3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pack for out West?  (Read 670 times)

Online Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Pack for out West?
« on: August 09, 2013, 12:13:00 AM »
Still having a heck of a time deciding on a pack. As much as I would like one I simply cannot afford a Kifaru or Stone Glacier pack, too many other essentials to buy. Was looking into the Tenzing 6000 or Horn Hunter full pack. Need something that will hold 5-10 days worth of gear and be able to pack out a mule deer or elk quarters. Any advice? Has to be under $400
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pack for out West?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 12:32:00 AM »
I have the large badlands pack and see no reason to get anything else for long hauls
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 07:44:00 AM »
I don't have one but I have been impressed with the smaller Tenzings.  Packs are very personal things and I think they should be tried before you buy.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 07:56:00 AM »
I believe the guys at  www.rmsgear.com  ( sponsor) carry and use the horn hunters, you should give them a call. I don't see them on their website, but I'm pretty sure that's the line they sell and I seen them when I was in the shop the other day.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Online Matt Fowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 08:13:00 AM »
try Eberlestock, J34 Just One, compresses down to a nice daypack, very comfortable. I have carried 55 lbs with 5 days food with no problems. Have not hauled meat yet, hopefully this season.

http://www.eberlestock.com/

Offline Tim in Wa.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 08:21:00 AM »
Are you planning to hunt with your pack and whole camp on your back?
 If not you may want to think about getting an external frame pack to haul camp in and use a smaller day or fanny pack while you hunt.You can find pretty good deals on Kelty,Ospray or Dana Design packs.For me its just more difficult to draw my bow while wearing an external frame pack
Tim

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 08:59:00 AM »
X2 On the Eberlestock j34! Great day pack to multi day pack that will Hauls meat, pop up blinds, duck decoys, bear bait etc... great! I have had mine 5 seasons so far and still like new.

Online Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 09:39:00 AM »
I am going to hunt from a bivy camp, so mostly everything would be with me. I would drop the pack on the final stalk. I do lime how the Horn Hunter pack can be separated from the frame to be used as a day pack.
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline usmc1029

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 10:22:00 AM »
I just bought the full curl horn hunter for Colorado elk hunting.  Nice product, have not used it in the field but have been hiking with a 25 pound barbell plate in it and it is very comfortable. Like the idea of changing from backpack to carrier, very versatile.  Made in the USA.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 11:14:00 AM »
Here is my Colorado Elk pack. I bought it on here for $100. I used it on two 2 week elk hunts in the back country of Co. The packs clip off so you can use them for a day pack or fanny packs. It holds a ton of stuff. I had the Badlands 4200 but sold it since it is very hard to organize or get stuff out.

It doesn't have to be expensive to be good. This is the Dwight Schuh pack. I was very happy with this pack.

TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 11:16:00 AM »
Bison gear, they have a 4500 that is awesome. The elkhunter I believe is the name. I bought mine for under $400 and it will last a life time! Shawn
Shawn

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 11:21:00 AM »
Otherbthan the camo fabric, what makes these packs "hunting" packs?  Seems like there are a lot of great choices in the backpacking packs that would work just fine...   :dunno:

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 03:19:00 PM »
Hey Shawn looking forward to the bunny hunt again. Can't wait to see you guys.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 03:49:00 PM »
Jacob,

The reason the packs you mentioned are so expensive is they carry a HEAVY load like an external.  

If you don't mind making an extra trip back to the truck where you have a freighter frame to carry your heavy load, you can get by with most of the daypacks mentioned.  They are all pretty decent with 30# in them, but you put #100 pounds in them and it is going to make you wish you spent the extra money...that is said with experience. I was young and had more brawn than brains at one point too    ;)  

If you can find an OLD Coleman frame Schuh pack, that might be your best option from a cost perspective.  The newer Remington branded ones broke a LOT with moderate loads.

Find a used Cabelas Alaskan and make an extra trip and hunt out of an Eberlestock X2.  If it were me and I had a year before I   really needed it, I'd find a way to put an extra $25 a month into my kitty and get your Stone Glacier.  Look Kurt up, maybe he needs help in the shipping department!

Offline Tracks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 03:54:00 PM »
If you are a college kid on a budget, just buy a large backpacking pack on one of the many outlet websites.

I have never found much of a need for a "hunting specific" pack. That sort-of-quiet camo fabric they use on "hunting packs" is heavier than dirt and you can't be that quiet wearing a large pack anyway, so don't worry about it. Use the pack to get to and from your hunting spot, then ditch it and hunt.

Internal frames work great if you are boning out your meat. External frames are probably better for elk quarters.

If you are looking to spend top dollar some day, Mystery Ranch is right there in Bozeman and they make solid packs for heavy loads.

You can probably find a good used pack in Bozeman too, lots of outdoorsy folks constantly upgrading gear.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 05:02:00 PM »
Here is my hunting partner with his Badlands 4200. The next year he bought the Cabealas Alaskan Outfitter Pack and Frame. It is on sale now at Cabealas for $239. It has a sturdy pack frame that would work great packing out meat.

Here is a link to the pictures of the Alaskan. Check out the pack frame on this one.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/largeImagePopup.jsp?productId=1165425&cImage=s7_517727_999_01

Here is a picture of his Badlands. The next year he had the Alaskan. That is going to be my next pack if my Schuh bites the dust somehow.

TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 05:05:00 PM »
Gil, you boys tale a LOT of stuff elk hunting!     :D

Offline Tatonka17

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 05:10:00 PM »
I've owned the Horn Hunter packs, and they're great.  I just picked up a Tenzing 6000 this year, and while I haven't packed it into the woods yet, I really like some of the features.  I'm 6'2" and the Tenzing 6000 seems to fit a longer Torso a little better.  Also, I think I can get more gear in the Tenzing.  Just my 2 cents.

Offline Longbowz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 05:12:00 PM »
Tracks just gave some sound advice...

What I do is carry a Cabelas bow pack as my daypack.  It has aluminum stays that will carry a reasonable load back to the truck.  After that I switch to a Cabelas Alaskan I for the rest of the trips.  Works well for me but I'm just one opinion and there are as many as there are posters.
I find the older I get, the less I used to know!

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2013, 05:16:00 PM »
Steve we went in for 14 days. 14 days of food alone fill a pack.

The auction site has one new with tags for $199 shipped. I may need to get that for next year. A cheap Hollander like me can never pass up a deal! Ha!

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©