow up properly. And then PRACTICE.
David

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 06:21:00 PM »
If your string is served on the ends it is an endless loop and will have much fewer twists.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 07:10:00 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much about aiming right now, much more important to develop good repeatable form first.

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 08:12:00 PM »
Glad the arrows made it. Please tell me I sent a 600 axis and not a 500 axis????  600 axis should fly good enough to get you started. Don't get caught up on the arrow flight too much yet. Worry about your form. There are plenty of references on shooting forum or masters of bare bow videos. Assuming u can't find a local mentor. My form improved greatly after a local TG'er gave me some pointers ( thanks Tim!!). And then I called Joel turner (clickerman) and all the pieces came together.

Mike
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »
Great News about the bow and arrows.  Things will get better. there is sound advice listed here.  This site is exceptional for helping people improve.

Hope you can find someone close to help you out, often little things can make huge differences.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline hntngrl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
Oops, yes, I meant 600 and not 500 for the axis arrow! And that seems to be the one that flies the best. Though the 1716 aluminum ones work decent too. The 1816's seem to always hit to the left. And it seems like often the tails of the arrows are angled to the left, at least with the aluminums. The carbons are usually straight unless my form is bad. I am getting a little better. I hit the white center a few times! I got a new glove that fits better and I think it helps! I've got some photos and a video uploading  :)

Offline Butternutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 09:04:00 PM »
Form first,accuracy second. Try using a tab,you will get a consistent and cleaner release plus the tab may help your form.I have been using a glove for over 20 years and just started using a tab and my accuracy and groups have gotten a lot better. Stick with it and good luck    :archer2:
Blackwidow PSA 60"46@28
Toelke Whip 60"44@28
Toelke Classic 58"41@28
Blackwidow PTF V 58"51@28
=})})}=LAWMAN=>

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 09:05:00 PM »
Like PAMIKE mentioned...invest in the Masters of the Barebow series!!!  You will return to watch those DVD's time and time again and each time you will pick something up!!!   Just do it.  Ha ha. Good luck.
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline hntngrl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »
Here are the pics! The video won't upload for some reason....

Me with the bow

The bow

First time shooting

From above..you can see what I mean about the tails pointing left.

Getting a little better...Two in the white and one close!!

The video was of me shooting one arrow but I can't get it to work, sorry!

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »
Nice to see women in the sport. Good luck and stick with it. In prior days there were many women in the sport.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 09:19:00 PM »
nice shooting. the accuracy will come. i like the skins on that bow too!
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline hntngrl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 09:29:00 PM »
Thank you! It's not actually a skin but just some cloth with a rattlesnake pattern. My husband's is copperhead. I can get a pic of it if you like.

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »
Great to have you on.
The thing that helps for accuracy is to place a SMALL dot to concentrate on. Look at the dot and burn a hole in it.
Aim small miss small.
Have fun with the new sport.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 09:38:00 PM »
Oh, well they look real good anyhow. start close and work on your form before trying to move back and actually shoot for groups. get on you tube and look up jimmyblackmon and moe1 something.. they have excellent! videos on there pages! watch them and you can learn allot. trust me work on form and proper techniques and you will get off on the right foot and avoid problems down the road.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 10:02:00 PM »
TG member Moebow has several youtube videos and posts fairly often over on the Shooting Forum.  He's a great coach and knows his form stuff.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 10:03:00 PM »
Just get that first thousand arrows downrange and then get back to us...you are already shooting fine for just starting out...you are a traditional shooter now...no need to sweat the small stuff...by the end of that second thousand arrows you should be ready to do some fine tuning

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 10:08:00 PM »
I feel better - I thought the 600 would work and If I sent you the wrong arrow - oooyyyy!

The 600 axis is hitting the target nice and straight. I would grab a couple of them and mbb 3 and 4. You will be off and running.

Most important thing - HAVE FUN!!!!
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline hntngrl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »
Sorry, what is mbb 3 and 4? I don't know all the lingo yet  :)  That Axis arrow is my favorite one...of course it would be the most expensive one, too! Haha

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 10:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by hntngrl:
Sorry, what is mbb 3 and 4? I don't know all the lingo yet   :)   That Axis arrow is my favorite one...of course it would be the most expensive one, too! Haha
They are videos by some sponsors here called masters of the bare bow.  

very informational and fun to watch.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©