3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Plunger opinions?  (Read 268 times)

Offline Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
Plunger opinions?
« on: August 09, 2013, 09:02:00 PM »
Who shoots or has shot a plunger on their bow and what are your thoughts?  I recently picked up a qarbon nano from ABS, the new riser with last years limbs and the bow shoots absolutely amazingly but I have to admit that I'm not thrilled with having a plunger.  Anybody hang in there with one and like it?
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Plunger opinions?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 09:13:00 PM »
I have shoot a Qarbon Nano sence they first came out and I love it. I have eleven bows and Storm (my Nano) is the only one that I shoot now. She goes everywhere I go all over the 50 states and Canada too.
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Offline Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 09:35:00 PM »
Yeah I have no problems with the bow it's great, I'm wondering more about hunting and shooting with a plunger

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 10:46:00 PM »
I used a Berger button or plunger on my Kittredge one piece recurve. Loved it...wish I could have all my bows drilled and tapped for a cushion plunger.

I used it in conjunction with a flipper rest. You need to adjust the arrow so it's slightly left of your string....not in perfect alignment with the bow string. This is due to shooting with fingers and the paradox.

With different tension springs that came with the Berger button, you can easily adjust to your shooting style.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline el greco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 11:43:00 PM »
What is your current configuration?are you shooting of the self?Are you using elevated rest and plunger?if yes which rest and which plunger?I don't see where the problem is hunting with a plunger
From my cold,dead hands..

Offline el greco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 11:45:00 PM »
Also please please make aYouTube video with the bow!I really want to buy that bow for Christmas..please tell us more about it and post pics
From my cold,dead hands..

Offline Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 12:14:00 AM »
El Greco....it's sweeeet...I'm just not used to looking at the plunger which is messing with my head.  I'll start another thread with pics and a write up.  They didn't have QN2 limbs in my weight so they hooked me up with a QN2 riser and the close out limbs.  I honestly can't see how the newer ones could be better.  I just need to get used to a punger.

Offline Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 12:15:00 AM »

Offline Tutanka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 12:19:00 AM »
IMO the plunger is the single most forgiving thing you can put on a bow.  It will correct release errors, whereas a  bow without one will not.  Learn how to tune it properly and you will fall in love with it. Tuning for tens is a great resource for tuning a plunger.  My hunting bow has had a plunger on it for years.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 11:46:00 AM »
Absolutely love the Strickland I put on my TT Titan! It is a springy with cushion plunger. I almost had a custom Schafer drilled for it .... wish I had and it would probably be hunting with me this fall instead of the TT.

Offline pcg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 11:52:00 AM »
I've been shooting the Q Nanos for about 6 mths--I have a LH and RH version, both w/ the new grip. The plunger is simply no issue. Not worth even thinking about it. It does exactly what it's intended to do. Arrows shoot a truer trajectory, are smoother and I'd guess about 10% more accurate.

I love my many trad longbows, but the QNs are irreproachable as superb weapons.
-1 John Schulz RH bows
-2 TimberHawk Monarchs LH, RH
-3 GP Swift T/Ds, LH & RH; GP Long Curve RH
-3 Dave Miller longbows LH, RH
-3 Rempp selfbows

'Bow' in Greek means life but its work is death. -Heraclitus

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 12:04:00 PM »
Watch some Olympic style recurve shooting on YouTube and tell me that those folks do not sometimes shoot in conditions that would keep us home from hunting that day...then note how many of those people are shooting without a plunger...I just bought a Hoyt Desperado and you can bet I will be shooting it with some sort of plunger...if looking at the plunger is messing with your head stop looking at it and pay attention to how easy it is to shoot and tune that bow with it

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2013, 06:52:00 PM »
I am shooting a Cavaler plunger off the shelf on 54 and 65 lbs limbs .   There is a thread here called plugers and center shot you can look up that hs a lot of info. In it from people who helped me set mine up.  One extra piece of info for you is to follow the arrow with the plunger.  Set the spring hard then shoot 3 arrows : move the plunger half a round in the direction of the arrows then when on target use the spring tuning to get the fine tuning dialed in.
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Offline pcg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2013, 07:30:00 PM »
The Q Nano plunger also comes with instructions. Use those as they are quite explicit and not overly complicated. Use of the plunger is not difficult, and normally takes 5-15 minutes to setup. Once setup, you rarely have to make adjustments, or--unless you switch arrow weights--think about it again.
-1 John Schulz RH bows
-2 TimberHawk Monarchs LH, RH
-3 GP Swift T/Ds, LH & RH; GP Long Curve RH
-3 Dave Miller longbows LH, RH
-3 Rempp selfbows

'Bow' in Greek means life but its work is death. -Heraclitus

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 07:55:00 AM »
I don't have a Nano, but have shot plungers on a few different bows.  I prefer the T-300 rest and a shorty plunger.  You can adjust the spring tension to really fine tune your arrows.  I have a couple other plungers, but because the shorty doesn't stick out very far on the back side, it is the one I prefer on my hunting bows.  The longer ones can be in the way, especially is you are using a bow mounted quiver.

Offline Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2013, 10:36:00 AM »
Thanks guys I'm going to stick with it...the bow shoots great and tuning is a dream...I just won't look at it hah

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©