3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lets talk hunting seats and setups.  (Read 470 times)

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
Lets talk hunting seats and setups.
« on: August 10, 2013, 10:29:00 AM »
Over the years I have used about every type of seat or chair there is. Tripod, Torges, director type, bucket, etc. I always end up going back to knee pads sitting to the side of a tree with some back cover. That system works well for me but age is slowly creping in and every year 4-5 hours+ on my knees hurts a little more.

I think my main problem is I always feel like I'm either sitting to high up or I'm to exposed sitting in a chair for the type of hunting I do. I hunting a lot of public land and don't like changing or moving too much brush or letting everyone know where my honey holes are. I have given some thought to the Hammock seat but I'm not sure how it will fit into that style of hunting?

What do you guys think?

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lets talk hunting seats and setups.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 10:50:00 AM »
Waldrop-packseat is the way to go.
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 11:03:00 AM »
If I have cedar clusters, dense high brush or standing corn I use a Huntmor, for hardwoods I looks for clusters of three or four basswoods close together and use a strap on or a homemade Torges. I tried using a butt pad and a turkey hunting seat with my back up against a tree. If you have just two trees or some close by brush or anything that can break up a side view that works best. However, right handed I cannot seem to shoot the short bow that would be required for that position. A longbow tends either be too close to the tree or into the hillside. With the Torges or the Grizzly strap-on I always wear a butt pad that is looped on my belt as I have no natural padding in that area. Nothing makes me more restless than getting TB.

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 11:41:00 AM »
Seat from my Lone Wolf hand climber has worked well for me.  Very light to carry and adjustable to different setups.
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 12:13:00 PM »
Rob,thanks for the reminder. I was going to make a special seat this year. When I was much younger I used to kneel down behind natural cover but my  legs fall asleep,my knees get sore,and my cat quiver hits my heels. I thought about making a seat that is low enough that you can sit on in a kneeling position. Kind of like you see in a shoe store. I think they are about 8-10 inches wide. I'll have to do a little research and development.(research and development sounds better than trial and error)

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 12:35:00 PM »
PAC seat here. With a small day pack attached.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 12:37:00 PM »
Get off your knees, you'll thank yourself in later years. The knee pads help, but crouched down for several hours is too much on those joints.
I don't have any experience with seats so am no help in that regard. But a friend uses 3 or 4 stakes with a camo burlap "blankie" idea for a small, very portable blind in front. Forked tree for a back cover and you wouldn't be giving your position away to 2 or 4 legged critters.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »
Sorry....I'm a Torges fan.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 01:31:00 PM »
I may build another Torges seat. I always end up giving them away.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 02:13:00 PM »
HUNTMORE 360  Quiet,360 swivel, made strong,Knees and butt feel good at end of day..
 All most forgot some folks have been known to fall asleep for hours in these things  and also makes a good  outdoor anything  chair and Scott will be there if you ever need him ...  :thumbsup:

Offline Beto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 02:45:00 PM »
I use a LaFuma Pop up chair. I just sprayed green/black the aluinium frame and it is a very comfortable seat. I have stayed there in all day hunts with little discomfort. It does take some adjustment to shoot from it, but with a few shots you can get it. I use the front legs as pivot points to swivel and lean forward. It keeps me close to the ground, it is light, easy to pack and has worked great for me the last two years.  

The PAC seat looks nice, who makes/sales it?

Beto Carrillo

A&H Two-piece longbow / Shrew Lil' Recurve / Black Swan Three-piece Recurve

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 04:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by Butchie:
Seat from my Lone Wolf hand climber has worked well for me.  Very light to carry and adjustable to different setups.
I do this all the time, works great.  Add a bungie cord and it folds up or down silently if you want to stand.

I bought a Huntmore 360 a while back, it seems very nice and is quite comfortable, but I haven't used it much yet.  It sure is a lot heavier than the LW seat.  It's nice if there isn't the right tree in the right spot and since it swivels it opens up shooting possibilities.  It swivels quietly too.

I still shoot the best on my knees.  Unfortunately kneeling isn't comfortable for me for long stretches.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2013, 09:07:00 PM »
I used a pac-seat last year and was very happy with it. I will say there are times where a Torges is really the ticket. Very, very mobile and quick to set up, like when the wind does a sudden change but you don't want to leave the spot your in cause it's smoke'n hot with sign.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2013, 09:55:00 PM »
Rob, have you ever tried just standing? Standing in front of a big tree with the wind in your face can be very productive ( if you can stand it!) I do like to sit were I can move for a shot when one is presented, but I don't like carrying one. I'm thinking of making one similar to a pedistal seat on a bass boat.That way I can stand at the ready, but take some weight off my legs. Something like a walking stick with a pop on ten speed bike seat.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2013, 10:36:00 PM »
Check out the hammock seat from fanatic outdoors. It is light to carry and super comfortable. And it will not break the bank, about $50.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2013, 11:01:00 PM »
I don't hunt from the ground to much but when I do I use the top of my Lone Wolf. It's comfortable 15' up and 2' off the ground.

Offline Beto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2013, 11:54:00 PM »
Lone wolf products look really nice and high quality, will have to get my hands on one to try it. thanks for the tip.
Beto Carrillo

A&H Two-piece longbow / Shrew Lil' Recurve / Black Swan Three-piece Recurve

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2013, 07:51:00 PM »
Rob, I am a Torges fan also. I'm not that old yet, but back surgery last year has me needing to sit higher than usual for me. I don't like sitting up too much because of exposure reasons. I feel the lower you sit, the better. I have worked out  where i can be on the torges seat and just slide forward onto my knees with out much movement. Then you don't need to be on your knees all the time. Here is how low I sit.

I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2013, 07:56:00 PM »
I like the Double bull tri pod chairs...... :)
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2013, 08:15:00 PM »
I've used a cheap tripod for years but when I saw the Torges seat I had to have one. I like the portability of both.
Member NCBA

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©