3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pack for out West?  (Read 672 times)

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pack for out West?
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2013, 05:56:00 PM »
Do yourself a favor and buy a Marine corp ILBE off of the big auction site.  Can buy them in the $50-100 range all day and it's an incredible pack.  If I didn't have a Kifaru that's what I'd run!

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2013, 08:57:00 PM »
That ILBE pack looks nice. 4500 inches and $65.

I have an alice pack but that is like you are carrying a dozen mortars with you before you fill it.
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2013, 09:27:00 PM »
I would buy a pack that is not hunting dedicated for that kind of work and save some money for the performance You don't need camo, stealth fabric or any of the bells and whistles. Any big pack that can haul ten days worth of food and shelter etc can carry an elk quarter.

I am lucky, but you can get 300 dollar packs that are 3 or 4 years old used on CL in my area for under 150.00 all the time. Good packs too- top of the line.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline dlnwohio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2013, 10:21:00 PM »
Gil if you get another pack I'll take that eberlestock one you snagged up a couple months ago here in the classifieds. By the way it was great getting to meet you and your hunting partner in Waldron last year.

Offline karrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »
i have a badlands 4200 and i like it. as far as comfort and hauling heavy loads its great. like Gil said it could use a few more smaller pockets for organization. i get along great with mine (elk hunting CO). my friend had a Cabelas frame pack i didnt use it but we loaded it down with meat. has anyone mentioned mystery ranch packs. they are to high dollar for me but people seem to like them
Kevin Day

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2013, 10:37:00 PM »
David that wasn't me. I didn't buy an Eberlstock.

That ILBE looks real nice. Made for the Marines so it probably cost the government $1200 per pack. $65 with the assault pack and lid seems like a great deal.

I like to be able to organize my stuff in my pack, but I think I may have to pick up one of them. That is a lot of pack for little money.
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2013, 10:51:00 AM »
Hey Jacob, packs are like almost everything else and are very personal. Most have subtle differences that you'll notice only after hunting with them for a season. There are brands I won't ever buy again, yet others have had great luck with that brand. I've been usingto the KUIU pack the last couple years. It fits me great and is real light. See if you can find some guys around Bozeman that'll let you try theirs during the offseason. Good luck!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2013, 10:57:00 AM »
I like my ILBE. It is in the same weight range as my Eberlestock but fits me better and can hual some heavy loads with ease.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2013, 06:14:00 PM »
I picked up a Cabelas Alaskan Outfitter pack like Gil V. is talking about from another Tradganger.  It has a lot of of room and functionality and I like the idea of the freighter frame should I score on something. Heading out to elk country in a few weeks, I'll let you know how well it worked after I return.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2013, 11:08:00 AM »
Man am I getting old. David told me I bought a eberlestock pack. I went down stairs looking for a Thermocell I have. What do I find but a eberlestock pack. Hmmm, I wonder what else I bought I don't remember! I was just going to buy a ILBE pack too.

Thanks David

Gil

PS - David do you remember what I paid for it?
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2013, 04:02:00 PM »
Whatever you get make sure it can hold about 150 lbs. without breaking. You may not carry that much but you need the strength in the pack. Meat weighs a lot more than gear. I always bone everything out now if it is legal to do so in the hunting area. Takes up a lot less room and I'm not carrying out a bunch of bones that I'm going to through away anyway. Gary

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2013, 06:38:00 PM »
If interested I have a Dwight Schuh Mega Pack that was used once on a trip to Haiti. I would be willing to make you great deal if interested.  I have his smaller pack and don't really need the bigger one.
Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Online Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
with the Schuh pack, is it capable of hauling meat and gear?
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
X2 on the Dwight Schuh pack. It is very modest, but I got mine on the classifieds here for $90 and it does all I need.

I don't pack the meat out as I have an outfitter that does that for me.

Good luck!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »
I've had an Eberlestock and it doesn't hold a candle to the ILBE as far as carrying weight.  KUIU either, watched an early one snap, crackle, and pop when loaded with about 100 lbs.  The owner had just bought it and was quite upset.  Said he would be sending it back as soon as he got home.

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2013, 07:16:00 AM »
I haven't personally packed meat out with it but I see no reason why it wouldn't get the job done. I can email you some pics if you would like. Just PM me.
Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2013, 08:12:00 AM »
The only time I packed out meat was with an external frame pack. I don't know how a internal frame pack would be. I assume they have come along way and some would be just fine.

My hunting partner gave me a frame for the Cabealas Alaskan. He had the frame and then bought the entire pack the next year.

I still like the ILBE and am going to give one a try. You can't beat $65 for the pack, lid and assault pack. The government really has high standards for what there equipment has to do.

David I am going to pick up a ILBE. I will compare it to the Schuh and Eberlstok. If the ILBE is good with frame from the Alaskan I will work it out for you with the Eberlstok. Especially since if it wasn't for you I wouldn't have known I even had it!

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline dlnwohio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2013, 11:11:00 AM »
Sounds good gil just keep me posted. I sure like my eberlestock just one, let me know what you think of your comparison

Online Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2013, 11:09:00 PM »
Is the ILBE pack an internal frame? And also can the smaller part be removed to use as a day pack? Made by Arcteryx looks like a solid pack, anybody have a place to check reviews n such besides the auction site?
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline hoosierbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2013, 10:15:00 AM »
I bought ilbe for an elk hunt this year the top lid really can't be used as a separate pack. I believe you can get an assault pack that will attach to the main pack but I think it would be heavy
I trimmed all the rubber, extra strapping , and buckles from mine and got it down to 7.5 lbs. I've been carrying 70 lbs with mine for 5.8 miles for training it's comfortable if your waist is smaller than 36 you will need med. waist belt the large is to big for me

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©