3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Aluminum Arrow Help/Setup  (Read 386 times)

Offline wolfhunter4life

• Trad Bowhunter
Aluminum Arrow Help/Setup
« on: August 10, 2013, 12:48:00 PM »
Hi Fellas,
Switched from cedar to aluminum because I was having trouble getting good flight. I ordered an Easton Gamegetter test kit from 3 Rivers. I cut them to 29" since my draw is about 27.5" I have the 500s and 400s shooting pretty good bareshaft. The 500s seem to shoot better with a 175gr than the 400s can achieve with my heaviest field points of 225gr. Still showing a little stiff. I'm shooting these out of a Northern Mist Classic Longbow 58# @ 28". Am I in the ball park? I'd say the 500s are about right. I want to shoot XX75 camo for hunting, not a fan of shiny black shafts. Any help? Or different shaft size I should try? Thanks!  :deadhorse:
Northern Mist to the core. Archery is meant to be simple. A stick, a string, a shaft and meat on the table.

MOLON LABE.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Aluminum Arrow Help/Setup
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 01:12:00 PM »
I really like 2020 xx75.  I question your method of cutting the shafts down to that length then trying to force it to work with point weight.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 01:16:00 PM »
I draw 27", shoot 2117's out of all my bows...52# to 58#. I cut them 28.5" to the end of the point taper (I had mine swagged). My heads range from 125-160 grains.

If your bow is not center cut, 2016's should work.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline wolfhunter4life

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 01:16:00 PM »
I know. I hate a super long arrow. I should have started with 30" and then shorten as I go. I looked on the Easton shaft selector and I'm rated for a 500 Gamegetter or a 2018 XX75 so I'm super close. I do need to sand the nocks a touch, so they don't click on so hard.
Northern Mist to the core. Archery is meant to be simple. A stick, a string, a shaft and meat on the table.

MOLON LABE.

Offline wolfhunter4life

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »
Thanks Joe. My bow is not center cut, just a modern longbow. You think 2117s should work. Or 2016s, what is the difference. I want to shoot Camo xx75 fur hunting.

MOLON LABE.

Online DawgDoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 01:33:00 PM »
I think the 2016 will work because those black gamegetters that are a 500 are in reality a 2016 spined to 29". I think a 2117 will require a good bit of point weight out of a longbow like yours for good flight. The gamegetter 400 is a 2117 like you are already testing. If you want a little more point weight than 175 you could also try a 2018. 2018s usually shoot well out of a broad range of bow weights. There's nothing wrong with selecting a length shaft you like and adding weight. It's just as effective as removing length for tuning purposes.

Offline wolfhunter4life

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 02:06:00 PM »
I looked on the Easton site again it's telling me 2018s with 150s at 29" I want to shoot a point weight around 175-200 so I have a beefy arrow. The 2016s call for a lighter 125s head. The 2018s at 29" at 12.3 GPI gives me a total hunting weight around 530-550 depending on my broadhead weight total. I don't want to go much lighter in the FOC factor. I could always chop another 1/2" off but 29" will suffice. I am going to buy a dozen arrows and put a cap wrap and feathers on myself. I want to shoot a Magnus 2 blade Classic 135gr with adapter. Which feathers? I know LW not sure on the length. 4 or 5"

MOLON LABE.

Offline wolfhunter4life

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 02:38:00 PM »
The only other point I need to consider is that I am standing on level ground drawing to my full 27.5". When I'm hunting out of a tree and canting the bow I may not reach 27.5" depending on the angle. Maybe the 2016s would be the better option.

MOLON LABE.

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 03:10:00 PM »
Don't go by the Easton site. They are usually overspined. Shoot what flies the best from your bow. Everyone is a little different.
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Online DawgDoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 03:19:00 PM »
The easton spine chart is notoriously inaccurate. I think you will need more than 150gr point weight to get a straight bare shaft with a 2018 out of a bow cut before center like yours. The old easton spine charts put the 2016 at roughly a .530 and the 2018 at roughly a .460 just for comparison. I think that 2018 will need at least 200 gr and probably more like 225 gr for your bow based off your tuning results above. You might check stu's spine calculator. All things being equal your bow will like what it likes so trust your tuning results and look at those charts with one eye closed.

As for feathers I would go with 3 - 5" feathers or even 5.5" . Those will stabilize quick but feather size is really a personal choice so whatever you like best on that.

Offline wolfhunter4life

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 05:50:00 PM »
Thanks guy! I'll look at Stu's calculator.

MOLON LABE.

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 05:59:00 PM »
You don't need to sand your knocks. Dunk them in a cup of boiling water and work them open with a butter knife. If you go to far, then squeeze them back with a pliers. Work them so all you need to do is tap the string and the arrow falls of. This is from the Traditional Bowhunters Handbook by T.J. Conrads. 3rivers also sells a tool to open them also.
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Offline wolfhunter4life

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2013, 06:07:00 PM »
Thanks! I will do that in a minute. I punched the numbers into Stu's spine calculator and whamo, I'm within .1 pound of the 2016 size chart! Pretty amazing. That's the arrow I'll be shooting with a 175gr point. Of course I'll tune it but it will give me a great starting point.

MOLON LABE.

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2013, 10:02:00 PM »
Careful with getting your nocks too loose.  I tried that after reading a bunch of threads about it here and didn't realize how much more risk it creates for dry fires.  I was shooting my 60# $1,000+ bow and the nock pulled off the string at some point when I was drawing.  The arrow stayed pretty much in place in my fingers, and I didn't notice it until I released and the string shot past the arrow and the tip got ripped out of my top limb.  That was an expensive lesson.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2013, 10:07:00 PM »
Unlike most I believe you are darn close to where you need to be. I say stretch a newspaper tight between to chairs and put it in front of your target(make sure it is tight at all 4 corners) now  go back about fifteen ft, and make sure you are shooting level thru the paper and see what the hole looks like, bet it almost perfect. Shawn
Shawn

Offline wolfhunter4life

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2013, 11:12:00 PM »
I will try it tomorrow Shawn. I think I'm getting pretty close. Can hit the middle of my bag target consistently at 15 yards, and straight flight.

MOLON LABE.

Offline wolfhunter4life

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2013, 12:31:00 AM »
My only other question is this. I'm hunting this fall with this setup. Should I try the 2018s with a heavy FOC for an arrow weight of 630 grains or stay with the 2016s and a finished weight of 530? I'm no long range shooter and I prefer 20 yards or less when hunting. Will it make a huge difference. My quarry this fall are whitetail. I'm leaning towards 2016.

MOLON LABE.

Offline wolfhunter4life

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2013, 09:36:00 PM »
I just purchased some arrows from 3Rivers. My classic longbow with a Flemish string is 58 at 28. I draw 27ish, so I'm about 55 or so. I ordered Easton Legacy 2016 cut to 28.5 with 3, 5" LW. Stu's spine calculator says I'm golden with 200 grains out front. Am I in the ballpark? My total arrow weight is around 525. Thanks!

MOLON LABE.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »
Adam, I think the 2016 will work for you. I shoot 30" 2018 with 200g up front but I'm drawing 29+". I'm shooting a Classic & Shelton at about the same weight but longer draw.

Stu's calc will get you in the ballpark but after that you gotta do what the bow likes.

Eric

Offline wolfhunter4life

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2013, 10:14:00 PM »
Thanks!

MOLON LABE.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©