3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow requirements for bowfishing?  (Read 419 times)

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow requirements for bowfishing?
« on: August 10, 2013, 11:44:00 PM »
I've noticed some fiberglass arrows marketed for bowfishing, do you need something with that kind of water resistance or is it an issue of weight and kinetic energy after hitting the surface of the water?  I ask because I'd love to get some bowfishing in, and I wanted to know if I needed different arrows or if what I normally make would work.

I'll also ask this here, as I have gotten zero input in the other forum, but I've noticed that's just the way topics are there sometimes-what do you need for a successful alligator arrow?  I know some places sell complete ones, but they may be over 6" too short for my setups.  I'm gonna have to make my own, and I was wondering what people would recommend for the setups, and why-I don't know enough about arrow selection for trying to pierce gator hide, and I have a year to learn before I try next year.  Planning a bucket list hunt for my tribe's ancestral foe as well as to earn warrior status, at least in my heart.

I don't have any "I heard I should do X" ideas-I'm coming with no presuppositions.  I find it always helps me learn more when I don't think I know something.

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow requirements for bowfishing?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 02:16:00 AM »
If you are going to take up bowfishing Yes you will need to buy some fiberglass arrows they are tough,and yes again you will need the heavy arrow to maintain momentum through the water as wood and carbon and aluminum are all too light to get the job done there are special fish points too. Whatever bow you use you will need a adapter bushing on the front of the bow to mount your reel or you can just get an AMS bowfishing setup. as for the alligator setup I believe that requires a completely different setup,I believe the points that are used are made to come off of the arrow so you can fight/retrieve the victim most of the time they will require multiple shots to bring them in, them once next to the boat/shore or from whatever, a firearm is generally employed to dispatch the animal in order to claim your prize. with that said I have never been after Alligators YET!! but bowfishing is very addictive and fun!!!

Offline CoilSpring

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 04:14:00 PM »
Ed, don't know about gators, but here's one idea from another member, Yononindo (Daniel), for fish.  

Yes, a heavy arrow, like fiberglass, helps in penetrating deeper water & fish, but I've often wondered if you could front-weight a cane arrow below a node w/sand or lead split-shot, then seal it and add a heavy point also. Be creative...

Tim
CoilSpring

Offline Michael Golden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 05:03:00 PM »
No you don't need special heavy arrows. I have used a backquiver of old aluminums and old dull broad heads and have got the job done.  It's nice for long shots to have a string tied to the arrow. I keep shots close and stick them to the mud, it works great and I don't lose arrows.

Offline Phrogdrvr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 07:53:00 PM »
I used real heavy fiberglass arrows specially made for bowfishing.  They were solid fiberglass, can't remember how much they weighed.  I added a steel leader to the side of the arrow which attached through two sets of holes, one set fore, one set aft of the arrow.  The steel leader is what I attached the line to, it enabled me to come to full draw without pulling line off the reel.  The warhead on these arrows were Muzzy barbed fishing heads, they worked great.  They had heavy wire barbs, after they got the job done, you unscrewed the sharp tip of the head and rotated the barbs in the opposite direction.  Then you could remove the arrow from the fish.  This setup worked great for me.

Tom

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 08:09:00 PM »
Check the regulations for bow fishing in your state ..... :)
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 08:15:00 PM »
Tim, I'm making a set up like that (with field points to test) since my best shafts are all cane.  I can test it out, but I need to order a bundle of cane that's cut to length and spined somewhat as I haven't located any cane that I could get my hands on around here.  Tomato stakes are too variable.  These few should test just fine, and I can always modify as needed.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »
Years of trial and error led us to the plain white solid fiberglass shafts for bowfishing.  These work GREAT and for $3 each, it's hardly worth messing with anything else, JMHO.  The points tend to be pricey, but for the mileage I get from them they are worth it.  My favorites are the Shure Shot Penetrator and the wire barb Innerloc.  The Muzzys are pretty good, too.

Reels are a compromise that you'll have to figure out for yourself.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »
Look into the possibility of ordering some "fiberglass shafts, 5/16" or 11/32" daimeter.  These can usually be found a whole lot cheaper than you can get them for at the store AND I am guessing they come as 36" (or maybe up to 48" length's for your long arrow needs. Google and search

Chuck

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 12:33:00 AM »
Here in alabama the law says we have to use solid fiberglass arrows to bowfish with. Not sure about Fl. I know some people buy those fiberglass flag poles for bikes. You can get two or three arrows out of one of those. They dont need any flething on them the way most people bowfish.

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 01:36:00 AM »
Thanks for that, I hadn't seen any exact regulations but I knew they had to be there.  I know those flagpoles you speak of, I'll be locating some posthaste.  Still looking into the setup I'll need for next year, but this year I can still take some fish with my bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©