3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: TAMERLANE Needs EXPERT Finish Help  (Read 109 times)

Offline Drewster

• Trad Bowhunter
TAMERLANE Needs EXPERT Finish Help
« on: August 09, 2013, 04:11:00 PM »
I purchased this '63 Tamerlane about a week ago and need some expert finishing help and advice.  Some owner in the past must have tried to cut the riser a little closer to center and probably had a HUGE surprise when they cut through the original finish.  The rosewood underneath is really dark per the image.

This ole Bear deserves a good restoration.  The riser is the only problem area.  The rest of the bow is very nice for its age.  As you can see in the image, Bear must have used a multi step finish with several coats of a light yellow ochre glaze to hide the very dark riser wood, yet allowing the grain to show through.

I've refinished several bows, but this one may be beyond my skill level to do it well.  Who out there in the archery world is capable of restoring this riser to match the original finish?  Thanks for any help and ideas.

Carolina Traditional Archers
North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TAMERLANE Needs EXPERT Finish Help
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »
Take some more pictures of that bow and start another thread in the history/collecting section...that is where that gorgeous bow will really get appreciated

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TAMERLANE Needs EXPERT Finish Help
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 08:54:00 PM »
That old rosewood lightens  dramatically with age. The finish didn't make it light. You, or the person you have do the work,  will need to sand down the rest of the riser to bring out the old beauty and luster of that gorgeous wood.
It will be a beauty!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©