3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Update on female newbie..  (Read 809 times)

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Update on female newbie..
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2013, 10:21:00 PM »
Hey Laura,

You are new like brand new so yeah you suck! You would be a total freak if you shot awesome groups on day one! Don't worry about tuning yet. Focus on good form and stay close. When you have the basics of form down and you can keep a reasonable group at 10 yards start thinking about tuning. Also if you bare shaft tune do it at the distance you shoot. So if you most accurate at 10 yards tune them there. As you improve move back and increase the distance. Good luck and nice bow.

Offline hntngrl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2013, 10:24:00 PM »
Thanks!

Is there a reason the GT 600 spine doesn't fly quite as well as the Axis 600 spine? The GT's are about $50 cheaper per dozen  :)

Offline heartlandbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2013, 10:24:00 PM »
Laura, not sure where ya are in Iowa but Nebraska Traditional Archers has our annual rendezvous Saturday and Sunday of Labor Day weekend in Fremont not to far from Omaha. Lots of good people to get you and your husband on the right track.
Link nebraskatraditionalarchers.org

Cory

Offline hntngrl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2013, 10:27:00 PM »
Thanks for the invite  :)  Unfortunately I live on the complete opposite side of Iowa. Davenport, to be exact!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2013, 10:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by hntngrl:
Thanks!

Is there a reason the GT 600 spine doesn't fly quite as well as the Axis 600 spine? The GT's are about $50 cheaper per dozen   :)  
are they the same length?  also do they have the same weight inserts/points up front.

half the fun is trying to figure out what works for you.  I cannot reiterate enough how nice it is to shoot with other people who know their stuff.  The learning will be much quicker and the frustration levels will be cut tremendously.  

Others have said it, keep it fun, you will get there.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline hntngrl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2013, 10:34:00 PM »
The Gold Tip is 28.5" and the Axis is 29". Both have a 200g tip on the end.

Offline hntngrl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2013, 10:38:00 PM »
Also - if I do buy a dozen Axis arrows, does it matter if they are the black ones or the wood grain ones? The black is the one I'm shooting now.

Offline heartlandbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2013, 10:40:00 PM »
Ugh 5 1/2 hrs is a bit of a drive. Should be plenty of trad archers your way just takes time to find them. Go to your local club some one will be shooting traditional gear.

Offline Angus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2013, 10:41:00 PM »
From proper form, all good things spring.  Man oh man, I'm beginning to "wax poetic"!  Somebody get me another cigar!  Seriously, focus on one thing at a time; don't overload yourself and try to do too much.  Practice doesn't make perfect-that's garbage!  PERFECT PRACTICE makes perfect.  Most importantly, for all of us today, this is a hobby.  Take it back a thousand years, and it wasn't a hobby, but a matter of the utmost seriousness.  We're all lucky that it's just a hobby now!  Small steps, focus on the small steps and pay attention to detail; the rest will come in a while.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2013, 11:18:00 PM »
Also - if I do buy a dozen Axis arrows, does it matter if they are the black ones or the wood grain ones? The black is the one I'm shooting now.
Nope just about aesthetics.

Offline hntngrl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2013, 11:35:00 PM »
But will the wood grain ones fly exactly the same? I notice the GPI is different and the insert weight is different.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2013, 11:52:00 PM »
I am around for another 2 weeks, then off to western WY till early October. Bring your bow and your beau and come on over for some shooting pointers anytime, just call ahead - only an hour away. Have indoor shooting so evenings OK too.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2013, 12:09:00 AM »
Gotta change the toenail color to cammo!  You are doing great and there are many here proud of you. Welcome aboard
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2013, 12:14:00 AM »
I doubt that the wood grain will fly exactly the same. They are slightly different arrows, but you should still be able to tune them to your bow. You could also try ordering some Easton Trad Only shafts from 3Rivers. The 600 spine is a smaller diameter like the axis, but they are much cheaper, and use a conventional style insert instead of the HIT's. I believe you can also order them in half dozens.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2013, 01:00:00 AM »
But will the wood grain ones fly exactly the same? I notice the GPI is different and the insert weight is different.
Close enough for government standards at bow hunting ranges. I looked a the specs looks like axis black is 7.5 and axis wood grain is 7.9 gpi. You will have to practice a long time to notice that kinda of weight difference. In a 28 inch arrow that's a weight difference of  10 grains. If you were an Olympic archery then yes but, shooting a long bow for 3d or hunting no way.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2013, 03:55:00 AM »
Originally posted by Shaun:
I am around for another 2 weeks, then off to western WY till early October. Bring your bow and your beau and come on over for some shooting pointers anytime, just call ahead - only an hour away. Have indoor shooting so evenings OK too.
Two things I look for on tradgang for good advice...a four digit or lower member number and a high post count...you have both...if I was closer I would be coming on over for some shooting pointers with cash or gifts in hand...and I would be listening very attentively

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline StickSlinger74

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2013, 10:09:00 AM »
Love the skins on your bow!  

Keep 'em sharp and shoot straight!
Buddy

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2013, 10:35:00 AM »
Congrats hntngrl on your new bow and welcome to the Gang. You are on the right path in trying to get your bow "tuned" first. However your arrows will fly better as your form gets better.Form is everything. Learn what good form consist of and work on just form. Don't worry about hitting the bullseye at first. I can tell by your smile that your having fun. That's what it's all about!
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline hntngrl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2013, 01:42:00 PM »
Thanks for all the comments. It is definitely fun! I haven't picked up my compound since I got the longbow...and that's saying something! But I will still be hunting with the compound this year since I'm not good enough to hunt the trad way this season. If I can get good enough before rabbit season starts, I might try to take a rabbit at 10 yards. I can usually get to within 10 yards of them around my house before they take off. It would be my first rabbit with any weapon. I would also like to take a duck or a goose sometime. Both of those are in abundance at the pond across the road from my house. From my deck to the water is about 30 yards. As long as the neighbors wouldn't mind, I think I could get a shot at one...once I improve. It's outside city limits so it would be legal as long as there are no PETA-types around..

Offline hntngrl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2013, 03:13:00 PM »
Here are a few more pics. My husband Tyson decided to do a glossy finish on his bow, and I liked the way it turned out so he did the riser area on my bow, too. His bow has a copperhead pattern on it. He is getting pretty good!! At least at 10 yards. I'm sure he's happy being better than me with his longbow because I usually beat him with the compound  ;)

Mine

His

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©