3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question on moonphase  (Read 502 times)

Offline tradarcher816

• Trad Bowhunter
Question on moonphase
« on: August 08, 2013, 06:21:00 PM »
I have a question, how many of you guys hunt by the moon phase?  For those that do, is it a strict rule for you guys? Or more a guideline?  I've never really hunted by the moon phase I've always just gone out in the woods when I had the time.  I'm curious about it so I thought I'd ask.  Thanks for the help.
Love God, Love your neighbor.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question on moonphase
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 06:29:00 PM »
I personally feel that the moon has no effect on deer movement. I've hunted during the middle of the day as suggested in some hunting articles on the subject and not seen a single deer. I've also done the same thing during other moon phases and seen lots of during the middle of the day. I really only let weather dictate my hunting setups. Ultimately I think it boils down to being in the right place at the right time.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 06:51:00 PM »
the only thing that I have noticed over the years is, if the moon is visible in the day time, I have saw more deer that day...not real scienctific, just fact....
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 06:58:00 PM »
theres something to the moon phases, (but im not gonna not hunt) just because the moon phase is wrong for that particular day.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 07:26:00 PM »
What arrow30 said.  I hunt when I can, but the moon does affect deer movements.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline tradarcher816

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 09:18:00 PM »
Thanks guys, I've still got a lot to learn about a lot of things lol.  So thanks for the help.
Love God, Love your neighbor.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 09:23:00 PM »
i have the book hunting whitetails by the moon. and its good read but i have not personally seen the findings. esp hunting around full moon. it says its about the best. but i find its usually worst. they will stay in there beds later. the book is very believing though. but i dont see it. maybe on undisturbed penned deer idk.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
Weather and season have to be figured into the equation where moon phase is concerned. Quickly rising or falling barametric pressure will trigger activity and is a more reliable indicator.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 12:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by Knawbone:
Weather and season have to be figured into the equation where moon phase is concerned. Quickly rising or falling barametric pressure will trigger activity and is a more reliable indicator.
I agree.   I pay more attention to the weather forecast than the "rut calendars".
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline stickandstring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 05:46:00 AM »
I dont have the successes around a full moon like I do with the other phases. My 40 years worth.
Let it fly ->>------>

Offline stickandstring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 05:47:00 AM »
I dont have the successes around a full moon like I do with the other phases. My 40 years worth.
Let it fly ->>------>

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 06:27:00 AM »
2X on the full moon, I don't waste my time during the day and night hunting is not allowed here.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 06:33:00 AM »
I do believe the moon can be a factor, but as said, there are other things like weather, rut, etc. that I think are more important.  I hunt anytime that I can and don't factor the moon into it.  About the only time I take it into consideration is if I am planning a trip out of state.  I would prefer not to have a full moon fall during the middle of the trip.  But I wouldn't stay home because of it either!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 08:09:00 AM »
I agree Whip,  It is well known that the moon affects us on earth, from the tides, to certain spawning fish, to the critters and even us,  Work in the public sector or directly with people and you can see this every full moon.  

The word "lunatic" is an old moniker regarding the moons (bad) effect on some folks that lose thier mind during the full moon.

Exactly HOW it affects critters like deer may be less known for certain, but there is an effect.

All of that aside,  I hunt when I have the chance and try not to pre-load the hunt with bad information (wrong moon phase, bad time of month etc), I just go...
ChuckC

Offline dcmeckel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 08:24:00 AM »
My Dad gave me a book "Moon up-Moon down". It was written by John Alden Knight.It is a very good read. He also published a booklet, The Solunar Tables, that one could purchase on a yearly basis. It may still be available.
David

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 12:55:00 PM »
i do think there is something to the moon phase and animal movement, but of course the weather plays a much bigger part. Just to kinda check it out i will see what the "peak" movement times are listed for and full moon vs 1/2 moon etc  and i have noticed a marked increase of general game movement around these times .. and i see less movement in the mornings on a full moon but more mid day activity.. i do take it all into consideration when planning a hunt, but of course i hunt anytime i can
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Tony Z

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 01:31:00 PM »
The only rule I stick to is to spend as much time in the woods from November 1st through the 20th. Regardless of weather or moon phase. Of course thats up here in New York. I've shot my share of deer when weather or moon phase was supposedly not ideal.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 01:33:00 PM »
I hunt when I can also, but the last few years I have noticed increased sightings and success for me with a full moon at the beginning of rut.  Years ago I would avoid the full moon at that time, but becoming a better hunter and learning my area better increased my success with the full moon
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Stumpknocker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »
Down here it helps to hunt late morning and mid-day during the full moon.  It's a good excuse to sleep in and have lazy hunt.  What I do depends on cold fronts and weather in general more than the moon, though.  Hunt when you can is rule #1, esp. during the rut.  TG
Let's go to the woods and learn things about life (Penelope, age 4, to me).  

plx osage 62" 56@28
sax bocote 60" 54@28
Morrison Shawnee 56" 56@28

Offline skunkhound

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2013, 05:30:00 PM »
I started using a solanar app last year, and it was surprisingly accurate. Could've been total coincidence, but when I did see deer, it was within the high activity time window. My friend who turned me on to it doesn't bother going into the woods until an hour before peak, and he's been very successful.  
 I have a full time job, and a family, so I like knowing that if I'm gonna take a day to hunt, at least one factor may be favorable. I do agree that weather is probably a bigger factor, but I'm convinced moon phase matters too.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©