3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quiters?  (Read 471 times)

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
Quiters?
« on: August 08, 2013, 07:59:00 PM »
Ever had a hunting buddy quit on you in the field?  Last year I my elk trip cut short by my hunting partner who gave up.  He said he didn't realize we would be walking up and down mountains (I told him) and that it just wasn't fun for him anymore.  I made the mistake of carpooling in with him and had to go.  I let him know how I felt.  I am giving him another chance this year but I am driving myself.
I am a hunt until the last day's legal shooting hours end kind of guy.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quiters?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 08:04:00 PM »
:clapper:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 08:10:00 PM »
Didn't know that elk hunting involved mountain hikes??? This guy is obviously not a rocket scientist. Good luck.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline HighTecRedNeck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 08:19:00 PM »
I am thinking I would have had to tie him up and take the truck keys  :)
You either do or you don't, there is no try

All The Way !

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 08:20:00 PM »
Not all elk hunting involves hiking mountains...we have a farmland elk season in my area for the first time ever this year...on the other hand even hunting farmland elk can be pretty draining...I call elk whitetails on steroids...not a game animal for the weak willed

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 08:22:00 PM »
10:1 he pulls the same stunt this year
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 08:22:00 PM »
Tell him to bring along a few good books, and maybe a bottle of whatever suits his fancy, and if he gets too bored/tired of the hunting, that you hope he enjoys himself back in camp the best he can until the end of the hunt.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
Sometimes good friends are not necessarily good hunting partners.  I am setting up my camp like I will be hunting alone and will appreciate the company if he sticks around.

Western Washington elk territory is not know for its lack of topography.
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »
You need to find a better hunting buddy.......I wish I lived closer....lol!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 08:37:00 PM »
We had plenty of Fireball Whiskey in camp.  I tend to be a little hard headed when it comes to woodland misery.  Years of humping a ruck in previous profession got me accustomed to the life sucking tick on my back.
I guess what realy makes the difference is that even with a stack full of tag soup I truly expect to see elk around the next bend on every hunt.
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 08:40:00 PM »
Yep elkhunting partners are harder to find then good wives.  It's best if they are the same person.

I've had partners quit on me a number of times.  Unlike you I've never asked them to go again.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 08:45:00 PM »
Never had anyone quit like that but we sure had a habitual whiner. We loved the guy and he was a good hunter but geez he could whine. It usually revolved around camp chores etc or when he wasn't seeing any game. Once, he and another friend were convinced I had set my stand up wind of them and that was why they only were seeing small bucks. Geez. But to his credit he could take it when we gave him a hard time or pulled a prank on him. Maddest I saw him was when I put a hen mallard in his bed while he was in the shower. Laid the ducks head on his pillow like it was asleep.
Member NCBA

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 08:48:00 PM »
Hoping not, but might the term "glutton for punishment" apply here?

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 08:49:00 PM »
Hunting partners, most often are for camp, not the mountains.  I share camps with a lot of people, but most of their ideas of how elk hunting is done are different than mine.  Not saying they are wrong...just different.  Most often we wave goodbye in the morning and say hello after dark, then they can go at their own pace and me at mine.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Butternutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »
Mountains got it own ways...Pilgrim!!      :goldtooth:
Blackwidow PSA 60"46@28
Toelke Whip 60"44@28
Toelke Classic 58"41@28
Blackwidow PTF V 58"51@28
=})})}=LAWMAN=>

Offline Bill Sant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 09:24:00 PM »
My father, gave me a pearl of wisdom that I always remember when going hunting with new guys.  He told me "I've hunted with a lot of people...........Once !!!".    Good hunting buddies are truly hard to come by

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 09:32:00 PM »
I like hunting with me, myself and I. Will all get along just fine, are the first ones out and the last ones back and we all like our cooking.  Snoring doesn't bug use either.
lll

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Walt Francis   --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hunting partners, most often are for camp, not the mountains. I share camps with a lot of people, but most of their ideas of how elk hunting is done are different than mine. Not saying they are wrong...just different. Most often we wave goodbye in the morning and say hello after dark, then they can go at their own pace and me at mine.

Yep
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline hedgerowhuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2013, 09:38:00 PM »
I got no problems with the mountains and my hunting partner is in better shape than me   :thumbsup:

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 10:57:00 PM »
Interesting topic. A friend and I have been planning a elk hunt for two years. I asked him last year to go and he said next year would be better. Now a month before we were to go he says he doesn't think he can do it and does not want to hinder my son and I.

I was ticked at first but I guess that is better than going and deciding the first day or two that he can't or does not want to continue. I guess I should be thankful he was upfront with me.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©